PDA

View Full Version : When is it Too Hot for hunting?

gwillim
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
So the forecast here in the West Kootenays is calling for 26 degrees daytime, and down to 9' at night. Nice weather for some Fall hikes, but I am wondering about hunting. How long would it take to start to spoil meat at these temperatures?

I have never field dressed anything before so I expect I will be longer than usual at that, plus we tend to hunt away from road access. I am wondering if I should cool my jets until the weather starts to be a bit more "Fall like".

TimberPig
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Before you can worry about spoiled meat because of the heat, first you need to find something to shoot. When its that warm, there isn't a lot of movement going on. You will hunt very hard in hot temperatures to score on pretty much anything, including birds.

gwillim
09-11-2008, 09:25 PM
The hot weather doesn't help with finding game active during the day for sure, but I have been running into the same whitetails this past week while I'm working. I even saw a buck with a little harem already, huffing his lungs out when I got too close!

I thought of walking up to the same area this weekend with my hunting gear, but as mentioned, am worried that the high temperatures could lead to meat spoilage. It would be a bit of a hike back to the truck (likely 1.5 hours packing a deer), and then an hour drive back home.

TimberPig
09-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Unless you leave the guts in it or leave it sitting open in the sun, you're not likely going to have any issues with meat spoilage in under 3 hours. I'd say go for it, but be prepared to move quick and get it out ASAP, so you can get the heat out of that meat. Hunting a bit closer to your truck might help in this regard.

gone hunting
09-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Good to see that you're thinking ahead. One problem with warm weather is that the flies go nuts on your game, while you are gutting and skinning. Maggots don't impress the butcher much. Another problem is finding room in a meat cooler, since everyone else has the same problem. It's a good idea to stop by a local meat cutters shop and ask how much space they have, and make sure you can contact them after hours.
If I'm having to hunt during a heat wave, I skip the morning hunt and go out in the late afternoon. That way it's cooling down as you deal with your critter instead of getting hotter. Plus, no flies at night. Make sure you have good light and someone to hold it. (I use a head lamp.) Also, day or night, if we're in grizzly country, one of us is always holding a rifle. Good luck and have a great season.

In4TheHunt
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I cut up my firs Buck in 3' of snow so there was no issues, but I see where you are comming from. All your input is very useful and good to keep in mind while hunting in nice HOT weather..

The Lower mainland will hopefully cool of b 4 my hunting trip in early Oct.

Cheers

J_T
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
The early bow seasons often have hunters out in plus 30 degree whether with nights only getting into the low 20's. Meat spoilage is minimal. It is a concern, but it is minimal.

With 9 degree nights, during a morning hunt, you have virtually no issue with meat once an animal is down. The active hunt is often over by 11AM and I doubt it will be 26 degrees by 11AM.

gwillim
09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. This weekend we are planning a sub-alpine traverse/hunt, hoping that the high elevations and north facing slope will keep things (including us) cooler. Also I have a buddy coming along who actually knows what he's doing in terms of field dressing. Should be a great day no matter which way it goes!

By the way, is it true that black pepper applied to exposed meat will keep flies away? Seems like you would need quite a pack of pepper (or is it peck of pepper) to cover an entire mule deer.

J_T
09-14-2008, 07:06 PM
I always carry a gallon of vinegar and a large Costco container of pepper in the truck for meat management.

In4TheHunt
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I always carry a gallon of vinegar and a large Costco container of pepper in the truck for meat management.

JT can you explain further about the vinigrar ans pepper please..

huntwriter
09-15-2008, 03:36 AM
If it takes you less than three hours from the kill to get the meat home you will be fine. On the other hand you also could take one or two cooler boxes with you loaded with a few ice packs that you can purchase in any grocery store and most gas stations. Cut the deer up and load it into the cooler boxes on top of the ice packs.

In4TheHunt. Some hunters use vinegar and, or pepper with which they lightly cover the carcass to keep flies and other insects away from it. The vinegar is mixed with water and then the carcass is rubbed down with that solution. The pepper is lightly sprinkled all over the carcass inside (if skinned) and out.