PDA

View Full Version : the best hunting accomadation?

mike.
09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I have been considering a wall tent, but was wondering what the best
sleeping arangements are. right now its the back of the truck for me.
what are your opinions....truck, camper, wall tent etc......:?:

quadrakid
09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
it,s all a matter of personal preference. since i,m driving from the island to the interior or the north,i like my wall tent. it doesn,t take up much room and i,m not burning fuel hauling a lot of weight. i also like having a large roomy toasty warm space. also don,t have to worry about blowing a tire or a wheel bearing on my tent.

tomahawk
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
To me the wall tent wins by a mile if you don't need to be mobile. Its much larger in usable space, its warmer, no condensation, you can dry clothes after a rainy day and its more comfortable. I've stayed in them all and prefer the wall tent anyday for more than 3 days stay.

huntcoop
09-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Wall tent by a mile. Best hunting trips EVER have been in a wall tent.

moosinaround
09-28-2008, 08:48 AM
10 ft camper, with a bathroom, forced air heat, large refridgerator, comfy queen sized bed, running hot and cold water. Lights sat. tv, and a lovely awning to BBQ under. Hard ridgid construction so it is a little thicker barrier to bear entry, so the wife will come hunting too! Weather proof, and it is portable, so a guy can move if it gets too busy in my hunting area. Moosin

rifleman
09-28-2008, 09:03 AM
It depends on where & when you want to hunt. A wall tent is quite versatile but if you hunt the early season the bugs will eat you alive. A camper is very comphy but you have to take it off to go anywhere. We hunt in the later season & we use a wall tent. Cheaper & easier .

Sunny
09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
wall tent cheaper and camper good too

09-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I was at the Hunting show at the Tradex a couple of years ago and saw this thing.

http://www.tipitent.com/

It seemed like it would be spacious and warm......don't know.....don't own one.

huntcoop
09-28-2008, 10:53 AM
.....so the wife will come hunting too! Moosin

We kinda like to leave the wives at home... :razz:

1/2 slam
09-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I bought the 12 x 12 ALAKANAK with a stove from Cabelas. It's fantastic.

Ironball
09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
We use 3 wall tents.2 tents for sleeping {5 guys} and 1 for dry goods{food ,jackets,toiletries ect.}.Can't beat the square footage you can get for the amount of room it takes in a utility trailer.

abbyfireguy
09-28-2008, 12:59 PM
We have used everything and they all were good...Truck camper,bed in the back with a canopy(that was abit cramped with two), Excellent wall tent with stove,tent trailer and now 23 ft lighter travel trailer.
Its nice to have the added security of the trailer and be able to stop and sleep on the way to and from hunting without the dreaded motel bills.
A nice large fridge and freeze are priceless on extended trips..
Moving camp isn't too bad with a trailer,but you have to watch the road condition.
We akso have a smaller Chalet trailer for late season mulie hunting . It looks like a tent trailer when folded down and an A frame when set up(which takes a minute or 2)..

msawyer
09-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi all..

I recently purchased a US military surplus 10 man arctic bell tent with a winter liner. Single pole setup, 3 ft. side walls, two doors w/ insect netting and over 9 ft. at the center pole. Weight is 85 lbs all in and good quality tents (no holes or rot) can be purchased for $650 from Crown Surplus in Calgary... probably other surplus stores as well... Came with collapsible light weight magnesium/aluminum center pole and skookum pegs. Warm, wind and snow load resistant tent for 2 to 4 guys that does not require frame setup... Just used it on a 10 day northern fly-in caribou hunt where the weather was generally foul and we were warm, dry and toasty...

I like it...

Best regards

Mike
________
Triumph Motor Company (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Triumph_Motor_Company)

Rock Doctor
09-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Wall Tent is the way to go, for the places I hunt.

mrdoog
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
"We use 3 wall tents"
Don't they get kind of chilly?

