PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Huntin' Areas

cowboy-up69
09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey all, Im heading out to kamloops within the next week or so to work untill dec-jan, just wondering if anyone could give me a few ideas on where to go and look for a decent 4pt muley and if there is any chance about gettin a whitetail? I'll be workin on the east side of town I think "not 100% sure) and wouldnt mind checkin out some areas close by for some bucks. A few guys from work and a real good buddy are gunna be with me and they all hunt too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

3kills
09-17-2008, 08:07 AM
greenstone mountain, jamison out past the westsyde and up towards sun peaks..

CT.45
09-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't bother with Greenstone. If you are on the east side of the Loops, try the hilly country south of Pritchard from Hwy #1 to Hwy 97. There are lots of roads to drive and lots more country to hike. You will find Muley's, maybe a whitey, but likely they are more plentiful as you head south east from here.

DDD
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Talk to Jelvis.

happygilmore
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Red lake... heffley to sunpeaks good roads off both sides...moose, deer, bear...

BCrams
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Talk to Jelvis.

x 2.......

KevinB
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
If you're going to be east of Kamloops, CT.45 gave good advice. You are near the border with Region 8 out there, so if you cut your Region 5 tag it's not too bad of a drive to get into Region 8. I too would tend to avoid Greenstone, there have been a few whoppers shot out there but it can be a bit of a gong show and the deer tend to be a bit skittish.

4 point
09-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Try up west behind Monte Lake over to Douglas Lake Ranch. Don't hunt on ranch. Lots of roads and deer, moose up there. Although it can get busy come Oct. 1st.

Jelvis
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Occonnel Lake area for spikers and Red lake area for fours. Simple as dat! Jelly-bean-bags-babblin-big-bucks
And a spiker that you can cut with a forker-mmmm-good-Moose smokies with cheese-kanakers-Kamloops spots.
Occonnel and Red-Lakes. Two will keep you busy-By-by

cowboy-up69
09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks so far for thew info. I found out today that I wont be heading that way for another 2 weeks now, so I still got some time to hunt big bucks around here!

300H&H
09-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Occonnel Lake area for spikers and Red lake area for fours. Simple as dat! Jelly-bean-bags-babblin-big-bucks
And a spiker that you can cut with a forker-mmmm-good-Moose smokies with cheese-kanakers-Kamloops spots.
Occonnel and Red-Lakes. Two will keep you busy-By-by

Yeah, but what time of the season is best ?

Jelvis
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Hunting moose right times, depends on what your after and if you got lucky on leh, or spike/fork-If you can hunt any bull moose between Sept 26th to October 9th to utilize main rut tendencies. But if your leh says November you go in November right. If you got cow/calf different again.
For trophy mule deer bucks October 23rd thru November.
For a nice fat young meat buck--Sept 10th to October 20th or to the end of anybuck October for smaller bucks for tender tastey meat.
Spike/Fork--Opening day Sept 20th on.
Whitetailed deer are two weeks later than mule for breeding season rut. Therefore factor in 14 day window to your advantage of success ratio. Jel-good luck-read reg's

cowboy-up69
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
So I found out for sure that Im gunna be there for work on thursday mornin, I'll be workin 7-5, 10 on and 4 off. Not many chances for huntin. And I'll be on a the east side, any close aareas I can go for a quick drive after work to look for a meat buck? Whitey or muley?? Even a bear??
Let me know, thanks!

Jelvis
10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
East side go Cherry Creek/Greenstone Mt road close to Kammy or up Knutsford passed Edith Lake-Dripping water.
Or Heffley Creek or Orchard Lake all got animals. Jelly and the Jel-tones. I would go Cherry Creek up Greenestone Mtn Road then go towards Duffy Lake for anybuck all October. Jel

bigmike
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
East side go Cherry Creek/Greenstone Mt road close to Kammy or up Knutsford passed Edith Lake-Dripping water.
Or Heffley Creek or Orchard Lake all got animals. Jelly and the Jel-tones. I would go Cherry Creek up Greenestone Mtn Road then go towards Duffy Lake for anybuck all October. Jel

you forgot to tell him that 80% of the land and roads around dropping water are private and you need a permit to be there......just sayin the ranchers dont take kindly to huntin folk 'round those parts

Jelvis
10-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Don't be scared of everyone. lol No one owns the roads through any forest on crown's land thats open tp public. Your too paranoid. lol. I know all kinds of guys that hunt there. lol moose and deer. Must be one of your personal spots. lol. I'll be there with another hunter. Jel-all over there.

bigmike
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Don't be scared of everyone. lol No one owns the roads through any forest on crown's land thats open tp public. Your too paranoid. lol. I know all kinds of guys that hunt there. lol moose and deer. Must be one of your personal spots. lol. I'll be there with another hunter. Jel-all over there.
they might not own the road(they actually do in a lot of cases)but they own the surrounding land so I guess if you are into shooting animals when they are standing on the road then so be it.
I do hunt there sometimes,and I have written permission from the landowners.Ill be sure to call them tommorow and let them know how you feel,hopefully they will beef up the patrols that they do of that area.
Ive been trying for the last few years to get gates put up.

mrdoog
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
"Ive been trying for the last few years to get gates put up."

Gates are fine, it's the locks that annoy me.

bigmike
10-13-2008, 08:05 PM
"Ive been trying for the last few years to get gates put up."

Gates are fine, it's the locks that annoy me.
its attitudes like this that make ranchers make private areas

mrdoog
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Attitudes like what?
I'm confused?

