PDA

View Full Version : frustrated

4blade
09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
two friends of mine bike 20km back into a road closure, have five bulls bugling right at dark.just after dark the skies start dropping the liquid sunshine all night and into the next day.it finally lets up in the afternoon ,and as there getting ready to head out again a truck drives up .buddy decides to walk up to vehicle and see whats up?a fellow and his lady sitting their having coffee . bugles and rifles present,so he kindly notifies them of road closure and she points to handicap card on windshield.i dont begrudge anyone who is truly handicapped but#&^**()

Jagermeister
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
$#!t happens. Are you talking pedal bike here? 20k back and you pop an elk, now that a hefty distance to get it out to the roadhead. Maybe if you had a rickshaw.

Steeleco
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I hate boneheads like that, that card is for parking spaces? That said, unless the authorities say anything to these guys, your buds are hooped.

abbyfireguy
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't believe that a handicapped card hanging from a mirror is your license to use motorized vehicles to hunt...I am going to do some research.But I think there is extra permits required not just a handicapped tag...
How do they shoot,from the truck,,,I think NOT....

Jagermeister
09-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Check out this link.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/disabled_hunting_app.pdf

Then let the argument begin.

JeffR
09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
So what is the point of closing an area to motor vehicles if any number of people with exemption permits can drive in?

There are countless places people can drive into, I see no need to allow exeptions to closed areas.

quadrakid
09-24-2008, 07:54 PM
seems it can be done legally but just doesn,t sit right with me. hell, if i,d known i was going to be on crutches all sept i,d of applied! just kidding.

BCLongshot
09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Pretty simple

REPORT THEM !!!

mcrae
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I would report them and make sure its legit. I hunt a road closure here in the W.Koots as well and its the same crap. You spend all day walking in and some guy is "cutting firewood" dressed in camo and driving around with his rifle. He figures because he has a chainsaw in his truck it gives him the okay to be in a road closure hunting?

How about another one way back in on the same road closure. Fella in a truck this time with a bow "claims" its just in the truck he wasn't hunting. Ya right...

In both causes the individuals hauled ass out of the area when I called Bull Poop on them...I reported truck and plates on the one fella but that was the last I heard on it...

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
sounds like BS to me, any yahoo can get a handicapped permit. I've seen plenty of people with them who dont need them. And just to play devils advocate what do those people do once they shoot something, wait for your buddy on the bike to help them drag it to the truck? I don't know a lot of handicapped people who can move a moose or Elk or even a deer
I call shenanigans!

Moosenose
09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
A handicapped parking permit and a handicap hunting licence are 2 different things. A friend of mine has a handicap hunting licence and he is limited to 2 specific drainages with road closures. It's not a free-to-travel any road closure licence, it is very specific. Anyone hunting on a road closure with a handicapped parking permit in their vehicle, but no handicapped hunting licence should be reported. Anyone with a vehicle cutting firewood off a road closure with a rifle (or bow) should be reported. Cut all the firewood you want, but leave the rifle at home. The rules are the same for all of us.

Gun Babe
09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
I am a disabled hunter. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to shoot from a motor vehicle. I went through a very long interview with the powers that be in Victoria and that was after my family doctor filled out the medical portion of the application form. So from my standpoint, I am thankful for the chance to get a deer like anyone else.

No I could not move the deer on my own, that is what a husband is for.....

As far as hunting on a closed road, if I had wanted that option I would have to specify the road and dates, and this would have added about 3 months to the process time for the permit. You are also required to provide all vehicle details that would be used for hunting, including VIN, color, make, model, year ect.....

Just my 2 cents......

doubled
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks GB for the clarification. It is nice to hear facts from someone that has ACTUALLY gone through the process. :smile:

09-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to hike into the back country too. Then I was run over by a cretin who didn't stop at a stop sign and now I am in a wheelchair. That was quite a few years ago, and I haven't been in "my" hunting spots ever since. The rule about allowing access to certain roads is new, I think last year was the first year.

I bet there are folks that try to take advantage of the situation, but some people are REALLY limited. Look at the medical assessment form:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/medical_assessment_form.pdf

You are frustrated. Imagine a root sticking up through a trail and not being able to go any further. Imagine a slight incline with a little bit of loose gravel and not being able to continue. Imagine 3" of snow on the ground and not being able to continue. Do I need to go on? Thank God you are able to bike and walk. I daydream about the times I hiked into the alpines or scaled cliffs to get a goat. Get off the road and you won't have to worry about it.

BTW - I think everyone who is in a vehicle in a road closure area should be reported. Let the CO's work it out if it is legit or not.

4blade
09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
not trying to slam any disabled person ,i think its great they are still out there ,but i think too many people are abusing the system ie not having a disability that actually prevents them from walking in to hunt.i was not aware those disability forms existed thanx for that.to me the road closures are there to protect too much easy access disability or not

MichelD
09-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Take pictures, note licence plate numbers.

09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
not trying to slam any disabled person ,i think its great they are still out there ,but i think too many people are abusing the system ie not having a disability that actually prevents them from walking in to hunt.i was not aware those disability forms existed thanx for that.to me the road closures are there to protect too much easy access disability or not

The problem is straight forward. It's public land. Everyone can go and hunt there if they are not lazy, ie - willing to bike or hike etc. Everyone that is, except a disabled person.

Let me give you an example. Before I was run over I used to hunt with a packboard or day pack. I am willing to bet that I hiked more kilometers per day than +90% of all hunters in BC. Because of this hard work I quite often saw/harvested game when others did not. Since my accident I have been relegated to trying to find a quiet road or cut-line and either backing my truck off the road at an angle so I can shoot, or if I am very lucky there is a curve in the road and I can get out and wheel myself along the road and hide somewhere along the edge. Usually I get to see lots of road hunters, but I am happy to be out in the wilderness.

When I lived in Manitoba I got to know a farmer who let me hunt on his land, but folks there seem more likely to give you permission than out here. There I could sit at the edge of a field and wait.

The main advantage to being able to drive where others can't is that when I sit out somewhere I will not have to watch a truck rip by every 5 minutes. I still have to wait for the game to come into a position where I'll be able to get at it. I've passed numerous animals up because I wouldn't be able to get to it and I didn't want to have to call my brother to fetch it for me.

Like I said, I strongly feel that everyone should report all vehicles in no access areas. The CO's will have the name, type of vehicle and license plate of anyone with a permit.