PDA

View Full Version : Big Moose Tips

Kechika
09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I leave in a few days for 2 weeks or Stone Sheep and Moose hunting.i was wondering if there are any techniques for calling that get the big bulls worked up.Never hunted moose in the rut so it should be interesting.Thanks

Wildman
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Just bend over..

moosecaller
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Watch the videos, learn how to call, no tips can really replace doing it and learning what works. If you are not confident in calling use the raking on the bush as much as you can you will hear if it gets them going. A poor call will scare them away as quick as anyhting.

.308win
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
If the rut is started, just try calling.....I'm no expert, but have called in quite a few Moose. My experience as been, if the rut is on, and your call sounds remotley like a Cow Moose or Bull grunting....They will come in for it!!.....Just sit back and enjoy the show! Best of luck on your trip!!

Perry

springpin
09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Pour water in a water body to mimic a moose urinating. But don't do this to often, or it's like over calling...

Chad

M.Dean
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
I use a plastic margarine container with the shoe lace trick, works great, my moose call sucks so i tried that and be damed it works! Practice some short grunts until you get it right and you should be chewing on moose this winter! Good luck!

newhunterette
09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I use a plastic margarine container with the shoe lace trick, works great, my moose call sucks so i tried that and be damed it works! Practice some short grunts until you get it right and you should be chewing on moose this winter! Good luck!

ya beat me too it - we use the same thing - always have one rigged up at the cabin to practise with

works well for sure

Best of luck, Mike and straight shootin:D

moosinaround
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Ode du cow in heat! No. 7 Its expensive, comes from France! Might as well use imported pee! Moosin

Avalanche123
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Interesting combo hunt Ketchika. One takes you to the mountain top, the other to the valley bottom. Which one you doing first?

Do a search on YouTube for moose calling or hunting as there is some interesting stuff there.

Good luck with your hunt. I leave in a few days myself for two weeks and then back for the final week for stones.

Kechika
09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Interesting combo hunt Ketchika. One takes you to the mountain top, the other to the valley bottom. Which one you doing first?

Do a search on YouTube for moose calling or hunting as there is some interesting stuff there.

Good luck with your hunt. I leave in a few days myself for two weeks and then back for the final week for stones.

Ya a little different.Sheep are the priorityShould be done quickly if I find the ram I want.The 14 hour ride in and out will give me a lot of time in moose country.

MattB
09-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Dont go with bull calls. Do long drawn out COW calls and give the bulls some time to come in. Dont give up on an area right away, i would give it an hour of calling and listen for the tell tale ugghhhh ugghhh of a bull coming in. Good luck, and post up pics of the brute when you get back :D.

srupp
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
hmmm I have no advice to offer on the sheep part...however on the big bulls..on long lakes stay one or two terraces above the lake as the big bulls often use these for travel along long lakes IE the Jennings..while on smaller "round shaped " lakes the big bulls WILL come down right to the water edge..

Be in well before dawn..and at first light give a "medium " loudness cow call..then every 20 minutes or so..move your head from side to side also gives some immitation to making the sound a little diffuse so as not to be tracked by a bull EXACTLY to a single spot..try to make the sounds "hollow" as you are immitating the sound coming from the lungs the size ofa 40 gallon drum loud and HOLLOW..witha NASAL twang...awwwuggg.
...loooooong and drawn out..and be patient some come in like a freight train others like a ghost..slow and sneaky..

Make it "pleading " and for lack of better words "desperate"...

Dont be afraid to let some calls go at the top of your ability in volume..you WILL NOT scare a bull in rut off..:tongue: remember to hook your thumbs under your chin and plug off your nose with your pointing fingers = adds to the nasally drum sound to mimic the cow call...and if you can make a birchbark megaphone or rolled up newspaper..or anything to form a 'megaphone " it helps with the sound..

Use camoflage..as a bull has a uncanny ability because of the lOOOOONG ears to very accuratly locate where the sound is coming from...

I do not propose BULL grunts the Bulls are looking for LOVE not war.....and with pretty loud calling your calls WILL be heard for up to 5 kilometers.. thats a pretty big area...

Alos watch your wind...these bulls will circle around to get down wind...

During the rut i like willow swamps off the ends of lakes..because so do bulls...

Finally remember its the COWS that initiate the courtship...and moose mating is done on a sidehill in the amongst the trees...

I assume your using a rifle..so you will be able to harvest a bull mkoose l;ong before these pouring water intoa lake from a coffee can even become a point to consider...

