PDA

View Full Version : Hunter made road blocks..........

One Shot
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
On Sat. while hunting in region 8, I came across a large tree laying across the road several miles after leaving the main FSR:mad:. I got out and noticed somebody very recently cut a few trees for fire wood and then laid this tree across the road to prevent others from coming through. I thought about it for a second to go or not to go. The road is also open at the other end to pavement many miles later. So I got out my Husky 2100 and make two quick cuts and pulled the tree section out of the way.

Later that nite on the way out I stopped where the tree was and noticed several beatle kill trees and thought I could lay them all on top of each other and then they would have to spend a half a day bucking them up and out of the way.:razz: But I did not as there might be people up the road with no saw.

The road must be 60 miles long with many off shoots as well. It just frustrated me that some one would block all of this off, rather than just the section that they were in.

Orangethunder
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Does anyone have the right to 'block' access to an area?

If you want to get away from the crowds spend more time walking and less time cutting trees. There are lots of roads that restrict access via legislation to take a walk on.

Perhaps you should rename this thread Idiot made road blocks....

happygilmore
09-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Idiots is right... but everyone who is in the bush should have a saw these days with all the blowdowns or be prepared to walk out

BiG Boar
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
People do stuff like that these days. People think they have stomping ground when in reality they just stole it from someone eles.

moosinaround
09-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Last year I was moose huntinig up the pass lake amanita lake area. A guide outfitter fell trees across the road for 2 miles. Well that is as far as I walked, it was past where I turned around. It worked, I got frustrated and bailed. It is crown land, and those were public trees so I am not sure what give them the right! I was pissed off! It was pretty good moose hunting, but getting the moose out would be tough!! Moosin

Ron.C
09-23-2008, 08:04 AM
I was told that this stuff happened before in the area I elk hunted this year. Guys will set up camp and block access to their camps and road systems by falling trees. The problem is they block access to huge expanses of land doing this. As per above, carry a chainsaw and remove these road blocks if you see them.

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Last year I was moose huntinig up the pass lake amanita lake area. A guide outfitter fell trees across the road for 2 miles. Well that is as far as I walked, it was past where I turned around. It worked, I got frustrated and bailed. It is crown land, and those were public trees so I am not sure what give them the right! I was pissed off! It was pretty good moose hunting, but getting the moose out would be tough!! Moosin

How did you know it was the guide outfitter????

Also if you see this report it to the MOFR as cutting trees is a no-no unless for firewood and also blocking a road is a no-no as it restricts fire access.

Cheers

SS

moosinaround
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
How did you know it was the guide outfitter????

Also if you see this report it to the MOFR as cutting trees is a no-no unless for firewood and also blocking a road is a no-no as it restricts fire access.

Cheers

SS
Your right! I had no concrete proof it was a guide outfitter! 2 Miles of downed trees, saw cuts and stumps. Done over a couple years, new and old felled trees. Was someone trying hard to keep others out! Maybe it was an outdoor dope plantation? Not sure about the climate for that around here. My first guess was outfitter but shouldn't speculate. Moosin

Squirrelnuts
09-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Some people seem to forget that there are people working out there that need those roads, too. (Even on weekends). I remember leaning on my horn because some hunters blocked a road that I needed to get down for work. They were pissed off, but c'est la vie. Just because there aren't logging trucks running around that doesn't mean there isn't work going on.

grizz
09-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I know a painter by trade and he paints up a few
"ACTIVE LOGGING"sighns and hangs them on the
entrance to any roads he enters and picks them up on the way out.
Not very ethical.
GRIZZ

Rock Doctor
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Similar stuff is happening more and more around here.
One of the "newer" things is for these guys to shoot the locks off the FSR gates (if they are locked), then when they get through they close the gate behind them to make it look like the gate is still locked.

abbyfireguy
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
There are many forms of prickitis infecting a portion of hunters out there.
Hopefully most of us here are immune to its effects.
I had some pleasant fellow cut two trees down across the road in 5-13, 3 years ago after I had shot my moose. Fortunately I had a saw with me or it would have been ugly trying to get out of that valley.
The funny thing was ,I heard the saw and knew who it was, he was very quick to run out of the restaurant in Cache Creek when I met up with him on the way home,esspecially when he saw me writing his license plate number down.
Some people just don't have enough brains to be allowed in the bush..

huntcoop
09-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Similar stuff is happening more and more around here.
One of the "newer" things is for these guys to shoot the locks off the FSR gates (if they are locked), then when they get through they close the gate behind them to make it look like the gate is still locked.

None of the HBC saints would ever close a gate behind then and pretend that it is locked. :razz: Would they?

Rock Doctor
09-23-2008, 02:03 PM
None of the HBC saints would ever close a gate behind then and pretend that it is locked. :razz: Would they?

lol, I don't have a problem with a little deception;), but when guys shoot the locks off it makes it fairly easy to figure out who did it............. it's "usually" the guys that are someplace behind that gate:eek:.

