PDA

View Full Version : Shafting for Traditional Bows

Taylor
09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on selecting arrow shafting for my traditional 46# recurve.

Currently I am shooting off the shelf with cedar arrows (about 30 lb spine weight) that are helically fletched with 5" turkey feathers, loaded with 70 grain field points.

I'm getting curious about aluminum and carbon arrows. Do they perform a whole lot better? What are some good name brands/models? And what do most traditional archers shoot?

I'm asking you guys because all the guys in my local pro-shop are compound users, and they can't really break it down for me.

Thanks,

PS: Aside from looks, is there a difference between shield and parabolic fletching?

- Taylor

Blacktail
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
IF you are using woods and they are flyin fine and you can get a good supply of quality wood arrows keep doin it.alluminums an carbons can get pretty pricey.

As for the fletching a shield cut feather will tend to true out a larger broadhead quicker than a parabolic but if the cut is too high then they will make some noise

timberhunter
09-03-2005, 07:51 AM
There's only one thing for you to do. Move to BC and come shoot with us :).

If you are looking for an aluminum shaft, try some Easton Legacy's. A little bit of money but tough as all hell.

As far as fletch goes, shoot what ever you think looks best, and will spin you broadheads. To get rid of the whistling noise of new fletch, I always shoot my arrows for a bit. Then put broadheads on and go hunting.

Marc