PDA

View Full Version : new hunter

marbles67
09-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Im an older guy but a new hunter I deer hunt with the mrs but have no clue about water fowl and would like to go can anyone hlep me out????

Nankilslas
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
where do you call home?

marbles67
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
surrey bc,I see your in kamloops what kind of birding beseides up land grouse ect

branthunter
09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Take a drive out to Ladner one day. Go right down to the end of River Rd. and look out to sea---lots of duck hunting out there without needing a boat. On the way back look for the Wellington Park sign on your left (it's past the Westham Is. bridge but before the fish plant). Drive in to the boat ramp and look across the river. If you've got a boat, that whole marsh is good for ducks. It can be treacherous getting back across the river to the ramp if a big wind comes up and you're not in enough boat. Further along on your way home stay on No. 10 Hy. (Ladner Trunk Rd..) as you leave Ladner (ie. go straight across Hy. 17) and go to 72nd (look for Boundary Bay airport signs). Turn right and drive down to the end where it hits the dyke. Look out to sea----lots of good duck hunting out there too (given the right weather and tide, but that applies to hunting any marsh). In all these places be careful about crossing any ditches to go way out on a low tide. If the tide comes in behind you, your trapped and drowning is a real possibility. Even without crossing a ditch, if you let the tide come up behind you, wading back to the dyke in 2 or 3 feet of water can be tough if you're not in real good shape (and even tougher if you try it in the dark). You'll have a much better chance of retrieving your birds if you have a good dog. Have fun .

marbles67
09-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Ok thanks so much I will use the information with care,I do appreictae it,Im also going to see about getting some geese spots..clay