KodiakHntr
09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
True enough....We spend a fortune on locks up here in the fall.....

huntcoop
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM

I'm sure that most of the HBC saints would prop the gate open with an empty can of de-alcoholized beer. :lol:

killman
09-23-2008, 05:39 PM
I went out atving with the kids Sunday, went to a trail my brother had been down 2 weeks earlier but now there was a no hunting or trespassing sign. Looked it up on the website that was posted on here and it said it was crown land. So what do you do?

Timbow
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Seen similar things happen around the Quesnel area over the years.

Years ago, my brother and I went into an area that we used to hunt for moose. About 1 km up the road was a hunting camp at a creek with a small bridge. Some yahoos had their camp blocking the road before the bridge. My brother and I drove up to their camp and a older gentleman came to greet us. We asked why they were blocking the road. He said that they travelled a long way for their LEH moose and they wanted to be sucessful. My brother informed him that they don't have the right and his simple answer was "sorry".

My brother looked at me and asked if we had enough room between a parked truck and their campfire. My brother looked at the old man and said "sorry" as we proceeded to drive past their camp.

mark4
09-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Beleive me I had my bout with the HBC saints- they phoned the CO on me to get my ram inspected for a second time after it already passed !!! Watch out for these guy's because they really have the prickitis disease. They are holier than though and there is absolutely no limit to their wealth of knowledge- I'll be naming names shortly LOL - run chicken run.

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Beleive me I had my bout with the HBC saints- they phoned the CO on me to get my ram inspected for a second time after it already passed !!! Watch out for these guy's because they really have the prickitis disease. They are holier than though and there is absolutely no limit to their wealth of knowledge- I'll be naming names shortly LOL - run chicken run.

Hmmm....can't wait for this one!!!!!!!

But what does this have to do with blocking roads??????

I will be tuned in.......

Cheers

SS

mark4
09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
It has nothing to do with blocking roads and everything to do with HBC saints- Did I offend you somehow ???

tikkat3
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm sure that most of the HBC saints would prop the gate open with an empty can of de-alcoholized beer. :lol:

ha ha ha totally true

Robinhood
09-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Killman what website are you referring to?

Phreddy
09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
The local poacher in town put up his brand new wall tent across the only entrance into one of the prime elk spots in the area. He's also considered to be the main drug trafficker in town, and when he went to town on "business" someone ripped off his tent and that wat the end of that. This happened last year, and everyone in town was very upset ;-) that the poor guy lost his tent. (snigger, snigger)

wolverine
09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
That kind of crap has been going on for as long as I can remember. It's nothing new. Signs, trees felled across roads etc. I carrry a saw and 20 feet of straw line with hooks and just pull it out of the way and carry on. It's a pain in the ass and if I could ever find the arsehole doing it I'd drop a dime on him but like someone else said, if you're going out into the woods without a saw you better like walking.

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I am a little confused, who are we referring to as "the HBC Saints". I dont remember seeing anybody in the woods from the Hudsons Bay Company in the last fifty or so years, so it must refer to somebody else? you got my curiousity piqued!

Gateholio
09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
HBC= HuntingBC.ca

huntergirl270
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
On Sat. while hunting in region 8, I came across a large tree laying across the road several miles after leaving the main FSR:mad:. I got out and noticed somebody very recently cut a few trees for fire wood and then laid this tree across the road to prevent others from coming through. I thought about it for a second to go or not to go. The road is also open at the other end to pavement many miles later. So I got out my Husky 2100 and make two quick cuts and pulled the tree section out of the way.

Later that nite on the way out I stopped where the tree was and noticed several beatle kill trees and thought I could lay them all on top of each other and then they would have to spend a half a day bucking them up and out of the way.:razz: But I did not as there might be people up the road with no saw.

The road must be 60 miles long with many off shoots as well. It just frustrated me that some one would block all of this off, rather than just the section that they were in.

There is an area we hunt where the logger who has rights to the land blocks the roads to keep access from the hunters. We have found ways around each year (on foot and by sawing) and we have spoken to him when coming across him in the bush and he says that he doesn't want to fall a tree on someone or have anyone steal his equipment. Pretty good guy, I don't think he has anything against hunters. May be the same thing where you are.

Barracuda
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I came across an area a few years back that has the no hunting signage spray painted and after some checkijng and phoneing it turns out that it is BS signage. I didnt want to touch the sign but i hunted that area after getting the powers that be approval and it does hold some good animals.

Kind of ticks me off the way some folks lie and block off area's . I know several areas that it is a gong show with camps in the middle of roads, marking tapes, signs etc blocking access:x I gotta say that hunters like golfer have some of the best people and some of the most decietfull people around.