PDA

View Full Version : Grouse, where to go?

Woodpile
09-18-2008, 08:32 AM
This is my first year hunting and I would like to go and get some grouse. I just dont want to travel too too far. I've been reading that region 2 is a longshot for them. What is the best area to hunt grouse in relation to Vancouver? Thank you.

Leaseman
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Past the toll booth on the Coq..... lots of side roads and a fair supply of chickens.....;)

Wild one
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Seen lots around Lytton and a good mix of bunnies and grouse out towards princeton.

Mr. Dean
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Past the toll booth on the Coq..... lots of side roads and a fair supply of chickens.....;)

x2

The predation around our town is astronomical. You need to get away from the massive yote population.

......IMHO

Huey
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I had success on the west side of Harrison last weekend. Could have limited out if I wern't so dumb......

rishu_pepper
09-18-2008, 10:38 AM
West Harrison even? Surprised I must say. Perhaps I should take my Camry up there :lol:

Sasquatch
09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I've done pretty good up behind Squamish, although I haven't been out this year yet.

branthunter
09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Any suggestions for blue grouse. The guy that posted about Ashnola sheep said he'd seen a fair number up on Crater Mt.---anyone been out and about this year and seen good blue grouse populations in any other areas? I underst6and they can be very cyclical. I've been hunting all my life but getting a blue has eluded me so far and that's something I'd dearly love to remedy.

Leaseman
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Seen a dozen blues last outing...all above the 500ft mark.....

Huey
09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
[quote=rishu_pepper;330405]West Harrison even? Surprised I must say. Perhaps I should take my Camry up there
Yes the camry would fit right in up there... never going back there on a weekend...

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
This is my first year hunting and I would like to go and get some grouse. I just dont want to travel too too far. I've been reading that region 2 is a longshot for them. What is the best area to hunt grouse in relation to Vancouver? Thank you.

Drive up to Boston Bar just before you enter the main town hang a right and drive about 8 k up the Anderson FSR ,the road will branch off take a right and travel 3 k ,look on the side of the road there will be some chickens on the side of the road for you to shoot.:p Go now grasshopper.

Spuddge
09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I second the Boston Bar area, and after you get them bring them to my house and feed me!

rishu_pepper
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes the camry would fit right in up there... never going back there on a weekend...

LOL I was half kidding (I'd take my friend's beaten Corolla :lol:)

branthunter
09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Seen a dozen blues last outing...all above the 500ft mark.....

And the outing was where ???? Don't expect folks to tell me on here about their secret roads but a general area (eg. just E. of xyz town) would be most helpful.

sparkes3
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
pemberton saw lots up there last weekend

jessonml
09-18-2008, 08:34 PM
East side of the 5A between the 97c and Princeton. Lots up there and deer and bear too. We got 10 during the heat of the day while deer hunting last weekend. Very tasty in camp with bacon grease.

Greenhead
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I find it interesting that when ever grouse, and region 2 come up, everyone becomes so negative? I bowhunt as much as possible in region 2, specifically the chilliwack area and see (and arrow) grouse on almost every trip when open to do so? Am I just getting lucky? They are all over the place! Chwk river valley, vedder mnt, sumas mtn, harrison east and west. Get out there in some nice weather and have some fun! you dont have to drive to the Coq or boston bar! Geezz! might as well buy chicken at these gas prices!
GH

Plincker
09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Last Oct. I saw lots of grouse up in Pemberton, I beleive it was up Meager creek. I plan on going back again this year.

Out in Lions Bay we have lots! I see em all the time hiking and when they're nesting the get really Pissed off and chase you on your dirt bikes and fly into your helmet! They're crazy lil buggers!! It's really to bad that we can't hunt up the Mt!!

ryanb
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
There are not really many places you WON'T find grouse in BC, including region 2, despite what you read on this forum. I never have trouble shooting a few when I'm out, that is when I could be bothered to waste a .410 shell at over $a dollar$ a pop (why the heck should a .410 shell be more than 12 gauges shells?!).

Gateholio
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
12 guage are cheaper due to mass production...

And there are no grouse, deer or bears in Pemberton:tongue: