PDA

View Full Version : Definative MU boundry maps??

Steeleco
09-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Is there a source of management unit maps that give a CLEAR definitive line on what's what?

I hunt and area that was believed to be reg 8 for some time. If I look in the regs it would appear that I'm correct. After looking in a "Back country" map book I may have actually been hunting reg 3.

Should I tag and animal based on the map book I might just get in hoo hah?

So where do I find out "for sure" which is right? I don't want to have an argument with a dude in a blue truck who's just doing his job.

And please don't say "if in doubt don't shoot" because if I followed that advice, I'd likely stay home!!

moosinaround
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I would suggest that seeing as the boys in blue need to enforce these boundaries, they have the most accurate maps. A telephone call to a CO, would more than likely send you in the appropriate direction for attaining these maps. Most follow highways or rivers or heights of land, so there could be a "grey area". Moosin

stanway
09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
David,

I was told this book is the "bible" for MU boundaries:

http://www.recreationalatlas.com/bc1.html

I always take my copy with me during hunting season.

Cheers!

James

Steeleco
09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks James, that book I have. I was using the Kamloops/OK reg book when I found the shocking info.

The little gray picture in the reg's BITES!!!!
It would be nice to have a map that has a GPS ref grid, that way it would be much more clear.

islandstalker
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I would talk to the boys.

I had the same question about the shotgun only area.
i was pleasantly surprised.
i was probly off by 1.5k or more :shock:

burger
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Stanway is right on. If you look at the top of each region map in the hunting trapping regs in little letters it says:

"These M.U. boundaries are approximate only. For a more precise definition consult the BC Recreational Atlas,6th edition"

Steeleco
09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Burger, that's great info. Now suddenly I can take a deer in what I thought was reg 8, but isn't!!!!

cinnabear
09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
try google earth as it shows the regional line, it's usually following the high points of land.

winbuckhunter
09-22-2008, 10:15 PM
use the maps in the hunting regulations... period

tooley
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
try google earth as it shows the regional line, it's usually following the high points of land.

hey cinnabear can you guide me on hw to show MU boundaries on google earth, I can seem to get every other boundary but that one!

winbuckhunter
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
but i got by water drainage too.. specialy up there where you are.. everything that flows to the okanagan valley is region 8 and all that flows west is region 3

Phreddy
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I know the frustration Steelco. I had assumed that the boundary between 8-6 and 3-12 was the Connector, but it ain't necessarily so. Region 8 goes right down to the Okanagan Lake east of Westbank. Go figure.

The Hermit
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Last year I had an LEH for moose in a small unit and wanted to know the exact boundaries so I called and spoke to the LEH guy at the MOE. He was kind enough to send me a high resolution digital map which I had printed in large format and laminated! The digital map was free! Great service.

Mr. Dean
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Steeleco!!!!!
The Backroads map and the Recreational Atlas are two VERY different books. I HAVE found discrepancy's of MU boarders between them...... ..

The Rec Atlas doesn't go into great detail. There MUST be a better, official guide, somewhere(???).

Steeleco
09-23-2008, 05:52 AM
use the maps in the hunting regulations... period Never hunted near a boundary area where it makes a difference huh?

Steeleco!!!!!
The Backroads map and the Recreational Atlas are two VERY different books. I HAVE found discrepancy's of MU boarders between them...... ..

The Rec Atlas doesn't go into great detail. There MUST be a better, official guide, somewhere(???).

I see that, the provincial book is such small scale compared to the regional books. Even then the green line is so wide it might be the cause for debate?

In the area I'm familiar,(or thought I was!!) there's one section of road that appears to be 8 then 3 then 8 again in the space of 3 or 4 clicks.

For that the fishing regs are quite clear cut.

burger
09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
use the maps in the hunting regulations... period

Unless the regs tell what map too use for better detail??? Which they do

I do know that the backroads mapbook for the most part are quite accurate and they are a finer detail but the regs are specific as to what map to use for clarification of M.U's .

bighornbob
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Management boundaries are usually the height of land. So if the boundary includes say Zippermouth creek on the map, all the land that drains into the creek is included in that MU.

I used to delineate watershed boundaries for work in the office and in the field. We used the analolgy of if you dumped a bucket of water, where would it go.

BHB