PDA

View Full Version : Hooked a newbie HARD!

moosecaller
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I took the son-in-law for the first time last night, and my first hunt this season I've been really sick till now. Anyway went to one of my local haunts close by the house 20 mins. away, setup in "the" spot it has really over grown since last year if something was going to show it would be a close in shot. Well I start with my first call the s-i-l looks at me and kind of has a stiffled grin on his face but not an outright laugh (he knows better) but I can see what must be going through his mind "yeah right this is going to call a moose?" About 20 mins later a couple of bulls barks come back 75-100 yards north of us his eyes open and he points in the direction nodding his head "did you hear that?" my next call and a branch snaps 50 yards to our west and coming closer, he snaps his head in the direction and points and whispers "It's coming" the moose walked 30 feet directly behind him I could see small trees moving as it walked by the s-i-l was alert and ready to do battle, well the bull skirted us by 30 feet or so and moved off as the other bull to our north continued to bark and hold up at about 50 yards. We lost light and neither moose appeared for a shot, on the walk back to the truck he was so pumped at the thought of a 1000 lb. animal coming in so close, he said he thought the moose could hear his heart pounding. He said he had heard me explain what happens but it did not even come close to being there and experiencing it first hand he said it was the biggest rush he had ever had, which says something because I know he is a bit of an adrenilin junkie. It was excitng for me as well to see someone getting hooked on the hunt and all it has to offer. He said in the truck that he has a lot to learn about hunting and is looking forward to my instruction, I hope I can do right by him and teach him what he needs to know, it really gave me a sense of satisfaction seeing this newbie wide eyed and ready to learn.

Squirrelnuts
09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Great read! Gathering up my stuff for moose camp and reading that makes me want to go now. It'll be my first time trying to call so it should prove interesting, (or not :) ).

Tikka7mm
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Stories like that really put a smile on my face. I'm pretty pumped and looking forward to my first moose hunt next season. Best of luck on those two bulls next time you're out.

Derp
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I was out hunting last weekend and saw moose but no spike forks. How do you call in moose? are there electronic calls or something homemade? or your own voice?

hillclimber
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
moosecaller: good on ya for gettin another one into this awesome sport.

derp: you can make a homemade call with a old coffin tin and a shoelace. drill a little hole in the bottom of the tin and tie a knot on one side of te shoelace so it doesn't slip through. either make your fingers wet, the shoelace wet or both and pull.

you can also use you own voice by cupping you hands over your mouth adn using you index fingers to plug you nose(not the inside of your nose) and moan

moosecaller
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I use my voice and it seems to be the best for me, I can instantly adjust my calling to sound softer, louder, change sex or age, I think the others have their place but nothing can replace your own voice for variety. I also use a shoulder blade for scraping the bush. It does take practice and you must be prepared to listen to the moose and custom the call to each different situation; every hunt/call is unique.

PS. The s-i-l went and bought himself some camo fleece today and some rocky thinsulite boots he was wearing cotton work pants steel toed work boots and a t-shirt with one of those WW11 camo cotton light jackets last night and I guess he was cold, so when my daughter said to him do you think dad wears that fleece camo just to look cool he undestood and dropped a bit on proper clothing. Going out on Sat. for the morning hunt with him again, I like mornings better seem to be more productive for me anyway, and I like the idea of the light growing giving me the advantage rather than the other way around with the evening hunts.

Steeleco
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Right on Dad in law!! The more the merrier.

Little Hawk
09-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Howdy Moosecaller!

That - my friend - is what it's all about!

Good on you.

Bow Walker
09-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Post up the Sat. morning results/story. You've got us all hooked. Can't wait til s.i.l. pops his cherry.