PDA

View Full Version : distance

BCHunter
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
whats a good distance to sight my scope onto? I have a 150 crossbow

thanks

ringo
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I sight mine to 65 yds, know where it hits at all intermediate points in between, like 15, 30, 45, and 65. You should not have any problems, just practice and practice, be aware of crosswinds and the effects.

BCHunter
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
thanks Ringo.

Thunderstix
08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
My buddy just got an Excalibur Exo-Max the other day. On about the 50th shot the string flew off and we are now worried about the limbs. He called Excalibur and they said send the limbs and string back ASAP and they will replace immediately. Good service although still puzzling as to why it happened to begin with.

BCHunter
08-30-2005, 02:03 PM
this is my crossbow:

RC-150 (With Kit & Reticle Scope)

Add to cart (http://www.fishinghut.ca/shoppingCart.php?add=133) | View Cart (http://www.fishinghut.ca/shoppingCart.php)

$470.25; In Store; 18028

The RC-150 is the perfect bow for many situations. Hunters who need a crossbow with an adjustable rear stock, or a hunter who wishes to carry a mere 5.7 pounds of crossbow around will prefer the RC-150. The traditional straight limbs combined with the “Veloci-Speed” wheel, synthetic cable and string system provide 260 feet per second of hunting power.

http://www.fishinghut.ca/images/items/133.jpg

brotherjack
08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
whats a good distance to sight my scope onto? I have a 150 crossbow

Well, you should NOT shoot anything with a crossbow past 40 yards. The time between the twang and the arrow impact starts getting dicy at that point (I've seen video of whitetails jumping the string for a clean miss at 30 yards), as does the potential for wind, minor arrow imperfections, and a million other things to throw off a shot that you can make at the range with your eyes closed. Your arrow is also loosing gobs of kenetic energy at those ranges, which you need lots of KE for a clean kill.

So, 40 yards being your max, I would set the scope for spot-on at 30. At 40, you'll aim about 6-8 inches high, and at 20 you'll aim about 4-6 inches low. Play with this for about 25 shots at the range, and you'll be ready for anything. If you've got a multi-recticle, then zero the long hairs at 40, and work your way in from there.

As a crossbow hunter myself (admitedly a new one), I won't take a shot much (if any) over 30 yards.

BCHunter
08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
thats what i was just told at Boorman Archery here in New West...I just spent $96!

has anyone here seen those animal targets? i bought 10

willyqbc
08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Danny, What weight bolt are you shooting out of this crossbow? This combined with the speed the bow is getting and the broadhead you choose will determine how far you should shoot at game (provoiding you are proficient at that range). I would agree that 40 yards would probably be the outer limits, with a cut on contact head being a very good idea.

Chris

BCHunter
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
100gr Wasp's

ringo
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ringo338/SS047.jpg

I use a Horton on a Horton bow, works for me. I use a Barnett PrimeCut 125 head.

Kirby
08-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Just curious, whats the general rule for bolt weight? how many gr per pound?

Kirby

rock
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I admit , a shot after 40 yds is pushing it , I like my animals to drop right away close shots do that, further shots create problems. I Don't shoot crossbows but do shoot a compound with pins and fingers.

brotherjack
08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
I dunno about how many grains per pound or anything, but almost all crossbow makers will recommend you stick with 400 or more grains total arrow weight (some will even void your warranty for shooting lower grain arrows). Reason being, the heavier the arrorw, the kinder it is to your bow (be it crossbow or otherwise, though more for a crossbow because of the high poundage). This isn't a bad thing actually, because more weight in the arrow means you sacrifice some FPS for Kenetic Energy (KE). KE behind your razor sharp broadhead is more critical to taking down your animal than FPS.

All this translates to me, shooting about 485 grain total arrow weight in a 150lb recurve crossbow (Horton steelforce). That's actually a touch heavy for my setup I think, but not by all that much - I should be around 220 FPS and 48-ish lbs of KE. So long story short, in my book, a 450-500 grain arrow is pretty ideal for just about any crossbow rig, going heavier for the higher power bows (I might even go more than 500grains for some of the super-fast bows that are shooting 300+FPS).