PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Hunting spots on the WEB???

steepNdeep
09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Reading posts like KenKell's post on a big bull or Jelly's babble got me wondering about how many guys use information from the WWW to check out new hunting locations...

Personally, I have used info. from the web to check out new areas...
You???

Steeleco
09-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Nope, I do a fair bit of research on area's I already know a little. Google earth gets better every time I use it. But there's just too much province to hunt it all.

steepNdeep
09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Mods - can you sticky this for a bit?

daycort
09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
personally, no I haven't. But it doesn't mean the info I give to some people is not legit.

Sitkaspruce
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I haven't bcause of where I have lived, great hunting within 15 min of my house. Now, I will be as I am now on the island and have been out of touch with what has been going on for late season mulies. My old stomping grounds are over run with hunters, at least that is what I have been reading about (Gang Ranch).

I am going to do some research on some new areas to try, and that info, along with Google Earth should get me started on the right track.

Cheers

SS

BCrams
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I haven't bcause of where I have lived, great hunting within 15 min of my house. Now, I will be as I am now on the island and have been out of touch with what has been going on for late season mulies. My old stomping grounds are over run with hunters, at least that is what I have been reading about (Gang Ranch).

I am going to do some research on some new areas to try, and that info, along with Google Earth should get me started on the right track.

Cheers

SS

You just find Dana's camp in Reg 3 like I did at 3:30am a few years ago and you're set.

Wild one
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I do use some info mostly due to the fact I have been out of prov for a few years and things have changed. I still like just picking a spot on the map and just going and trying to find some thing new.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Personally, I use the intraweb to learn where NOT to hunt.....The Gang, x-zone, 4-20, Clearwater.........that kinda thing:roll:.

SSS

tufferthandug
09-16-2008, 09:09 PM
I certainly pay attention to places mentioned around BC and hope to use the information when I may need it. Certain posters I pay closer attention to than others.

The Hermit
09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Nope bought a quad and crossbow and plan to hunt the entire province this year just riding all the FSRs! LOL J/K

mrdoog
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Most of the "Hotspots" listed are hundreds if not thousands of square kilometers in area.

moosinaround
09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Google Earth Man!! Years of forestry consulting, and living in the same spot all my life gives me an advantage! I got ot know the areas well! Moosin

huntwriter
09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I do most of my own research by contacting biologists, reading population and harvest data where available. Once I have the basic information I check out Google Earth to get a view of an area and the layout. I may also contact a few members of this forum known to have knowledge about the area in question for more advice.

Gateholio
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I've given out lots of info to peopel over the years, and I've had some generous individuals give me some tips, too.

I don't run like a lemming to some spot to seek a big animal featured on HBC...since it is already dead...:p

Brambles
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm going to Clearwater to find Dana's secret hunting spot. Now all I have to do is Follow BCrams crummy directions, no wonder it took him till 3:30am to find the camp.....

lip_ripper00
09-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm going to Clearwater to find Dana's secret hunting spot. Now all I have to do is Follow BCrams crummy directions, no wonder it took him till 3:30am to find the camp.....

did he sell you tha sketchey map too?:!:

Brambles
09-16-2008, 10:31 PM
did he sell you tha sketchey map too?:!:

I got him drunk on Peach Shnapps, he loves the "girl drinks":tongue: He really started talking when the Shnapps kicked in.

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
I go out of my way in locating my own areas. If I read about the monsters from one area, I try to find one in another. I'm in more-so for the adventure and nothing makes for better times than goin in blind.

Can anyone recall the picture of the buck that started the Clearwater Revival??? It was a dandy!

You should see the Grouse that the area produces.... :lol:

Avalanche123
09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I stick to the areas I know and I am always looking for new places in this neck of the woods by scouting on the ground.

Leaseman
09-17-2008, 07:27 AM
I am a creature of habit.... Hunted moose in the same area since 1970 and have hunted deer closer to home, again always in the same area since the early 80's.....

If/when I get more time, I just might have to broaden my horizons...:wink::lol:

CT.45
09-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I like to use the babble from some members to remind me where not to go. I like topo maps and my love of exploring to find a nice spot. Google Earth is a great help too.

Mr. Dean
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
I like to use the babble from some members to remind me where not to go. I like topo maps and my love of exploring to find a nice spot. Google Earth is a great help too.

THAT'S what I call hunting!

TIKA 300
09-17-2008, 07:05 PM

I agree 100%.....

The reason ive not got MONSTER BUCKS,or WALTER FISH,cuz i like to stay away from the main stream.

Ive said for years,if your camping in the summer and wanna be alone,STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER .

So dont do what others do .......

Elk-Aholic
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
A truely good hunter does not hunt another hunter's gut pile, need I say more???? It's all about hard work and putting dirt on your boots to find those spots you like to call your own where that majestic monarch may be hiding.

budismyhorse
09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Not withstanding Google Earth (gods gift to hunters), I rarely rely on what I get off the internet.

Though, when researching my stone sheep spot, I couldn't find much info about the area I ended up hunting, took that as a sign it would be less travelled....and never saw a soul. Sort of a reverse research of information I guess.

I'll also say, the first two weeks of hunting season we saw more people from out of region hunting nearby than ever ever before. Not that we don't expect a little competition, but the amount this year leads me to think that there is a lot of talk out there, via internet. This site has to be responsible for a fair bit of that.....not that there is anything wrong with that....I just think that this site is going to change things a bit, that is for sure.

Onesock
09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Hermit----you'll fit right in!!!!!!!! lol

steepNdeep
09-22-2008, 09:57 PM
~65% using info. from the web for hunting spots! With ~4,300 members and Ï'm sure as many lurkers, that's 5,600 people using info. on this website...:eek:

If ya want some company in a spot, just tell Jelvis... luckily he spouts off every name that he reads in the map book... ;)

DEVILKID
09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
google earth!! ftw!!!

troutseeker
09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I just look for the gates Jelvis always mentions, pee on them and go somewhere else...

I will look up area mentionned and see what the topography is like. If I like the area, I'll do like a goat and scramble in them spots no one else want to climb to.

I firmly believe that if you go into any of the spots being advertised and hike in a half hour from logging roads and quad trails you will find game. Contrary to what one reads on HBC not too many people will spend the time walking...