PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Grouse tips

CSG
09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I jut started deer hunting but I am interested in trying some bird hunting as well. I live in Kamloops and I know there are grouse in the hills around town but I don't really know where to start looking. FSR, bushwaking in the forest, edge of clearings...? I am a newb hunter so any practical advice is welcome

Mr. Dean
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
They don't call'em DITCH chickens for nothing. Try road hunting them the last few hrs of the day.

todbartell
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
sunny afternoons on old roads in a mixed hardwood forest is good, or can be good...:D

jessonml
09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
road chickens!!! I like to ride a quad and keep my eyes peeled on the edge of the road. They'll sit there til you pop em in the head or may fly coveniently into a tree and wait for you to find them. make sure you keep your clip out of the reveiver though when you get back on the machine. I love grouse. It makes a hunting trip even better when you have fresh grouse in camp that you've just shot.

Huey
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
The most productive time for me and my grouse is around 3pm. just keep driving the fsrs till you see weird bird shaped rocks on the side of the road. if you flush them go a little further and come back in 15 mins they'll be at the same spot. do a search for grouse on the forum, alot of guys helped me with grouse tips a while ago.

PgHunterKid
12-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Go down quadding trails threw moderately thick forests and if its the right time of day you will prolly spot them on the trail itself. But make sure to keep your eye out about 5-20 feet in the bush. Ive seen most of my grouse just sitting completely still about 10 feet into the bush from the trail.