PDA

View Full Version : To anyone in the LEduc/Beaumont ALberta area

clu__82
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello all,
Well this no hunting thing is driving me nuts.I have just moved to Alberta this July with my wife and started our professional lives. I am originally from Kelowna and have been hunting all of my life. I had lived in MN for the past 6 years finishing up my schooling after going down there on a hockey scholly. I recently in Aug wrote and completed the PAL test but that doesn't get issued to me for 3 months which means hunting season will be over by then. THe past 4 years I have spent duck hunting and pheasant hunting and not being able to hunt this year is killing me. I have a 2 year old and 18 month old lab that are fully hand, whistle and command trained (of course they're young but they are doing excellent in training). So here is my offer to anyone that would be interested in the Leduc/Beaumont area:
Because my dogs are young and have not had a ton of experience, and because I cannot hunt due to the PAL issue; I would like to offer myself as a dog handler and my dogs to anyone that is interested in having some help retrieving birds. It can be in the fields or on water. My dogs are excellent retrievers and I don't want them to lose a season at such a young age. In return, all I ask is that you teach me some tips in waterfowl hunting, teach me how the hunting system runs here in Alberta in regards to the regs and show me some available hunting land/area that I could hunt in the future. I don't want to steal your fav spots or anything like that. I really just want to get to know some people and learn some spots where I could shoot a bird or two come next season. I work mon-fri right now with no holidays (new guy), so I would have to be a weekend hunter. So please if anyone is interested in the services of my dogs please let me know by PMing me.
Thanks alot
clu__82

Bowzone_Mikey
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
you got your alberta Win Number ???...

You dont need a PAL to get a hunting licence in AB just need it to buy guns and ammo

as long as you have proof of hunters ed of some sort ... your BC hunters # will suffice

clu__82
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes I do have a WIN #. But would I be able to carry a gun?? or could I just archery hunt this year?? thanks for the info

Bowzone_Mikey
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
the AB gov. under King Ralph a few years ago stated that they are not endorsing or enforcing the gun registry ... as a former member in the law enforcement industry in AB working for the provincial government that was sent down the chain from Ralphies office ... the Mounties have little or no say in AB anymore as their contract was not renewed and alberta has gone to a provincial sherrifs style of policing ... Mounties still have a presence in small towns but for the most part are not involved with check stops anymore.

Now that all said ... you would still need a PAL to posses a gun ... what did you do in BC? is yours just expired? you can contact the AB firearms officer and say that you have an expired PAL and your renewal paper work is in and he will draft up a letter stating that you are all good ...

besides Archery season opened sept 3rd ... some WMUs are open to guns ...but most are not untill November .... when all the good hunting is over ... get out there with your Bow and snap some big critters

clu__82
09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I had never gotten a PAL before. I moved away at 16 to play junior hockey and I could always hunt under my dad's license until that time. I didnt have time to go hunting when I was playing hockey and I moved to MN on a hockey scholarship at 19. I was down there for six years so there was no real point in getting a PAL. I passed the hunting courses etc and hunted down there for the past 4 years but non of that transfered over. I moved to Alberta in July straight from MN and in crossing the border I had guns with me that needed permits stating that I would get a PAL (which I needed anyways) so I just took it in Aug and passed it. So that is the story :) I do have a compound bow and a crossbow. And the way I understand it I could hunt the gun season with my crossbow. The next step is just finding area to hunt. It just seems that the area is all farmers fields.

Thanks for the help so far and let me know anything else.

Clu__82

Jagermeister
09-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Have you been to this forum?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/

clu__82
09-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeppers...I have been a member since I moved to Alberta.. Thanks for showing me though ...if you have any other helpful info that could help me out that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

clu__82