PDA

View Full Version : Is a 308 Enough Gun for Grouse?

brotherjack
09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I can say conclusively, based on personal experience (as opposed to Internet experience) - a resounding YES! At least when taking head-shots at the fairly close ranges I was at when I killed the most recent three grouse at with the new Tikka 308 (first blood for the new gun!), the 308 is definitely enough gun to cleanly kill a grouse (and gut him too, if you mess up the whole head-shot idea).

:)

CT.45
09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
It's a good technique for scaring all the big game away for a chicken. Effective, yes. Overkill, yes. If you miss the head and hit the body, spectacular. Can you say, POOF.

stanway
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I reload my 308win and can never bring myself to waste/use a round on a grouse. I'll pick up a rock and try that instead. Okay, it's only worked once, but it adds a new 'challenge' to grouse hunting.:razz:

Gateholio
09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I almost always make reduced loads for grouse. I make them and employ bullets I probably won't use, or some cast bullets, or left overs or whatever.

For my 300WSM I use a 150gr FP bullet loaded to about 1850 FPS, just under 30-30 territory. For a 30-30 I will use 6.2 gr Trailboss and a 165gr Cast bullet for about 850-900fps. For .375 Ruger I use a 200gr bullet designed for .375 Winchester, at 1500FPS..ETC

When grouse charge, you want to make sure you can make CNS shots every time, so practice with your grouse loads- The POI will probably be different than your regular ammo...

brotherjack
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Heh - actually, the whole story is - when hunting, I pack around a handful of some very reduced power loads that I use exclusively for grouse and rabbits (targets of opportunity). It's a 110 grain bullet, 13 grains of RedDot = about 1900FPS. It's kind of like a 22MAG on steroids, and only costs about $0.20 each (and the brass will probably out live me at those low pressures). The one time I ever messed up and winged one through the body with that load, I only lost about half a breast.

If we had sane gun laws in this country, I could pack a pocket sized 22LR pistol for such purposes, but oh well...

brotherjack
09-23-2008, 02:18 PM
practice with your grouse loads- The POI will probably be different than your regular ammo...

This is true - my grouse loads always hit lower by an inch or two than my regular hunting loads. I aim by putting the horizontal line of the crosshairs even with the top of their head, and usually the bullet will get em right at the base of the skull.

stanway
09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
When grouse charge, you want to make sure you can make CNS shots every time, so practice with your grouse loads-

Good point Clarke. Something us hunters should consider. I have not been charged by a grouse yet, but it's just a matter of time.

I have been wanting to play around with reduced loads for a while, but just never seem to get around to it. Maybe this winter I'll try some. They would definitely be more accurate than a rock.

Gateholio
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Good point Clarke. Something us hunters should consider. I have not been charged by a grouse yet, but it's just a matter of time.

I have been wanting to play around with reduced loads for a while, but just never seem to get around to it. Maybe this winter I'll try some. They would definitely be more accurate than a rock.

The easiest is to use 60% of a max charge of H4895. You can find a load with H4895 with almost all cartridges except maybe giant magnums.

You won't get into subsonic territory with these loads, but they have moderate recoil and noise.

stanway
09-23-2008, 03:16 PM
The easiest is to use 60% of a max charge of H4895. You can find a load with H4895 with almost all cartridges except maybe giant magnums.

You won't get into subsonic territory with these loads, but they have moderate recoil and noise.

Cool. Thanks.

Now, I need to find some grouse!

brotherjack
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Now, I need to find some grouse!

Heh - I've gone out hunting grouse a dozen times or more, and never ever seen one on any of those trips! But, you put me out stalking around looking for big game, and I'll see a dozen of them. That's why I pack grouse loads. :)

abbyfireguy
09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Sling shot,,nails them every time..No noise and doesn't waste any meat.
easy cleaning and cheap....
No FAC required...

tuom
09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
We came across a grouse in the middle of the road so I hopped out of the truck and was throwing rocks at it. Couldn't hit it if my life depended on it. My friend gets out of the truck and says "I'll get it". Loads the 308 and makes a perfect shot. The meat flys one way and the guts and feathers fly the other way :lol: darn redneck hunter

BCBRAD
09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
For many years i used a 200gr Hornaday in my 35whelen for chickens and coyotes, while not ideal for either it worked well on both.

mark4
09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Stanway you've got to be prepared for the worst- and there is nothing more deadly than a charging grouse- its all beak and claws man- a flurry of high speed feathers coming at you full tilt.

bsa30-06
09-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Dont you need one of the big magnum calibers for grouse.?

Gilmore
09-23-2008, 08:01 PM
When grouse charge, you want to make sure you can make CNS shots every time, so practice with your grouse loads- The POI will probably be different than your regular ammo...

You must also remember the pythagorean theorem when shooting at extreme downhill angles at a charging grouse, if you don't POI will also be different and the result can be very disapointing. Especially if you have drawn a once in a lifetime LEH grouse tag.:wink:

mark4
09-23-2008, 08:09 PM
ahhhh- the sought after leh grouse tag. Mabye one day...........If it doesn't get bought out by wealthy europeans.

TIKA 300
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Is there an OFFICAL method for scoring GROUSE :wink:

If i use the 300 win mag,can i call it,WINGED AND CHUCKED IT ???? :biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
BroJ, you can't hit a 2 foot square target with that 308 - how the hell are ya gonna pop a chicken in the head? :tongue:

Gateholio
09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
You must also remember the pythagorean theorem when shooting at extreme downhill angles at a charging grouse, if you don't POI will also be different and the result can be very disapointing. Especially if you have drawn a once in a lifetime LEH grouse tag.:wink:

We will see who has the last laugh when you are aiming at a nice trophy mulie and you discover that I didn't put any powder in your ammo.:p

porcupine
09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
30 years ago I blew up a grouse with a body shot from my 308. Moments later I was at an old landing off the Tansky mainline and found a GIANT ZUCCINNI that some one left there. A 308 is definitely a zuccinni destroyer!
________
herbal vaporizer forum (http://vaporizer.org/forum/herbal-vaporizers/)

Little Hawk
09-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Used to pack my 22 along with my real gun when I went out but it became a hassle and I'm not sure, but I think I heard that it was also illegal. Then I'd go out 'grouse-hunting' and leave the big-gun and all I'd see was deer and no grouse. So then I'd go deer hunting and leave the 22 at camp and all I'd see was grouse.

After many years this became confusing. So now, I built myself an over & under. Have a slingshot mounted on top of my 30-06'... works great!

Many times, while walking quietly through the bush, I've felt like something was watching me - silently stalking me - and though I can't really see them I know they're out there, I just know it's them damn-grouse! They're coming for me... I just know it.

brotherjack
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
BroJ, you can't hit a 2 foot square target with that 308 - how the hell are ya gonna pop a chicken in the head? :tongue:

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: pslbbbtttttt!!! I thought I already posted that 44 grains of Varget + 168 grain Nosler BT's == 1.25 inch 10 shot groups. ??? I still have no clue why the Winchester factory stuff was so insanely bad, but it's sure shooting fine now.

308Lover
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Why Brother Jack--shame on you to ask such a thing! Of course--a 308 is good for most anything! LOL