PDA

View Full Version : Grizz hunt ends early!

BCbillies
09-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Inspite of the complexities of life TSW and I managed to book four days for a grizz hunt. The night before we left I ended a telephone conversation with my buddy Gerrygoat with "if nothing else it should be entertaining". On that note I packed the remaining gear and was in bed by midnight. At 2:50 a.m. the alarm sounded and by 3:30 TSW and I were pulling out of town. As with most memorable hunts things start to go sideways before you know it!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_Hunt_2008.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10566&size=big&cat=)

More difficulty than expected in this undertaking but after 45 minutes we were back on the road - I now have a new ornamental rock for the front yard! We had hoped to hunt the final part of the day and were now looking to make up some time.

The journey into the spot was a sweaty undertaking with weather unusually warm for this time of Sepember. By mid afternoon we gear up but unfortunately the video camera decides it would rather stay at camp and refuses to work! At this point we assume that this must be a good thing.

At 3 pm we finally arrive at the destination. The wind is perfect and we like what we see. Initially two grizz are spotted through the brush. They look immature so we move on. We take a rest and TSW decides to take a little nap. Shortly after I hear movement in the brush and see grizz at 70 yards. I tap TSW on the shoulder - "showtime". He perks up but again not what we are looking for. A little later we move on and again another grizz but not what we want. This bear looks very nervous and is looking down stream. We head downstream and within two minutes I spot a bigger bear moving upstream towards the other bear - looks like a showdown may occur between the two. I like the size and colour of this bear and unleash the 300 wmag while aiming at the shoulder. The grizz instantly bolts directly at us and two more shots are fired at 12 yards.

http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/?action=view&current=IMGP1592.flv

The 7th grizz ends the hunt at 5:20 pm but not without a little excitement. Thanks to TSW for joining me on this trip and making it all possible. Once again we have been blessed with a great hunt in a prestine area.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_2008_Photo_1JPG.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10567&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_2008_Close-up.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10568&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Good looking bear, What are the rough measures on that one?
Sounds like your in G bear heaven !
Congrats.
C/T

Ron.C
09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Nice bear..

it always makes the end result that much sweeter when murphy's law has kicked your ass along the way.

bigwhiteys
09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Awesome Bear! Congrats!

Carl

Jelvis
09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
WoW! That's a brute. Good hunting, nice photos. Jelvis

srupp
09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
sweeeet...GREAT BEAR WELL DONE GENTLEMEN...
looks like a great hide and good sized pumpkin head..

cheers

steven

Blainer
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
That is one beautiful bear!!!

Ramshot
09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Way to go MK!! I got to come up there one year with u and Gerhard for one of those big fella's! Beauty of a Grizzly, congratulations! RAMSHOT>

pitbell
09-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Another awsome adventure from you guys. The colour of that bear is amazing.

BiG Boar
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey Man, That is awsome! I think you are one of the best guys on this site! Thanks for all your help so far with the goats, I would love to hear some of your grizzly tales!

tomahawk
09-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Beauty bear!

Caveman
09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Great Looking bear, Congrats!!

Tikka7mm
09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
That's a cranker alright. Great story and pics...congrats and thanks for sharing.

CT.45
09-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Where o where is this grizzly heaven. Goats too!! Kemano? I would love to harvest a nice grizz..... oh, excuse me, I was drooling at the photos. Great little video too. Adrenaline was pumping for sure. Congrats.

Huey
09-24-2008, 09:36 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeet... very nice!!

rishu_pepper
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Big bear, cool vid too! Must have had the adrenaline pumping during the shots! :cool:

Spuddge
09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Awesome story and pics, sounds like there were some exciting and scary moments.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Great bear!!

I've become a firm believer that the more little things that go sideways on a hunting trip the bigger the animal that will be taken.

"It's gonna be a Booner!!":cool:

Congrats!

SSS

In4TheHunt
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice GRIZZZZZ!! Do you have to hve a LEH for grizz or is there an open season for them somewhere? Pardon my lack of knowledge on this topic.

Still NICE
Cheers

Wildman
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Awesome......he fell at 12 yards! How was your heart after that!?

porcupine
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice bear! I bet a few more salmon will have a chance to spawn now.
________
Ford Kansas City Assembly Plant (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Kansas_City_Assembly_Plant)

09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Beautiful bear....please tell me you're doing a full-mount...awesome!

Gateholio
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice bear! I bet a few more salmon will have a chance to spawn now.

Yes, thanks to BCBillies for saving the salmon!!:mrgreen:

Great bear, great story!! Congrats!

grizzly_taker
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Beautiful bear....12 yards...that was the same yards my grizz finally fell at I can remember the feeling like it just happened!!!!

riflebuilder
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
that is a beautiful Bear, congrats. Where if you don't mind were you hunting? Costal?

Nimrod
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Great looking Bear
congratulations.

Rattler
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Beauty bear! Nice hide to boot...