Jelvis
10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Ranchers up there are so broke from the cattle prices dropping and feed prices and gas rising they can't afford gates. lol.
They can't put gates on a crown road anyways and only a couple places up there mostly Crown like all backroads around the loops.
I'm going to encourage all hunters to hunt up behind Edith Lake some big bucks and go right through on Dripping Water to the old Merrit highway lots of bucks in there. Jelly-Dripping Water good area lots of game.

bigmike
10-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Ranchers up there are so broke from the cattle prices dropping and feed prices and gas rising they can't afford gates. lol.
They can't put gates on a crown road anyways and only a couple places up there mostly Crown like all backroads around the loops.
I'm going to encourage all hunters to hunt up behind Edith Lake some big bucks and go right through on Dripping Water to the old Merrit highway lots of bucks in there. Jelly-Dripping Water good area lots of game.
possibly one of the dumbest things youve posted.
a lot of roads that people think are crown are actually private property and could be gated if the landowners wanted too.
youd be suprised

Jelvis
10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Someone is paranoid! lol. Crown man. Just about all of it.
Show the area on here from the available maps of private land from the internet if you can and we'll see how much is private and you'll be surprized. lol. You got the internet skills to do it. Map of Dripping Water area showing private lands and Crown. Would be the only way to prove a point on this otherwise it's just he says and thats not good enuff for some. Maps.

BigBanger
10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
From what Ive been seeing its better not to mess with " bigmike " he knows everything . Dont know how we ever lived without him .

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
From what Ive been seeing its better not to mess with " bigmike " he knows everything . Dont know how we ever lived without him .

What the hell, let'em both have fun.:lol:

bigmike
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM

true statement

Laurence_Erickson
10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
well cowboyup if you are east of town ,I might suggest down around monte lake too,there is some nice ucks taken every year .how far east are you ?? I hope you got as much of a laugh as me listening to big mike and jelvis.LMAO

bigmike
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
well cowboyup if you are east of town ,I might suggest down around monte lake too,there is some nice ucks taken every year .how far east are you ?? I hope you got as much of a laugh as me listening to big mike and jelvis.LMAO

how is it funny???
there IS lots of private land in the area he stated(dropping water)

bigmike
10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Someone is paranoid! lol. Crown man. Just about all of it.
Show the area on here from the available maps of private land from the internet if you can and we'll see how much is private and you'll be surprized. lol. You got the internet skills to do it. Map of Dripping Water area showing private lands and Crown. Would be the only way to prove a point on this otherwise it's just he says and thats not good enuff for some. Maps.

here is a link to a map of private land,the lake at the bottom is stump lake,dropping water fsr is just past the north end of the lake,note all the private land areas shown.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dka/Maps/Docs/Overviewsettlementmap.pdf

cowboy-up69
10-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Haha yeah, it has been quite a laugh. "big mike" sure does know everything and he isnt even from there! But I'll jus have to find out for my self.

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Try Greenstone Mtn road first up aprox. 2 km turn right (west) than to Duffy and past then go back to fork and go towards Greenstone Mt and check the area as you drive you could see a nice deer. Once you know it a bit walk around in the trees parallel to road inside about 50 yards.
Good luck hunting. Jel

Caveman
10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Before this gets stupid, Jelvis mentioned Edith Lake. I'm not big on areas, but I though "Dropping Waters was in this area to the south west of Edith. Stump Lake is quite aways from here. Lots of Crown land to the west and south of it Good deer area. Lots of roads, trails, cutblocks and timber here. Some borders private farm land and would be a good place to set up for them leaving the fields. I've spent many hours on these ridges, trust me. One area I haven't heard mentioned is the Dardenells area. Not sure on the spelling

swampdonkey
10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
most of stump lake area is private unless you know someone but past 8-9 km up towards dardnels you r alright there r some big deer in that area good luck:D

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Drive right through the Stump ranch on the forest road going towards Dardannelle lake. Once you hit the top of the hill there is a cattle gaurd, over it and now you can hunt. Bin dare dun dat. Good spot by the way for deer. Both kinds too. If you keep driving it gets into moosier habitat. Dardinellis Lake area. Check reg's for spikers.
I'd say worth a looky for sure. If ya got the diesel.
Jelly-dardinellies-donkeys

bigmike
10-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Drive right through the Stump ranch on the forest road going towards Dardannelle lake. Once you hit the top of the hill there is a cattle gaurd, over it and now you can hunt. Bin dare dun dat. Good spot by the way for deer. Both kinds too. If you keep driving it gets into moosier habitat. Dardinellis Lake area. Check reg's for spikers.
I'd say worth a looky for sure. If ya got the diesel.
Jelly-dardinellies-donkeys
true for the most part but there are a few valleys between stump and dardenelles and roche area that are private and are NOT to be hunted without a permit.
call me crazy all you want,I know the ranchers there and i have permits to hunt the areas in question.
bigmike_knowzmyshit:mrgreen:

mrdoog
10-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I've got a permit as well!

swampdonkey
10-15-2008, 07:40 AM
its my buddies uncle who owns the ranch big deer late season :-P

mrdoog
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
So you've probably got a permit as well!

Jelvis
10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I want a permit too! Jel-wants permission. lol.

mrdoog
10-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Granted Jelly-belly, you now have a permit as well.

Jelvis
10-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks now I can hunt there. Appreciated--Jel-feel better