PDA

View Full Version : Great Elk Action

bozzdrywall
09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Well the past 2 days has been good. Seen a total of 6 bulls 3 were legal and 1 was boarder line but 1 more day to hunt hope i can connect with a big one. Iam taking a friend from this site Mark4. If things go good i will tip over the 340+ bull. I will post the results of tommorows hunt on this thread. Maybe a pic or two if i can figure this computer out. Hope mark has a strong back cuz i will need his help packing this bull off the top of a mountain.

bozzdrywall
09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Guess i should tell the story about the action.
It was 7:30 friday morning and my dad and i are just arriving at the hunny hole we start to glass the slide. I jump out of the truck to get a better veiw, walk to the edge of the road look down and there is a cow staring at me 50yrds out. As i look around i see a BULL just behind her i race to the truck to get my gun and jack a shell in all the while my dad has no idea there is a bull down the hill. I raise my gun to count to 6 and as soon as i see the sixth point i begin to take aim. Now all i can see is his head and horns but at 50 yrds i was going to put a shot just under his chin cant miss. Just as i was going to pull the trigger i hear my dad say "Were is he i cant see him" At that moment i wanted to kick my dad square in the nuts when the bull heard that he turned and bolted never to be seen again. On sat. we just drove around our spot glassing the different slides all in all we seen 5 bulls 2 were good but to far and one was boarder line but still massive, a little spike and another one we saw for just a second. Good day cant wait to get out there tommorow with Mark4.

Ramshot
09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
good luck tomorrow! Tell mark4 Ramshot says he's bringin the moose steaks down in November as long as he's got the beer:smile:! Can't wait to hear the story! Ramshot>

brotherjack
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Well the past 2 days has been good. Seen a total of 6 bulls 3 were legal and 1 was boarder line but 1 more day to hunt hope i can connect with a big one. Iam taking a friend from this site Mark4. If things go good i will tip over the 340+ bull. I will post the results of tommorows hunt on this thread. Maybe a pic or two if i can figure this computer out. Hope mark has a strong back cuz i will need his help packing this bull off the top of a mountain.

How do you guys do that? I haven't even seen 3 legal bulls in 6 years of hunting elk?

Seriously though - that sounds awesome. Great for you!

bozzdrywall
09-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Well today is was a good day too bad mark4 cant hunt this year. We seen 3 bulls within 10min of getting out of the truck. There was a 5 point and a 5x6 the third bull was just a spiker. I would have got the shot off but we only seen the bulls for 2min not enough time to get the gear set up to make the shot. The elk just went on there way and walked into the trees i figuerd there was somthing pushing them later that day we found out i was right. As a hunter came out from just above us. What a piss off other hunters hunting a spot and not checking the wind or anything. this week i will try again but i want the bull that goes 330+ i know there in there its just a matter of putting 2 and2 together. but thanks to mark for comming out good guy willing to break his back to help me get my bull. Cant wait till i can return the favor.

09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
2 minutes is not enough time to "get the gear set up to make the shot"? What kind of gear do you have/need? Just curious.

bozzdrywall
09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
well we have to set the spotting scope up. So we can count the bull just befor we shoot to make sure its a 6. we need to get the shooting sticks out. and we need to range find the spot when you are making 600yrd shots you want everything to be just right or risk wounding a beutiful animal. next time we just have to get set up early and things might go our way.

budismyhorse
09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
How do you guys do that? I haven't even seen 3 legal bulls in 6 years of hunting elk?

Seriously though - that sounds awesome. Great for you!

Seriously BrotherJack, where are you hunting????

PM me and let me know, if anyone out there needs a bone thrown to them it is you :shock:. I'd be happy to set you up with some good tips to get you a few more encounters.

todbartell
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
when you are making 600yrd shots you want everything to be just right or risk wounding a beutiful animal

weren't you the guy who was asking a couple months back on how to shrink your group size at 250 yards from 10 inches? :-| maybe I got you confused with someone else, if so I apologize

bozzdrywall
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
ya i was but now i shoot a 1.5 inch group every time. It just takes time and the right ammo. I also did alot of work to my gun. Now i feel like i can shoot 600+ yrds no problem if the situation is right

steepNdeep
09-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Guess i should tell the story about the action.
It was 7:30 friday morning and my dad and i are just arriving at the hunny hole we start to glass the slide. I jump out of the truck to get a better veiw, ...

