PDA

View Full Version : ELK SUCCESS!!! 2 bulls down! (pics) PART 2

willyqbc
09-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Okay so continuing on from when I shot my bull on day 4. I shot the bull at 6:30 in the morning and we did not get him back to the truck until 7:30 that night!!! YIKES... a bunch of tired puppies that night!!

Day 5: Considering the grueling day previous we decided to sleep in on day 5 and try and recover. By the afternoon we got restless and decided to go have a look for a decent little mulie buck that kept showing himself on a field we passed going to and from the elk area (we had permission). Sure enough as luck would have it he was hanging out right where we thought he should be and the wind was good for a stalk from the back side of the field. We worked our way along a small trail until I was just about to the fenceline...thats when one of the two smaller bucks with him got the idea something wasn't right. We quickly crouched in the tall grass near the field edge and waited to see what would happen next. Lucky for us the buck couldn't make out what we were and began a long series of....walk 3 steps forward....wait 3 minutes. He continued on this way slowly working towards us trying to figure out what he was seeing. When he worked his way into a range I felt comfortable with he turned broadside for me so I decided to take the shot. I came to full draw as I made my way from my knees up to a standing position (not an easy thing for a fat man to do!!!). My brain shut off at that point and the skills developed from thousands of arrows I shoot each year took over. I honestly don't recall the shot going off....my pin tucked in tight to the shoulder blade and the arrow was just gone. I heard the satisfying hollow THUMP that accompanies a chest hit and I was pretty sure he was done for. This was confirmed for me when I retrieved my arrow from where it was stuck in the ground dripping with pink bubbly blood. We found him very quickly just off the field edge where he had piled up. Not a huge buck by many standards but is my best archery buck to date and being in velvet still was a real bonus for me.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/chris_archery_buck_08.jpg

For those that are interested in the gear list here it is

Bow: Hoyt Ultratech - 66lbs
king cobra slider sight
Victory HV arrows - total weight 340 grns going 308 fps
broadhead - 100 grain slick tricks
release - truball trail boss (t-handle)
bushnell ARC 1500 rangefinder

I haven't scored him yet but he should come in around the 125" mark. I've been wanting a velvet buck for quite some time so I am pretty pleased with him. We also got the whole thing on video so when I get it edited I will throw it up on our site for you guys to watch.

Now.....STAY TUNED 'CAUSE WE'RE NOT DONE YET. NEXT INSTALLMENT WILL BE TANKS LAST MINUTE BULL!!!!

.....TO BE CONT'D

CHRIS

Ambush
09-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Good job Chris, nice buck for sure. Just like 3D eh? I like the way your "success" arrow stands out in the quiver.

The Hermit
09-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Awesome!!! Congratulations mate, nice buck and another excellent story! Makes me keen to get out this afternoon!

In4TheHunt
09-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm a rifle hunter, but as soon as I get a few rifle bucks under my belt I would like to try something more challanging. I will probably go to iron sights and then to bow as I sharpen my skills..
Stories like these are great to hear, makes me want to hurry up and get to that point..

NICE BUCK!!

I will join the bow hunting crew in a few years but till then keep posting the awesome pics and stories.

Cheers

outdoorsman812
09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
nice buck, some good eatin there, been seeing many moose around on your trip?

6 K
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Nothing wrong with that! Arrowed him to boot good on ya. Congrats again.
Awaiting part 3, Better not be a part 4!

willyqbc
09-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Outdoorsman......moose were all but nonexistant. We averaged 15-20 km a day on our boots and between all three of us i think we saw a total of 1/2 a dozen moose. Pretty sad state for moose in the area we were.

Chris