PDA

View Full Version : My long weekend hunting rig is a Corolla

i6s1
09-02-2005, 01:48 PM
My 'yota is in the shop getting some body work done. It won't be ready until Tuesday. So if anyone sees a sliver Corolla cruising the logging roads in 3-32 this weekend, have a laugh at my expense.

What's the best way to transport a deer in a car? Should I skin + quarter it and put it in a cooler?

On the good side, my gas bill for the trip has been cut in half.

Marc
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm taking my camper with me so the only way to get an animal home is in the back of the camper. I just picked up one of those rubbermaid roughnecks and If I get a bear or a deer it's going to get deboned on the spot or at least quartered to fit in the container. This saves the camper from having blood all over it and if you've got a lake or a river near buy you can partially submerge the container in it so that the water keeps the meat cool inside.

Marc.

i6s1
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Is it better to leave the hide on so the meat doesn't contact the plastic? Should I leave the lid off?

I'll have a look at containers today.

MB_Boy
09-02-2005, 02:09 PM
, have a laugh at my expense.

What's the best way to transport a deer in a car? Should I skin + quarter it and put it in a cooler?

Keep the laughs goin' and tie it to the front bumper! :grin:

Good luck this weekend.

Marc
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I dont think contacting the plastic will hurt the meat(wash the container with dish soap before you leave home) the key is to try and cool the animal as fast as possible and keep the flies off of it. Either put it in shade or partially submerge in the water to cool during the day(the tub not the meat).

If I shoot an animal, I'll hang it till the day I decide to head home then package it in the container for the trip back. Heading home will depend on how hot it gets. Coolers work fine too if you can find a big enough one or a couple of them. I had a deboned bear on Ice in two coolers while I cleaned and prepared it for the butchers.

If I shoot something friday morning I may very well head home that afternoon and come back that evening or next morining. It all depends on how far away you live and how hot the days are.

Marc.

270WIN
09-02-2005, 02:53 PM
well i will not be laughing learnd my leason. few year back i was hunting 805 and there was a blue ford tempo drove in and i laughed as well it was rare to see cars in the bush were i was and well just before dark i seen the car drive out with nice 4 x 4 mulie straped to the roof and need less to say i got nothing that week end so i leared my leason do laugh as it will come back at you. good luck this week end

DBM
09-02-2005, 04:02 PM
BCHunter should have a picture of his 4 point strapped to the trunk of a KCar.

BCHunter
09-02-2005, 05:16 PM
the drive was just back to camp...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/40hbcX2_Bucks_027-med.jpg

BCHunter
09-02-2005, 05:17 PM
the 4x4 was deer #2 of that trip

this was deer #1

20hrs apart

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/40hbc2X2_Bucks_017-med.jpg

Steeleco
09-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I've hunted out of my 90 chev sprint, covers logging roads nicely, and at 50mpg it will cover a lot of them. I don't know what I would have done if I got something, but the fact that I was hunting is all that counted. Good luck i6s1

BCHunter
09-02-2005, 05:20 PM
my 3x3
]
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/40hbcthree_pointer_jeep.JPG

Barracuda
09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
took the hounds out rigging in the wifes micra:biggrin: boy were they loud when they struck :o

Red Foreman
09-02-2005, 05:39 PM
My buddy put a 4 point in the hatchback of his camaro one time.lol

Thunderstix
09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
When I find it I will post my whole bear on top of my station wagon picture.

rrfred
09-03-2005, 07:44 PM
i had a chevy tracker for a few years- got me to some great spots - and put a lotta game in/on it, cheap on gas, -was like an "overgrown quad", and reliable- with gas prices now, miss it a lot. many many years ago dad and i used to hunt with a '72 plymouth fury 4 door, could put a whole deer in the trunk - was wide enought to sleep in too- cheers, rrfred