That IS some great action for road hunting elk... !!! ;) Luckliy you're an ethical hunter, not wanting to rush that 600 yard shot on a beutiful bull. :shock: Good luck on the big boy, sounds like you've earned it with all that action.

bozzdrywall
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I Do have to say iam not a Full out road hunter i have put many km on my boots it just seem to be i see more game off roads. Thats just the luck. A little more time and effort and i will be posting some pic of a great hunt

eastkoot
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
An ethical 600 yard shot at an elk?? I'm with Bartell on this one although he didn't come right out and say it !!

steepNdeep
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
eastkoot - apparently you don't know what sarcasm is... ;)

Fisher-Dude
09-29-2008, 04:42 AM
well we have to set the spotting scope up. So we can count the bull just befor we shoot to make sure its a 6. we need to get the shooting sticks out. and we need to range find the spot when you are making 600yrd shots you want everything to be just right or risk wounding a beutiful animal. next time we just have to get set up early and things might go our way.

Do I even have to post up how sickening this is? Another bull with lead in his ass will become raven food. :mad:

sawmill
09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
600 hundred yards is a bullshit shot.

budismyhorse
09-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Do I even have to post up how sickening this is? Another bull with lead in his ass will become raven food. :mad:

X2 Come one fellas, cut the distance down to at least 350-400....for the sake of the beautiful animals.

bozzdrywall
09-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Iam the only one shooting and if i feel like every thing is perfect i can and will make the shot I dont want to wound a beutiful elk i want it on my plate. thing have to be right thats why i passed on the shot this weekend things were not right if i could get closer i would but i know i am a great shot lots of practice and not from a bench. I have put more rounds down range than most of you i know how my gun shoots at distance and what the conditions have to be and i will be the first to pass on the shot if i have any doubt. I dont go looking for long shots i would rather shoot from 200 to 300yrds but if all the things are right and i mean perfect i will take a shot over 400yrds maby not 6ooyds i can do it on paper but in the feild is different thats is why i say THINGS HAVE TO BE PERFECT.

Bighorn hunter
09-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Not trying to hyjack here, but what was Mark4's penalty for his ram?

BHH

Ramshot
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Not trying to hyjack here, but what was Mark4's penalty for his ram?

BHH

30 days in jail with sentence reduction for time served! Oh yeah and community service:smile:!!!!

road warrior
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Iam the only one shooting and if i feel like every thing is perfect i can and will make the shot I dont want to wound a beutiful elk i want it on my plate. thing have to be right thats why i passed on the shot this weekend things were not right if i could get closer i would but i know i am a great shot lots of practice and not from a bench. I have put more rounds down range than most of you i know how my gun shoots at distance and what the conditions have to be and i will be the first to pass on the shot if i have any doubt. I dont go looking for long shots i would rather shoot from 200 to 300yrds but if all the things are right and i mean perfect i will take a shot over 400yrds maby not 6ooyds i can do it on paper but in the feild is different thats is why i say THINGS HAVE TO BE PERFECT.
I'm with you I would'nt think twice about shooting 600yds under ideal conditiond. My gun has more energy at 600 than a 270 does at 200 and can shoot better at 6 than a lot of people at 2 so wy not.

Fisher-Dude
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm with you I would'nt think twice about shooting 600yds under ideal conditiond. My gun has more energy at 600 than a 270 does at 200 and can shoot better at 6 than a lot of people at 2 so wy not.

From your previous posts, you shoot a 300 WM. A 270 has between 1800 to 2000 lb-ft at 200 yards. No 300 WM loads have over 1500 lb-ft at 600 yards.

You also claim to have taken a bear at 690 yards and claim to have arrowed a bear at 84 yards. Care to share with us the stories about the game you've lost?

ElkMasterC
09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Ugh.

600 yards on an Elk.

Get your wallet out..let's bet.

I'll put up a X-large frying pan at 600 yards. perfect conditions. I'll nail it to a 4X8 sheet of plywood.
If you hit the pan, you win 500 bucks.
You hit the plywood, you give me your license for 3 years.
You MISS the plywood, ten years.

Deal?

KevinB
09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Good post ElkMasterC.

There are some very good shooters around who could hit that frying pan fairly regularly, but I have a hunch this guy ain't one of them. I'll add another $50 to that pot of cash, just to see where this goes. I'll gladly pay up if it turns out he actually can hit a 10" circle at 600 yards with the first shot.

Caveman
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
From your previous posts, you shoot a 300 WM. A 270 has between 1800 to 2000 lb-ft at 200 yards. No 300 WM loads have over 1500 lb-ft at 600 yards.