Mr. Dean
09-29-2008, 01:45 AM
10 ft camper, with a bathroom, forced air heat, large refridgerator, comfy queen sized bed, running hot and cold water. Lights sat. tv, and a lovely awning to BBQ under. Hard ridgid construction so it is a little thicker barrier to bear entry, so the wife will come hunting too! Weather proof, and it is portable, so a guy can move if it gets too busy in my hunting area. Moosin

Me too!
Versitile and great for keeping the wife happy. But no matter how big, they're really only ideal for 2 to live in. Love the furnace and the option of a hot 'ducky' bath, when needed (...like after dressing & hanging a muley). Freezer is great for stowing grouse. Bigger the fridge, the more beer it can hold :lol:....

I also tag along an 18' flatdeck trailer that I fashioned a light covering (PVC pipe, light tarps) that fully encloses it. This is great for when the rains hit. One can still enjoy being outdoors working the barbi or just taking in the scenery, in a dry and mud free enviourment.

For me, this combo is damed near perfect. :smile:

dino
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Try sleeping in a wall tent in minus 20+ weather. Those guys have to stoke the fire all night long and sleep close to the stove in their -40 sleeping bags. I will stick to my warm winterized forced air furnace camper. Ask where these guys sleep during the long hauls, theres no hotels in the bush at 10:00 at night and sleeping sitting up in a pickup is bushleague.Most guys in a camper are towing other off road equipment to get around on so no need to remove camper.

Barracuda
09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I like our camper , Just climb in the back and go to sleep if you are tired , its propane heater is the radiant heat type so it wont run a battery down and the way it is set up the truck goes most any where a 4x4 is expected to go and then some.

shureshot
03-23-2011, 05:17 AM
I was at the Hunting show at the Tradex a couple of years ago and saw this thing.

I have one the como hunter I love it

XPEIer
03-23-2011, 06:36 AM
In the last 4 years we have gone from tent trailer, to wall tent to camper and they all have thier perks.
Tent trailer is light to tow, but limited walking around room with guys and gear, pretty much get dressed outside
Wall tent, great except we had ground seepage and you have to stoke the fire
23ft trailer, great but expensive to haul into the bush and always the fear of that early heavy dump of snow.

If I had to do it again tomorrow (how i wish it was tomorrow), I would go back to the wall tent.

xpeier

lightmag
03-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Try sleeping in a wall tent in minus 20+ weather. Those guys have to stoke the fire all night long and sleep close to the stove in their -40 sleeping bags. I will stick to my warm winterized forced air furnace camper. Ask where these guys sleep during the long hauls, theres no hotels in the bush at 10:00 at night and sleeping sitting up in a pickup is bushleague.Most guys in a camper are towing other off road equipment to get around on so no need to remove camper.

WRONG!! stayed in a 14x14 wall tent last year deer hunting up north in novemeber, down to -25 to -30 PLUS wind!! , air tight stove, -10 sleeping bag on a cot, we all slept allong the back wall, the closest to the stove (6 feet away) was too hot, the rest of us were just fine, toasty warm, fire stoked/filled 1-2 times per night, no biggy!!

loved it, wall tents are the best, leave your boots on, occasional spill, who cares. I have a new travel trailer too and have used it, nice but more work, clean up, weight, less access to certain areas,.......if i coul donly have 1 it would be a wall tent hands down in ANY weather.

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Travel trailer or slide in camper, hands down. What I don't really like about tents are:

you have to put them up
you have to take them down
[and you have to do it again if you want to move]
you have to dry them out after hunt
once they get wet and freeze, they don't pack too well
they can collapse under heavy snow
bears walk right in
you have to cut wood for heat
you have no fridge or freezer
you have to watch where you stake them, if your on low ground your
floor will fill with water...[or trench]...

Tents are great in some instances, but for my pick if we can haul in a trailer or pack a slide in camper...thats my first choice every time.

hunter1947
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I use the inside of my truck for a spike camp and then I have a new wall tent for when I am back at the main camp..

