09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Theres no moose in or around PG...they moved to Clearwater

44inchStone
09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Nice! :biggrin:
However I would get a second opinion.

moosinaround
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Nothing wrong with the moose hunting around Prince George. Lots of blocks though, and lots of choices for the moose to browse in. Lots of choices means they could be anywhere. Good spots are typical, swamps lakes, willows. Tons of roads to drive on, some better than others watch for deactivations!! Atv restictions in MU 7-01-7-15, so I would look at the mu's from 7-16 and higher, no atv restrictions. 7-16, and 7-23 have the extended calf moose season till the end of October I believe (I would check the synopsis though!) Excellent moose hunting in 7-16, north of the mcgregor river, and 7-17 south of the mcgregor river. 7-23 is some fine moose hunting along the parsnip river, and up any of the table, Hominka parsnip anzac or reynolds drainages. Lots of really cool mountain senery, rivers, and tons of places to camp! Any Mu's close to prince george are inundated with road hunters especially around calf season! It actually is kinda nuts for 2 weeks!! Good luck!! Se yah out there!! Moosin lookin for moose!!

jml11
09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
7-24 north of PG is also outside the ATV restriction zone (7-7 to 7-15) and is just across the highway from 7-16. This M-U is large with an very extensive road network with cut blocks and moose everywhere! Some very big bulls in this M-U; however the calf season is not extended like in 7-16/7-23. Moosin, the new calf season is actually extended to the start of October and not the end of the month (Oct 1-25). I think I know where all the moose hunters will be come Oct 1!

moosinaround
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
7-24 north of PG is also outside the ATV restriction zone (7-7 to 7-15) and is just across the highway from 7-16. This M-U is large with an very extensive road network with cut blocks and moose everywhere! Some very big bulls in this M-U; however the calf season is not extended like in 7-16/7-23. Moosin, the new calf season is actually extended to the start of October and not the end of the month (Oct 1-25). I think I know where all the moose hunters will be come Oct 1!
Yes sir right on the money man!! I have found 7-24 to be pretty busy too!! Lots of moose that is for sure!! Good luck!! Moosin

Vansmasher
09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I would suggest east of the city... Purden, Bowron, Beaver, etc. Not many new cuts out there, the bush/plantations are quite thick.... so tough to hunt. I would find a fairly open area and sit and call. IMO, there's a healthy moose population out that way. There's a fairly healthy wolf population out there as well, don't let them walk by without sending some lead.
Cheers

jml11
09-25-2008, 03:07 PM
In answer to your question in how the hunting has been, well it's been slow due to the warm weather but the bulls are rutting and are coming to calls quite easily. One buddy has run into all kinds of bulls already but doesn't have a bull LEH unfortunately. I only know of one immature taken so far.

jdenroche
09-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replys, I typically hunt 7-24 when I come up that way. That is the area my draw is in as well. How are the whitetail and mulie populations doing in 7-24

jml11
09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
only seen whitetails in the very southern portion of 7-24 around slamon valley and in the very northen portion by the Pack River and they have always been pretty small bucks. Haven't seen too many mulies and never seen a buck in there. I don't really hunt 7-24 though so other guys may have more knowledge on where to find the deer.

ARGR
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
7-24 has been noticeably slow this year in the southern parts. Think coffeepot mtn-north. Coffeepot has been very moosey this year so far. There's a 3x3 runnin round up there that's gonna get killed cause he looks like a 2x3 until you see the sticker. Watch out

jwe63
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I just got back from PG. Hunted 7-24 but little sign. It seemd a lot of the planted blocks could easily hide a fullsize moose, so you really had to get out and walk. Most guys tended to be driving.