You also claim to have taken a bear at 690 yards and claim to have arrowed a bear at 84 yards. Care to share with us the stories about the game you've lost?

It's the conversion factor from metric to imperial that's got him messed up!!! He has carried the decimal too far! :wink:

KevinB
09-29-2008, 10:29 PM

By that I take it you shoot better at 600 yards, than the bozos who have trouble keeping it on the plywood at 200 yards? Great....

Shooting at animals (at any range) has less to do with the itty bitty groups you can shoot in paper, and more to do with knowing exactly where your bullet will land at whatever range under field conditions. Even "ideal" field conditions. The fact that you have a half-minute rifle that carries gobs of energy out to a zillion yards is irrelevant unless you know where your bullet is going. I don't care if you're the world champion 1,000 yard shooter, if that elk is at 640 yards and for whatever reason you think it's at 600 yards, you're likely going to miss it, or even worse blow one of it's legs off.

Big7
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Same old, same old....long range shooting at wild game....ethical or not? (or for some - even possible)

Seems like many threads lately have been sucked into the never ending black hole of opinions on this matter.

Carry on....!

Ovis17
09-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Oh dear....here we go again.

bozzdrywall
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Its funny all you people are bashing me and my ethics. Yet when it all comes down to taking the shot i never did. I most definatly could make the shot as i said befor under the right conditions. As for the guy that wants to bet 500$ i know i can hit a 16-18 inch pan i have gone to the range enough times to know exactly were my gun shoots from any distance i also go to a spot to shoot under more real conditions NOT FROM A BENCH. I did not join the site to be judged by people that dont know me i joined this site to read other peoples adventures post my own and learn a little bit along the way.

By the way back on the origanal topic seen a nice 5x5 at 350yrds last night real nice bull standing broad side for about 5min. going back up to night to see if the big one is hanging around.

KevinB
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I'll only speak for myself, but I don't think I'm directly questioning your ethics, what we ARE doing is questioning your ability to make a clean 600 yard shot on an elk, since you stated that you would and could do it if the conditions are ideal, even if you haven't done it yet. Not judging you, just questioning what you're saying, that's all. No insult intended....

"I did not join the site to be judged by people that dont know me i joined this site to read other peoples adventures post my own and learn a little bit along the way."

fair enough. I don't know you from Bob, but you've got to expect that if you post something in a public forum that is going to push some buttons, you're going to get some comments that you might not like. And you've got to realize that talking about 600 yard shots on game might get the odd questioning comment...

Anyways, I'm glad you're seeing elk, and I wish you good luck on finding that big guy up on that mountain.

cheers

ElkMasterC
09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Ditto. Good luck on the hunt, and if you shoot, I hope it's clean and quick for the animal. Honestly.

My personal limit is 273.5759 yards, but that's just l'il ole me.

Nooker77
09-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Well i just got back from the east kootneys and half of Vancouver was already there!! lol I have been going to the same area for the past 6 years and I have never seen soooo many guys! seemed every one had a cow draw and half the guys I talked to where in the wrong areas for cows but where still shooting up the country! Seen 5 6pts in 12 days but didnt get the job done...most elk we have ever seen...great trip...no meat other than a few chickens with my 4yr old!! I used an estrous cow cover sent for the first time this year and just cow called...since everyone else was bugling up a storm! I had 3 bulls come in within an hour! 4X5 5X5 and a 6X5 the 6 I started counting on the wrong side first as he was only 70yds but looking right at me with his nose in the air...what a rush!! Didnt see the 6th pt till he decided to book out of there...played with the 5x4 for 10 min. What a blast!! My 4yr old got to hear his first elk bugle in the bush...he wasnt sure what to make of it...I'll never forget the look on his face!! Great times and memories!! Good luck to the rest of you still looking to fill the tag...I've been home 2 days and want to go back already!! That damn work thing!!:-P

emkul
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
[quote=Fisher-Dude;335533]From your previous posts, you shoot a 300 WM. A 270 has between 1800 to 2000 lb-ft at 200 yards. No 300 WM loads have over 1500 lb-ft at 600 yards.

maybe you should learn abit about ballistics before you start bashing people a 300 ultra with a 208 gr with a bc of .648 going 3250 at the muzzle has 2650 ft lbs at 600 yds thats more than a 270 at 200.

