PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of first time's...

brotherjack
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
For the first time in my life, this morning, I let a 4 point whitetail live to see another day. I've never been big on shooting spike/fork/baby bucks, but usually by the time they make 4 points, they're going in my freezer! My only defense is, that he was an itty bitty 4 point whitetail (30lbs of meat more/less I'd guess), I happen to know at least three different areas where much bigger whitetail bucks have been hanging around, and I have a late season LEH for a doe if the main part of the season doesn't produce a decent buck.

Does this mean I'm a trophy hunter now? I feel all dirty inside somehow....

stanway
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Does this mean I'm a trophy hunter now?

No, you're just getting picky.;)

:biggrin:

budismyhorse
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
no, you just like to hunt, cutting tags early in the season usually means less time hunting.....

sawmill
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I did the same.I let a smallish 5x5 walk yesterday and a 4x4 walk this morning,I hope they don`t get killed this weekend cause they sure were not very savvy,I could have killed them both with a rock,they just stood there and watched then went back to feeding,30to 40 yards out.Maybe they found a grow op:biggrin: I have the LEH too so I`m not gonna starve.Besides it`s just too hot to hang a deer in my garage.

Bow Walker
09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Nope, Adam - you're not a "filthy, stinking, lowdown, trophy hunter" :tongue: :biggrin:.......you just suffered an attack of something called Ethics. :eek:

With a bit of luck, you'll come thru this. :biggrin:

moosinaround
09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I would feel dirty! Go and cleanse yourself! Just kiddin! Its your choice, Take em leave em it's up to you! I would be picky too..................who am I kiddin, I usually shoot the first legal critter just for table fare! Trophy hunting, or meat, it is all legal! Moosin

Jetboat
09-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Does this mean I'm a trophy hunter now? I feel all dirty inside somehow....

No. It's just a sign that you are approaching the part of your life where the killing just isn't as important as it once was. You were able to pass on a buck that some would drop in a heartbeat. This morning, my partner and I both passed up legal cow elk opportunities due to the chance of encountering good bulls over the next six weeks. If we don't locate a bull big enough by the end of October, we'll exercise our antlerless options to fill our freezers with prime venison should the chance arise. Although I dearly love my deer sausage & jerky, the last few years I've been able to pass on "good" whitetail bucks due to my personal quest for a true "gagger" and here in the North Peace, that means a buck scoring in the mid-160's or better. Last year, during the final minutes of the season as darkness approached, several small bucks were with the does but we had already set our sights high and the season closed without a shot fired. Unsuccessful? I think not! Enjoy your season, Brotherjohn and good luck to you and the Mrs.