PDA

View Full Version : Predetor call, sure got the bears running in

BigfishCanada
09-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Im currently building two new cottages lakeside on red lake, so lucky me gets to get out hunting while me crew works.

Saturday morning I take off and had zero luck seeing anything more than a doe. The moon was so bright the night before it was like street lamps were on down the logging roads.

Anyways around 10am I decide to walk up to a cliff and look down a clear cut, as I do I noticed a nice bear run into the bush's, and I do have a bear tag so I thought I wonder if it would come to a predetor call I herd on the net, I make this awful shriek sound which echoes down the cut, and threw th forest and not even 30 seconds after, that bear has started running full out up the block towards me.

Well its maybe 500 yards so I think , wow this is cool, and then i notice this bear is not stopping and has started going what i appear to be around me in the forest line. All of a sudden behind me I hear something and a different bear is running down the hill right towards me, HOLLY CRAP, I lock and load and have my rifle right on him ( I didnt want to shoot, itw as pretty hot out and I wasnt out for bear) so i yell and he gets around 20 feet and right as im about to fire he turns and runs away, Phew i think, so I start hiking out and remeber that the first bear was running up towards me also, and before I know it ,$%#$$, it charges out of the bush also.

With my rifle pointed at it i get on my quad and instead if screwin around I high tale it out of there, and would you believe it chased my quad a bit before I leave it in the dust.

never have I tried calling bears, and never will I unless I plan on shooting one again. I felt a bit scared, nervous, but at the same time super excited that I got to experience it.

Anyways, any of you that want bears, the call works very well! too well!!! Here is a link to a sound file similiar to what the sound I made was:

http://sdsnake.com/Coyote/RDSR6.wav

Gateholio
09-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, you have to be careful when claling in bears!:p

Mr. Dean
09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
They work!

Rock Doctor
09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I have found that "Wounded Rabbit" calls work good for bears. Just make sure that you are ready when they come for you ;)

In4TheHunt
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I did not know that, that is awesome.

BiG Boar
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
news to me! I will give it a try!

elkhunter1
11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Where can I buy one.

Shooter Jr.
11-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I called out a bear this year with a fawn distress call. I was actually playing with a couple does and about 1 minute later a bear came out checking it out. I waited till he got bored and went back in the trees and I began to leave and was walking down the road when I figured "what the hell, I wanna try that again" So I went back and it was now about 10 minutes since he went in the trees and I called again and sure enough he came running out and stopped about 40 yards away. was pretty neat. I think if you are hunting bears and you see one take off the fawn distress call just may bring em back out.

Shooter
11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Oops. didn't realize it was my son that was signed on so that previous post was from me not shooter Jr.

reaper1
11-16-2008, 06:39 AM
I have heard distress calls work well also. You think bears are still out and about?

mcrae
11-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I use calls in the spring and they work well for bears. My buddies usually have this really strange look on their faces when I start in with my rabbit distress call LOL...

bruin
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I've tried it in the spring with little success. I wonder if they are more responsive in the fall because they are so driven to find food before hibernation.

Krico
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
This fall while road hunting with the kids out at the cabin, I spotted a giant black bear feeding on blueberries across a ravine, about 175 yards away. The kids couldn't see him from their boosters in the back, so we all got out and stood at the top edge of the ravine. At this point he had fed behind some thick willows and the kids couldn't see him, so I said "watch this" and gave a few fawn distress bleats. Well he came barelling straight for us full tilt, you should have seen my kids eyes - as big as dinner plates:eek:. When he reached the creek bed at the bottom, I plunked the kids back in the truck, and went back to check his location. He came in to around 15 yards(with the kids yelling "shoot him shoot him" the entire time), in the steepest nastiest thickest willows possible, so he got to walk as it would have been a nightmare to deal with both him and the kids that day by myself.
So yes they work, very well8-)

p.s. Mom didn't like the story so much when we got home:???:

Mr. Dean
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I've tried it in the spring with little success. I wonder if they are more responsive in the fall because they are so driven to find food before hibernation.

I used a fawn distress to lure back a Blackie that I was trying to size-up. This was done early/mid spring. That particular bear was 'up' for ~a month.