6 K
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
So, guys was this one taken out of the KHUTZEYMATEEN or the KITLOPE?:lol: L.O.L.
Good job boys, nice bear and great story. Nothing like up close and personal eh T.S.W. ? I was wishing I was with ya the whole time you were gone. My turn next year. Mums the word on where eh, gotta keep them odds below 10:1:shock:
But seriously congrats.

TSW
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, those close g-bear encounters are something else!! I had a blast on this trip. A guy just closes his eyes for a moment to relax and gets a tap on the shoulder with the words "it's showtime!" That was one of the moments that made me laugh all weekend. All I can say is BCbillies knows how to get 'er done when it comes to Griz. I learned a lot this trip. Thanks for the opportunity to come along for the ride--it was worth re-working the schedule for!!

BCbillies
09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Good looking bear, What are the rough measures on that one?
C/T

80" x 80"

Big bear, cool vid too! Must have had the adrenaline pumping during the shots! :cool:

The adrenaline was pumping for the two preceeding hours. Funny thing is we were pretty calm from when the bear was spotted until he went down.

I've become a firm believer that the more little things that go sideways on a hunting trip the bigger the animal that will be taken.

"It's gonna be a Booner!!":cool:
SSS

This ones not a Booner but the day I got my Booner some things went sideways like bumping into the bear at 4 yards away.

Nice GRIZZZZZ!! Do you have to hve a LEH for grizz or is there an open season for them somewhere? Pardon my lack of knowledge on this topic.
Cheers

No open season on these...just keep putting in and getting lucky!

Awesome......he fell at 12 yards! How was your heart after that!?

POUNDING as you can see in the video clip. My knees were also a little weak.

Beautiful bear....please tell me you're doing a full-mount...awesome!

It's ready for lifesize!

Beautiful bear....12 yards...that was the same yards my grizz finally fell at I can remember the feeling like it just happened!!!! I told TSW before the hunt that all bear hunts to date have been clean...bang flops and that my time was almost up. Definitely adds a little flavour to the hunt!

that is a beautiful Bear, congrats. Where if you don't mind were you hunting? Costal?

Coastal.

So, guys was this one taken out of the KHUTZEYMATEEN or the KITLOPE?:lol: L.O.L.
Good job boys, nice bear and great story. Nothing like up close and personal eh T.S.W. ? I was wishing I was with ya the whole time you were gone. My turn next year. Mums the word on where eh, gotta keep them odds below 10:1:shock:
But seriously congrats.

We were born a generation too late for those spots. :mad: You were so close to coming on this hunt...thanks for doing what you did to make this trip happen in case TSW couldn't make it.

As a final note - What makes these hunts even more memorable is when you and your partner are on the same page and working as a team. I can honestly say that there were no issues between us on this hunt. As tough as it is to get a good sheep hunting partner is can be equally as tough for grizz - especially if your partner is just coming for backup. It is definitely time to assist those who have been there for me and see them fill their tags.

bruin
09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Great looking bear, love the unique hide. Way to go guys

kennyj
09-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Nice looking bear,beautiful color,huge noggin.
12 yds? Thats pretty exciting.
kenny

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
That is one wicked grizz you got there BCB ,you don't get them any better then that one ,what a bear to get ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

ThinAir
10-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Wow boys -good job!

I don't know how I missed this post till now.. not sure if I would ever go Grizz hunting with TSW- he always seems to get charged!

BCbillies
10-11-2008, 01:50 PM
.. not sure if I would ever go Grizz hunting with TSW- he always seems to get charged!

That's what you want in a partner...someone who can draw them in. He's just like bringing along bait! Be ready. :eek:

I neglected to mention that when we got back to camp someone changed their underwear... and that's the truth!!! :razz:

ROEBUCK
10-11-2008, 05:11 PM
what a nice bear, congrats on a super hunt?looking forward to getting a tag next spring myself, awesome.

mark4
10-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Very nice hide and excellent story- can't wait to get a tag !!! Congrats on a true BC trophy !!

TSW
10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
That's what you want in a partner...someone who can draw them in. He's just like bringing along bait! Be ready. :eek:

I neglected to mention that when we got back to camp someone changed their underwear... and that's the truth!!! :razz:

I can't help, bears like me...or do they hate me...regardless there is no shortage of excitement!

As for the underwear business, all i can say is, after you sweat yourself to death in neoprene waders, nothing feels better than a clean dry pair to allow your "fellas" to relax in comfort. (can i get an "amen"?) It was for everyone's benefit!:biggrin:

RoadKing
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Preach it!

Nice bear... Now you need to come down south for some deer hunting. It should allow your wife to sleep a little easier.

BCbillies
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
As for the underwear business, . . . nothing feels better than a clean dry pair to allow your "fellas" to relax in comfort.

Here I thought it was because of the sardine juice/bacon fat mixture that I accidently spilled on you while you were suiting up in your waders! :wink: In any event you were due to freshen up.