PDA

View Full Version : Winter kill

tooty
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
How was the winter kill around the Chetwynd area? I heard it was bad again.

Schmaus
09-26-2008, 09:17 AM
It will have been brutal says anyone who made the trip and didn't get anything. For anyone that shot something there was no winterkill :)

Spuddge
09-26-2008, 09:34 AM
We got 2 moose in 3 days. Guys beside us got 3 moose in 7 days. It's definitely better than last year.

Caveman
09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Russell' Meats had very few hanging, and what I did see were cows and calves taken by natives. A ton of elk though!

elkdom
09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
DEVASTATING the Winters up North!!! seems so "NEW" the cold weather and snow, I heard the BC Gov't will be "purchasing Moose from New Brunswick, hauling them to North East BC, setting them free just before August 15 ,next year", just so we can continue to have a GOS for bull moose! any moose that dont get 'shot' during the GOS for bull moose will then be rounded up and taken back to New Brunswick so they will survive the winter !!! also heard plans for the "Yukon and Alaska" to round up any moose they have left that haven't died of cold winters and take them to a warmer climate also! I have also heard rumours to eliminate ALL the TREEs so its "EASY!!!" to find moose, because if YOU dont find ONE then they must be extinct! If the hunting seasone were Regulated by persons who are unsuccessfull , then there would be no hunting season! MAKES PERFECT SENSE , DONT IT?

Toad Hunter
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
ELKDOM - what are you referring to regarding removing the trees?

Vansmasher
09-26-2008, 01:16 PM
DEVASTATING the Winters up North!!! seems so "NEW" the cold weather and snow, I heard the BC Gov't will be "purchasing Moose from New Brunswick, hauling them to North East BC, setting them free just before August 15 ,next year", just so we can continue to have a GOS for bull moose! any moose that dont get 'shot' during the GOS for bull moose will then be rounded up and taken back to New Brunswick so they will survive the winter !!! also heard plans for the "Yukon and Alaska" to round up any moose they have left that haven't died of cold winters and take them to a warmer climate also! I have also heard rumours to eliminate ALL the TREEs so its "EASY!!!" to find moose, because if YOU dont find ONE then they must be extinct! If the hunting seasone were Regulated by persons who are unsuccessfull , then there would be no hunting season! MAKES PERFECT SENSE , DONT IT?
haha...Good one!

I don't think the winters are having as big an impact on animal numbers as maybe tick kill and the huge number of hunters up there!

tooty
09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Actually,I was thinking more along the lines of the tick problem from the year before,if it was still present in large numbers again.The year before was very bad,so bio down hear tells me.I have lived up north,I do know of the winters Domdom ...I mean elkdom.Ooppss did that come out loud?

elkdom
09-26-2008, 08:55 PM
About 90% of the moose hunters that hunt Bullmoose in the early season,are only equiped for OPPORTUNITY hunting! that is I mean "if they see a bull moose, they may be able to kill it!!" thats Aug 15 to Sept 15, during that part of the season, the forest is like a tropical jungle, the weather is hot ( most days 30 celcius plus), moose dont respond to calling as in the rut and post rut days, SO thousands of hunters converge in north east BC every year, the 15 of August, seeking a bullmoose, only problem is its HOT! most movement and feeding is done at night in the DARK!, add to that the fact most years water is abundant, the forest is a smorgasbord of choices for feeding so the truth is the game is very difficult to see during day light hours! Add to this during summer many of the ' EASY ' moose have been killed by our First nations hunting brothers. This August 15 opener around ( Dink Mountain) sport hunter numbers were down by more than 50% of past years! (reason??? high gas prices??,hopes of easy antlerless elk in 7-20a??? ) I dont know why but hunter numbers was way down for the early season! As for deep SNOW and TICS , it has been happening for thousands of years!! the only real differance from many years gone by , as to moose harvest success is that the last few years guys can get ONLINE and whine that something ate thier moose!! ( Wolves?? Tics?? other Hunters?? )what ever! boo hoo! and as for DOM DOM! your absolutly right! I manage to find a DOM DOM Bull moose every year! and I manage to find a DOM DOM 6X Bull elk, every year!, I have for the last 20 some years! are you that DOM???