And I know r.w he's a better shot at 600 yds than most people at 200 so why not. And a frying pan at 600 a frying pan is about 14'' thats 2 minutes of angle and when you can shoot a 4'' group at 600 14 should be an easy 500$

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
[quote=Fisher-Dude;335533]From your previous posts, you shoot a 300 WM. A 270 has between 1800 to 2000 lb-ft at 200 yards. No 300 WM loads have over 1500 lb-ft at 600 yards.

maybe you should learn abit about ballistics before you start bashing people a 300 ultra with a 208 gr with a bc of .648 going 3250 at the muzzle has 2650 ft lbs at 600 yds thats more than a 270 at 200.

And I know r.w he's a better shot at 600 yds than most people at 200 so why not. And a frying pan at 600 a frying pan is about 14'' thats 2 minutes of angle and when you can shoot a 4'' group at 600 14 should be an easy 500$

Maybe you should pay attention. He shoots a 300 WM, NOT a 300 Ultra.

Knowing him as well as you say you do, one would think you'd be aware of that. :lol:

I'll bring a handfull of cash to the Great Shoot Out and bet against his "ability" to shoot 4" groups at 600 yards...easiest money I'll ever make! :biggrin:

PS - you say 2650 @ 600 yards? Care to share your calculations? I see a 200 gr PLIII Premier A-frame having 1675 @ 500 yards and a PLIII Scirocco 180 gr having 2160 @ 500 yards (highest energy in my 300 Ultra charts). Hard to see a 208 gr having more than a 180 gr Scirocco at long range...

dutchie
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I am having a tough time finding a range to practice a shot of 300yds and there are 600yd ranges?! WOW!

Jeeze, 600 yds is a LONG way, I think that I would be lucky if I could hit the broad side of a 20'x20' wall tent at 600yds! Let alone a 7"x7" kill shot!

I have to say that is an impressive shot!

bozzdrywall
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
How about we get off the topic of long range shooting we are going no were. All i wanted to do was share some of my action with the rest of you and maby read some of your storys as well. So lets all grow up and keep with the theme of this thread. ELK HUNTING

Well tonight was another good night took the wife out and we only seen 3 elk 2 of them were cows and 1 was a small bull maby a 4 point at best i will be up in this spot every night looking for the big boy. At least i know they are up there. Good luck to all. Hope to post pic. soon

ElkMasterC
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
We ALWAYS go off on tangents.

It's what we do.

lmao

todbartell
09-30-2008, 09:32 PM

bozzy, what rifle are you using for hunting? what scope? ammo? what type of rest do you use?

Freshtracks
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
[quote=emkul;335870]

Maybe you should pay attention. He shoots a 300 WM, NOT a 300 Ultra.

Knowing him as well as you say you do, one would think you'd be aware of that. :lol:

I'll bring a handfull of cash to the Great Shoot Out and bet against his "ability" to shoot 4" groups at 600 yards...easiest money I'll ever make! :biggrin:

PS - you say 2650 @ 600 yards? Care to share your calculations? I see a 200 gr PLIII Premier A-frame having 1675 @ 500 yards and a PLIII Scirocco 180 gr having 2160 @ 500 yards (highest energy in my 300 Ultra charts). Hard to see a 208 gr having more than a 180 gr Scirocco at long range...

Bozzy I'd prefer to stick to the topic also. Best of luck to you. Awaiting some pics. ;) About 600 yds. ... IMHO :roll:.

Now for the ballistics experts ... which I'll profess I'm not ... but do know enough. :D

FD ... I believe this is the info that emkul is quoting you. Not quite 2650 ft lbs at 600, unless using a match/long rifle.

http://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/ball10.cgi?firearm=Rifle&desc=300+Ultra&wght=208&coef=.648&vel=3250&sight=1.5&temp=59&barom=29.53&zero=0&wspd=0&calcbutton=Calculate

So doable using ... Hornady A MAX bullets. ;) Just not sure on they're killing ability. Anybody use them on game?

todbartell
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Nosler #6 manual shows some 200 gr Accubond loads that do 3200 fps from a 26" tube, so the 300 Ultra cartridge is certainly capable. Now, where does the bullet land? that is the tricky part ;)

Johnnybear
09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Why not try next time to SNEEK within 50 yards and hit em with and open sited black powder gun:idea:. Sorry way off track here for this post. Just my way of hunting:D. Good luck on your Elk hunt and I really do hope you connect. Maybe next time your out practicing (which I hope is alot) at 600 plus (which I assume is in the bush as there is a REAL shortage of long range ranges around) you can post up some pic's of your targets or objects that you are shooting at that distance:wink:. It might make things more smooooooth with some folks on board.