LYKTOHUNT
03-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Early season we take travel trailers,nice and comfortable, no bugs, has water stove and is self contained. Also dont have to worry about freezing water tanks and pipes as well as roads are usually not muddy or snowy which can be a challenge towing fairly large trailers. In the late season we use wall tents because we find it easier to dry everything and with a good wood stove have no problem keeping warm at -20.

tomahawk
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
WRONG!! stayed in a 14x14 wall tent last year deer hunting up north in novemeber, down to -25 to -30 PLUS wind!! , air tight stove, -10 sleeping bag on a cot, we all slept allong the back wall, the closest to the stove (6 feet away) was too hot, the rest of us were just fine, toasty warm, fire stoked/filled 1-2 times per night, no biggy!!

loved it, wall tents are the best, leave your boots on, occasional spill, who cares. I have a new travel trailer too and have used it, nice but more work, clean up, weight, less access to certain areas,.......if i coul donly have 1 it would be a wall tent hands down in ANY weather.

Agree 100%, I've used them all over 40 + yrs of hunting and the wall tent wins by a mile!! The "can't move" easy reasoning from some is just there lack of good scouting and planning.

huntcoop
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Travel trailer or slide in camper, hands down......for my pick if we can haul in a trailer or pack a slide in camper...thats my first choice every time.

So you are a softy, nothing like hunting with a Nancy :mrgreen: .

Frango
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Yet another vote for a wall tent.I have hunted in Trailers ,campers and slept in the back of the truck..Some of the posts I have read, I get the feeling that they have never used a wall tent. They are way better than any kind of an RV..Now a couple of months in Arizona I wont be sleeping in a wall tent.

Blair
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM

A friend of mine has one of them and he says it's the best thing going. And he has tried them all!

Blair
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
A horse trailer (with the horseshit cleaned out) with airtight heater is pretty nice.

Ogopogo
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
tandem axle enclosed work trailer with side door with custom wall tent fabric/awning off the side of the trailer connected with snaps and zippers with window and door on wall tent section plus a hole in the wall tent area for a fireplace made out a keg!!!!!!best set up hands down, can put a quad in the trailer, then when u unload, simply set up the bed in the front of the trailer (double) and enough room for two more cots as well. I'll try and get some pics of it later.

Barracuda
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
not really sure what to use this spring as i like the dog box on the truck and the camper i gutted so it is just the steel frame/shell

recoil
03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I had an older model truck camper and sold it after a couple of near misses while taking it off in the field, the old hydraulic jacks are some scary stuff, especially if your truck is high (mine had a leveling kit with 33"s). They are also very top heavy with can be dicey at times, limited space inside too.

I prefer trailers now as all you need to do is detach the tongue and you are good to go, the lightweight models can even be turned around by hand if you take them somewhere you shouldnt have. Bolers, cadets, bigfoots and escape trailers are nice, as are the hard walled folding trailer like chalet and A-liner.

Or a modified cargo trailer with a flipped axle works well too, bonus is that it doubles as a quad/bike hauler, you could probably pick a used one up for around 3 grand and spent another grand outfitting it with insulation, a stove or furnace and folding bunks and shelves.

Wall tents are great too if you know where you want to base camp, we used to make them for free out of used 2x4s and plastic house wrap, -20 is no problem but someones getting up at 3am to stoke it up or else!! remember to put your beer in a cooler during the day or it will be frozen by the time you come back from hunting which just sucks.

combine pilot
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
The last couple of years have used the 28 ft holiday trailer. Great for all amenities but in the long run it is going to cost you. When I got home from a 2 week hunt from the last week of Sept - 1st week of Oct it took me 10 days to dry out the trailer. 2 inches of water in the soup bowls in the back of the cupboard. Switched to a 12x14 wall tent with a 7.5 ft cook shack attached to the front. This was also ordered with the frame. Going to be awesome.