PDA

View Full Version : First timer heading to 3-30 - Looking for advise

cndnmike
09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi folks

This is my first year hunting, and I'm heading into area 3-30 with a LEH Doe draw first week of November.

I'm heading in with a few guys that of hunted lots in the past (they have a couple LEH moose for the same area).

Just wondering if it's worth me grabbing a White Tail tag as well - and curious if anyone wants to share some tips for a new guy?

- any spots I should concentrate on?
- any spots I should avoid?
- how have the game sightings been this year?

We will likely be around the Eagan Lake - Bonaparte Lake areas, but are not to familiar with the general area overall - hope to make my first trip a successfull trip (and hope to put something in the freezer as well :smile: ).

Thanks in advance

CndnMike

hillclimber
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
damnit mike you got my doe draw lol. as for whitey's haven't seen any there before but i hear they're already in 5-1 which is just north of eagan lake on the windy mtn forestry road. I know of 2 mulie bucks that were taken there during the youth season so far one 4 point and a spiker (one by bondaparte lake and one right by eagan)

BTW i may even see you there first week of november

HighCountry
09-27-2008, 08:09 PM
hunt around 70 miles house you have a good chance for white-tail in there.Last week a budy of my got a nice one in there.

oddsix
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Got a 2 pointer earlier this month up at eagan lake. tons of deer and we saw 2 BIG bull moose up there too. but in the last 5 years i have not seen a whitey there.

cndnmike
09-27-2008, 08:40 PM
damnit mike you got my doe draw lol.

Well Menno if you happened to get an Elk draw for 2-5 I would gladly trade you LOL.

Thanks for the input though - As for seeing me up there I'll be hard to miss - just look for the Sasquatch like guy fumbling through the bush with a rifle.

Steeleco
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
If you head towards HiHume lake, you won't be alone as it's a popular place. A friend of mine had a antlerless tag in there 2 years back. IIRC he saw over 150 does and only one buck.

burger
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
hunt around 70 miles house you have a good chance for white-tail in there.Last week a budy of my got a nice one in there.

He got a whitey near 70 mile. I have a cabin real close to there and have never seen a whitey ever.

Which direction or area was he in from 70 mile???

cndnmike
09-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the tips - on a side note, can anybody suggest a decent map of the area is the current bc backroad book fairly accurate?

hillclimber
09-28-2008, 08:05 AM
not too long ago i took a look at a backroad map book and it was fairly accurate around loon lake and clinton so it should be good for the eagan lake area???

burger
09-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the tips - on a side note, can anybody suggest a decent map of the area is the current bc backroad book fairly accurate?

The backroads mapbook is really good in terms of main roads. There are lots of little areas all through there as well.

BMF300win.
09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Hunt in Clinton on the east side there is a few farms in there but once you pass them you are good to go. Ive spotted over 150 doe's in 1 of the farmers fields. Pass there you will still see them. Also Ive some big boys in there ! they hang up high and watch over all the doe's. I guess there waiting to see what hotty they wanna pump up.....lol

HighCountry
09-30-2008, 10:14 PM
He got a whitey near 70 mile. I have a cabin real close to there and have never seen a whitey ever.

Which direction or area was he in from 70 mile??? He was hunting at Hutchinson Rd area.