09-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I am having a tough time finding a range to practice a shot of 300yds and there are 600yd ranges?! WOW!

Jeeze, 600 yds is a LONG way, I think that I would be lucky if I could hit the broad side of a 20'x20' wall tent at 600yds! Let alone a 7"x7" kill shot!

I have to say that is an impressive shot!

Golden District Rod and Gun Club has a 600 yard rifle range.

mark4
10-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Who was offering 500 bucks to hit a frying pan at 600 ?? Are they serious or kidding around ??

Dannybuoy
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
We ALWAYS go off on tangents.

It's what we do.

lmao
Well seeing as you brought it up ..... I have to admit I was curious as to whether boz was using a range finder or ? It takes alot of practice to estimate distance accuratly esp @ 400 yds +

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Who was offering 500 bucks to hit a frying pan at 600 ?? Are they serious or kidding around ??

I think he was serious if you look there is someone else willing to put up another 50$ So 550$ for one shot. Not a bad day a guy would not even have to go to work that day lol.

As for the other comment yes i use a range finder thats the only way to be sure of were to put the crosshairs. My scope has the ballistic reticle witch has lines under my origanal crosshair set at three moe each so it is super easy to account for hold over and windage. I also have a drop chart taken from the winchester web sight for the bullets iam shooting. It is dam near perfect maby an inch or two out but not enough to screw up a shot.

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Iam going to start another thread JUST FOR ELK ACTION.

10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I also have a drop chart taken from the winchester web sight for the bullets iam shooting.

Just a humble opinion (I know there are people who actually can make very long shots, so I am not judging here) but I think you need to make your own drop charts, as I have never, even once, duplicated a generic drop chart. Remember that BC can be off (I think on purpose sometimes, for marketing) and BC does change. Plus your elevation, both above sea level and with respect to your target, will also make a difference.

The people I know of take great pains in judging the wind, too. I'm not good enough to make those very long shots.

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I have found that the one i got from the web site and the way the bullet is fired from my gun are really close iam going to make my own chart after i start hand loading. That way i know exactly what is going one with my ballistics.

todbartell
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
what rifle/scope are you using? :) I think it is a 300wsm, correct? What Winchester ammo do you load?

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
My scope is a Bushnell 3200 elite 4-12 x 40 Rainguard adjustable objective ballistic reticale. i use factory ammo and it is winchester sup. ballistic silver tips. And ya it is a 300wsm

Gateholio
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Sounds liek an accurate rifle. What kind of groups are you getting at 600 yards?

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I have only shot 600yrds 3-4 times and i can group any were from 9 to 12 inches depends on the wind i would like to get out with some hand loads and try to inprove on this.

mcrae
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
My load for my 300 Ultra is the 200 Accubond and I am around those numbers that todbartell posted. The gun is certainly capable of a 600 yard shot however I am not so its a no-brainer for me I get closer...

600 yards is a long ways away and IMO if you have not spent all summer at the range practicing for those kinds of shots your kidding yourself if you think its a do able shot.

It sounds like you are gonna get a try at one closer anyways so good luck with the elk hunting!

emkul
10-01-2008, 08:14 PM
You should bozz but get rid of that ballistic retical and get a tactical.Then ballistics software there is a few good free ones one the externial ballistics is one of them.And BC makes all the diffrence try to get a bullet with over .6 after awhile 600yds isn't even fun target practice.Pop cans at a 1000 yds now thats fun

Gateholio
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I have only shot 600yrds 3-4 times and i can group any were from 9 to 12 inches depends on the wind i would like to get out with some hand loads and try to inprove on this.

Do the elk and yourself a favour and keep yourself to 400 yards or less shots.

Right now you have simply too much margin for error anything past that.

10-01-2008, 09:11 PM

I would have thought you shot to that range 100's of times before getting proficient enough to cleanly take animals at that range. Check out CGN, there are quite a few long range shooters on that site. For example Mystic Player. He shoots out to 1000 yards regularly.

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
If you know where your bullet is going to hit at 600 yards and your comfortable with the shot ,then go for it.

I have read and heard of longer shots then 600 yards and they the person shooting knows what his bullet placement will be then go for it.

I myself would never take a shot out at this range because I don't know what my bullet placement would be.

Give bozzdrywall a break.

You people out there that think it is wrong on the 600 yard shot think twice about it ,you don't know how well this hunter knows how to shoot.

Maybe he can hammer a group in at 5 inches at 600 yard .