PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbikes

Nankilslas
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone here knows if a dirtbike that is licenced on the street can go into atv restricted areas? Does anyone know who I would ask?

Mr. Dean
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd have to refresh myself but,,,,, I believe that they're classed as one and the same.

Wildman
09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Not allowed...is how I understand it.

bighornbob
09-17-2008, 03:51 PM
The ATV restrictions are usually for all motor vehicles. So just becuase there is an ATV restriction does not mean you can take a truck, car or street legal motor bike in there.

BHB

MichelD
09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
In the regulations synopsis areas are listed as "Motor Vehicle Closed Areas" "Motor Vehicles for hunting closed Areas," or as on page 79 of the current regulations synopsis "ATVs for Hunting closed Areas" and the next sentence says "The operation of ATVs (including motorcycles) for the purposes of hunting, or to transport hunters, hunting supplies, wildlife or firearms to or from the location of wildlife is prohibited in areas."

Page 58 also includes motorcycles in the ATV and Snowmobile closed areas.

I don't think you're going to find a loophole that says you can ride motorbike in an ATV closed area.

NEEHAMA
09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
but you can take the roof off your sidekick and it's just like a atv....that's a loop hole there...

ape
09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
If you have a licensed motorcycle (dualsport or enduro) for the hwy you can take it anywhere you can take your truck or sidekick. I had asked this question to people at the ministry and the poor guy that I dealt with called me back 3 or 4 times with answers but in the end he told me that if it is licensed for the road it does not fall under the ATV restrictions. Now please note if there is a vehicle closure that is to all vehicles.

bcsteve
09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
It's like the guy I met last week end that was telling us that his Kawasaki Mule was a UTV and not an ATV so he was ok, nice try!.

Nankilslas
09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
It's like the guy I met last week end that was telling us that his Kawasaki Mule was a UTV and not an ATV so he was ok, nice try!.

This is sorta why I asked, I know what the regs say about an atv/utv/dirtbikes/snowmobiles all being the same thing when it comes to atv closed for the purposes of hunting area, however I was told the determining factor was it had to be registered and licenced.
Just to clarify- I'm not trying to take an enduro down some back trails but there is an area I go where you can drive your truck down the main road but not an ATV/UTV for the purposes of hunting it makes no sense to me, why don't they just make it no atv's 10m off main road?

MichelD
09-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think licenced or not enters into it.

When the operation of ATVs and motorcycles is written as prohibited I would think that is pretty clear.

Fisher-Dude
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Actually, there is a "loophole" in the ATV definition:

All Terrain Vehicle or ATV

- means a wheeled vehicle or tracked vehicle propelled
by motorized power, and capable of travel on
or off a highway, including motorcycles but not
including a snowmobile or motor vehicle that is

licensed for highway travel under the

Motor Vehicle Act.

A licensed dual sport or Enduro would therefore be exempt from ATV restrictions.

MichelD
09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I sent this question to the MOE

"I wanted to ask if anyone here knows if a dirtbike that is licenced on the street can go into atv restricted areas? Does anyone know who I would ask?"

The reply:

No. The area is closed to all motorized vehicles, except under permit or officers in the performance of their duties. It would kind of defeat the intent of the closure otherwise.

This is from a Compliance & Enforcement Technician at the Ministry.

I asked for details and he provided the following:

The closure is for all motorized vehicles. An ATV, 4 wheeler or Motorcycle are all motorized; therefore, the type of vehicle or insurance is not at issue. This is why these closure are worded in this fashion or they would be unenforcible. Most of these closures are in place to meet specific management objectives on crown land, BC Parks, etc. Keep in mind some areas may have closures in place, but there may be designated routes in which you can legally use an motorized vehicle. It pays to look into specific closures.