Steven

todbartell
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
what a newb question

*laughs*

kennyj
09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I like to get up nice and high and glass em up and stalk them.I've also had good luck with an agitated cow call.Spotting is the best for the biggest bulls IMO.A big bull won't leave his cows.If you can get in real close and do a couple short grunts then thrash the bushes with a moose shoulder blade or even a solid branch you might get him in.He might get his cows out of there.
When your up in those sheep mountains glass the valleys for a big one.
kenny

srupp
09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
one other "trick" is to take cow in heat urine in..and strategically place it on "tampons" ( they hold lots of fluid and are biodegradable..) around the lake..

I agree with Kenny a big bull wont leave his cows..I have glassed DOWN on bulls in large willow valleys and UP on the sides of hills seen several bulls on the hillside and maybe 30 cows (Jennings Lake)...even seen the cow leadinga big ol bull to the 'entertainment center "amongst the trees..

Steven

tomahawk
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
hmmm

Make it "pleading " and for lack of better words "desperate"...

Dont be afraid to let some calls go at the top of your ability in volume..you WILL NOT scare a bull in rut off..:tongue: remember to hook your thumbs under your chin and plug off your nose with your pointing fingers = adds to the nasally drum sound to mimic the cow call...and if you can make a birchbark megaphone or rolled up newspaper..or anything to form a 'megaphone " it helps with the sound..

Steven

Good advice all around but in particular the "bolded " area. Its not a noise you are imitating it is the sound of a living animal so give it lots of character.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Off to the drugstore Ketch..... Do ya know what a box looks like?

I don't. :lol:

Have a good trip!

M.Dean
09-19-2008, 05:16 AM
A good solid tip for moose hunting! Measure your winch cable, rope, and chains you have in the truck, shoot no farther than that, if you see a large bull standing pass your Winch Range, leave the area and start anew! Do not shoot a bull in a swamp, in dead fall or in heavy brush, your ideal moose is going to be standing just off the side of the road, up hill, on a small bank about 8 ft high, and drop in his tracks when you fire! You should check the bank before firing to see if you can back the truck up close and load the moose whole, if not, same as above, leave the area and start anew! If you do get a bull Way Back well hiking or going to the wash room, take a frying Pan, believe me, it's easier to eat it back there than pack it out, have a good trip!

BCrams
09-19-2008, 08:24 AM
one other "trick" is to take cow in heat urine in..and strategically place it on "tampons" ( they hold lots of fluid and are biodegradable..)

Steven

:lol:

You just gave me a great idea to use 'tampons' for deer hunting and hanging them loaded with deer scent!!

Will beat those sticks you buy.

tinhorse
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I would just drive the sierra road out to 60 km down the oil patch. I always was able to get a big bull down there. They are always used to the truck traffic from the oil and gas guys and are usually in an area that you can back up to them wit ha pick up! But if you actually want to hunt and call them in I have found that it doesnt have to be a great call. I like cow calling and once I hear a bull grunt, I return with a grunt and then continue cow calling and they have usually walked in and shown themselves. But like others have said use the call sparingly and dont over call. Be a vocal as they are. If they grunt, call back. Also try rubbing shrubs and trees with a shed. Works quite well.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
The perfect accessory for storing your tampons;

A CAMO tampon holder!!

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/4d/1/AAAAAlWe7KAAAAAAAE0e9g.jpg

Wildman
09-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Om confused..........a M.Dean and a Mr.Dean......

Mr. Dean
09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Om confused..........a M.Dean and a Mr.Dean......

M. stands for Miss. :lol:
Mr. stands for ME

Two entirely different people that don't know one-another.

srupp
09-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Several years ago we were on a fly in moose trip to Jennings Lake and the CO'S flew over in a helicopter once they spotted our camp they made a FAST drop in and hot debark..the one CO came in and aske how many guys in camp..as i was saying '4 guys " he spotted a box of OPEN tampons and suddenly his whole demeaner changed as IF we were LYING about who and how many were in camp..

He said "so IF its 4 guys why the tampons "..I said " oh those are TIMS..lol..when i could see he had NO sense of humor..lol he laughed when i told him what we used them for designed to hold plenty of 'fluids" completely biodegradable lightweight and come with a handy string for hanging them up...and inexpensive...

steven

BCrams
09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Also try rubbing shrubs and trees with a shed. Works quite well.

What works better than a shed for moose is the shoulder blade from a moose. Lighter and sounds just like a palmated bull moose raking bush.

srupp
09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Canoe paddles work well also...have used both...

Steven

Wildman
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
M. stands for Miss. :lol:
Mr. stands for ME

Two entirely different people that don't know one-another.

No kidding.....

Fisher-Dude
09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
My understanding is that you end up with a big moose every night at closing time. Why you're asking for advice now is puzzling. :confused:

Kechika
09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the tips..If I fail its all your fault;-)