PDA

View Full Version : Elkhound Breeders

Axeman
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Hello all,
This is my first post so please forgive me if it is in the wrong section. I have done quite a bit of research and decided that a Norwegian Elkhound is the dog for me. I am however having trouble finding a breeder even remotely close to BC. While going through some of the threads I've noticed a few of you have Elkhounds. If you have any tips on where I could start to look for a puppy I would be much obliged.
Thanks,

newhunterette
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Hello all,
This is my first post so please forgive me if it is in the wrong section. I have done quite a bit of research and decided that a Norwegian Elkhound is the dog for me. I am however having trouble finding a breeder even remotely close to BC. While going through some of the threads I've noticed a few of you have Elkhounds. If you have any tips on where I could start to look for a puppy I would be much obliged.
Thanks,

welcome to HBC Axeman - the mods will take care of your posts when they are put in the wrong place by accident. But before you will get help from anyone you have supply a joke along with your introduction as that is part of your HBC initiation (MR Dean's law")http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/veryhappy.gif - oh and be sure you joke is clean because it is a family forum :)

as for Elkhound breeders we have many people as you said who own Elkhound so I am sure you will be connected in the right direction for you very very "valuable new hunting partner"

again welcome to HBC

Axeman
09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Thank you very much for the welcome and I surely don't want to break any laws, so here's a joke. Keep in mind I don't usually tell jokes with out Whiskey and when I do they're anything but clean so don't be to harsh...

A man walks into a bar and orders a beer. He takes his first sip and sets it down. While he is looking around the bar, a monkey swings down and steals the pint of beer from him before he is able to stop the monkey.

The man asks the bartender who owns the monkey. The bartender replies "The piano player." The man walks over to the piano player and says "Do you know your monkey stole my beer." The pianist replies "No, but if you hum a few bars, I'll play it."

newhunterette
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
okay someone set up the whiskey on the bar lol

actually cute joke axeman - I am sure Mr dean will enjoy it

now lets find you a pooch

steepNdeep
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey Axeman,

I bought an Elkhound a few years ago. They are an amazing breed - I wouldn't want anything else now. They do best on a large property though. They don't do well in a pen or small house...

An excellent breeder is Norman Vig of Vigeland Kennels. He is one of the pioneers of the breed in Canada and has bred several champions - Best Elkhound in Canada. He was a sheep hunting guide imported dogs from Norway before, where they are hunt tested before they are registered. His dogs are praised in the Canadian Elkhound book. He has slowed considerably, but still does the odd litter. He is in Chilliwack, BC and I'll try and find his number.

Here is Luna. She's ~5 year old - excellent with kids and loves to chase bears. In the last 2 years, she's bayed up ~20 bears. I could have shot many of them. I use rubber blunts on my bow now, for the problem ones around my property. :D

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/elkhound-lake.JPG

Axeman
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Luna's a real beauty steepNdeep. Thanks, I much appreciate any leads I can get.

Axeman
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
steepNdeep I ran Mr Vig's name through the search engine and came up with and address in Abbotsford and this phone number 604-823-2249. It also brought up a registered breeder named Christine Woolridge on Salt Spring Island. I've got some phone calls to make. Thanks again for the headstart.

steepNdeep
09-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Norm Vig - Vigeland Kennels in Abbotsford (604) 823-2259

Here's some background on him (through his daughter's website who is also a breeder): http://www.daghans.com/sbio.html

Axeman
09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Once again, thank you sir.

Elkhound
09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Axeman.......Steepand deep beat me to it. Thats the place you want to buy in BC. Got mine there too. Norman has been doing it a very long time cause he enjoys the breed. Post pics when you get one.

S&D....Luna sure looks good. Where was that pic taken? Sure makes me miss Loki. I have pics that look identical to that spot with him.

Wolfman
09-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Beauty dog there. Looks like she's got a nice winter-warm coat

Wolfman