lunatic
09-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Just like last year hey Elkdom? Man I was home recently and took out the in-laws. We saw at least 30 moose in a week. Several large bulls with one 60+ inches. Is that this years elk in your Avatar or are you still playing?

tooty
09-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I was just asking how it was up there.I don't hunt in that region,just wondering.Does elkdom always get into such a flap,I think the old g-string is bunching the goodies up a bit.I like him no nonsense.:grin:

abbyfireguy
09-27-2008, 08:21 AM
I think the old g-string is bunching the goodies up a bit.I like him no nonsense.:grin:

I will have to use that line with my son when he gets testy after 5 days moose hunting with me next week,,,,,I can hear the response already!!!:razz:

wolverine
09-27-2008, 09:33 AM
I will have to use that line with my son when he gets testy after 5 days moose hunting with me next week,,,,,I can hear the response already!!!:razz:

Short? ..... Clipped? ......Two words! :p

Schmaus
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I was just asking how it was up there.I don't hunt in that region,just wondering.Does elkdom always get into such a flap,I think the old g-string is bunching the goodies up a bit.I like him no nonsense.:grin:

He prob just remembers the big crying thread about up north last year. A lot of the guys from out of town that went up for 7 days hunting, didn't shoot anything and then wanted the bio's to shut down moose hunting cause everything must have died. It really just seemed like a whole bunch of uneducated opinions getting out of hand.

elkdom
09-27-2008, 12:04 PM

No problem tooty! I like to stirrr the pot! if the province of BC didnt have such a vast abundance of NATURALY self procreating wildlife, hunting as we know it would be SCREWED!!! non existant! in so many Regions what the so called "BIOLOGIST's have for a grip on game management, the numbers of game available to harvest, what the game needs to survive, hunting strategies, send some wanna be BIOLOGIST to school for a few years, absorb some old and most often wrong information, from some other juristiction (state, province or overseas country) then apply that missled knowledge to OUR game populations and this is what you get!! early moose seasons, frustrated hunters, thousands of big game animals killed on BC highways in the same regions where the season for some species is short, restricted, and at the same time causing crop damage and all the while some OUT to LUNCH biologist is sitting in his office thinking in his own mind that he has some GRAND ideas of managing wildlife!!. In reality, without aid of a helicopter, most biologists couldnt recognize a moose or a deer, if it was sitting on thier FACE!! I spend at least 3 months full time at recreational game pusuit every year, furthermore I live and work in GAME country, I probably spend about 5,6 months of continuous outdoor time.spotting game, hunting, camping ,fishing trips every year! so when I hear these outrageous statements of huge winter kill, hard winters, LOW harvest success etc. it irritates me to no end! in last 5 days seen 9 bull moose, about 30 cows and caves and at least 25 shootable elk, bulls, antlerless etc, deer and bears I wont even try to count! I have an advantage, I spend a lot of TIME in game country!! I would not expect to have these game sightings if I lived a 1000 klms away and came once a year to hunt for a few days, as for blaming low moose harvest success on Tics or Wolves or hard winters, I dont buy it for a minute! Thats my Saturday RANT!! so to ALL of you HBC'ers have a good weekend and best of luck in your "hunts" this fall !

Tikka7mm
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
I spend at least 3 months full time at recreational game pusuit every year, furthermore I live and work in GAME country, I probably spend about 5,6 months of continuous outdoor time.spotting game, hunting, camping ,fishing trips every year! ..... in last 5 days seen 9 bull moose, about 30 cows and caves and at least 25 shootable elk, bulls, antlerless etc, deer and bears I wont even try to count! I have an advantage, I spend a lot of TIME in game country!!

Nice life....I wish!

elkdom
09-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Nice life....I wish!

Thanks! yeh I am fortunate, but there is a price to pay! one day for certain I will be eaten by TICS or WOLVES! and I dont have a SKY Train to ride to work! lol

Tikka7mm
10-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks! yeh I am fortunate, but there is a price to pay! one day for certain I will be eaten by TICS or WOLVES! and I dont have a SKY Train to ride to work! lol

Elkdom,

I'll trade you rush hour traffic and one month of a year off to hunt for 6 months of the year off to hunt/scout and the remote possibility of being eaten by wolves or tics any day of the week...just say the word. If you agree I'll have to try and convince the old lady, I mean... my girlfriend. :lol: