PDA

View Full Version : Mulie Buck Down

The Dawg
09-26-2008, 11:36 PM
An afternoon hunt was quickly thrown together by Moosinaround and I.

We waited for his son to get home from school and headed out with Iamdaytona (Moosin's sister).

We piled in the truck and took a quick drive to look for a bear. Within 5 kms of the highway, we see our first boogieman in a clearing, fattening up on blueberries.
Daytona jumps out, loads the 303 and boom...right over his head ( a little bit of bear fever- sorry Leo ;) )...he runs up the bank and out of sight.

We head up to a pit to check my rifle as I took a tumble the other day while pounding through the bush. Its hitting fine after I squeeze a shot.

Carrying on, Moosin says "Lets go this way, its always consistant".

Me being the passenger, I just nod and smile..its easier

Not 3 minutes down the road, a mulie doe and fawn bound into the timber- Good sign.

Its a non-smoking truck, so by this time, Daytona is becoming as Moosin's son says " Testy". Knowing better than to irritate a woman, we stop and allow her to fill her lungs.

When her nicotine craving was satisfied, we headed down the same road. A large gray spot was on the road, so we stopped to have a look.

DEER!

Damnit, its a doe...she heads up a little hill and stares for a minute. Knowing that where theres a doe, theres usually a buck we continue to watch the road.

Another deer walks out and gives us a look before walking up the same hill.
Glassing hard from 290 yards away on the rangefinder, we said it
looks like a doe. We all watched this deer for 4-5 minutes before driving slowly towards where it crossed.

Moosin and I looked at it again, and said we'd better have another look from 100 yards away.
As we brought our bino's up, we both said "ANTLERS"

Moosin was fast out the door with the 300 win mag up and loaded. I was out and loading the 338 as the shot went off.

BOOM! Stagger....flop... (sorry Mike, not BOOM FLOP ;) ) Found the 190gr Hornady in the lungs.

After a 100 yard drag downhill to the truck , we gutted him and loaded up.

Going to be a great eater, a 2x2 mulie.

First harvest together for the Dawg and Moosin - besides my grouse last week..lol

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_00201.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10584)

moosinaround
09-26-2008, 11:54 PM
1 in the freezer, and a few more tags to work on!! Lets hope the critter gods shine down on us!! Moosin

Huey
09-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Congrats boys!! MMMMMM looks tasty!

Schmaus
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Good shooting!! I think its going to be a good year this year.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Thats cool.
"I saw a deer and drove up to it AND shot it!"

I am still waiting for this to happen..... Congrats!

5 spike
09-27-2008, 04:13 AM
nice buck guys. congrats

newhunterette
09-27-2008, 05:46 AM
congrats y'all

yummy in the freezer for my next visit to PG hehehehehehe

2slow
09-27-2008, 09:00 AM
nice job its good to get a gimme buck once in a while

Sideofabarn
09-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Nice work guys. So when is the next gathering? Reminds me that I need to get out before yet another season is done...

Tikka7mm
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
tasty....tasty! Congrats!

wildman 22
09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
tasty looking, when is the barbie?

rifleman
09-28-2008, 08:45 AM
thats gunna be a good eater. way ta go guys.....

Ride
09-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Good job. Little bucks make for great eating, can't wait to get my whitey back form the butcher.