PDA

View Full Version : Deer pepperoni

In4TheHunt
09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
This is my first post...

I was wondering if anyone out there processes their own meet?

What I'm looking for is a recipe for deer pepperoni.

Please advise

mark
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I butcher my own deer, but take meat to a sausage maker to get done!

newhunterette
09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
we cut up our own game meats and sometimes make our own sausages and pepperoni etc depending on time - we also take it in to be made as well

132mile
09-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I have been doing it for about 3 years. I would suggest looking at www.stuffers.com (http://www.stuffers.com). Just give them a call and they have great pre-mixes that do 10lb batches. Good Luck.

In4TheHunt
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

That at least gives me an idea of how to go about it the next time I bag something.

The last one I got I processed it myself and got about 80 lbs of sausage, but I would have liked some more variety.

Thanks again

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
homemade pepperoni
7 lbs venison cubed
3 lbs pork cubed
5 tblsp salt
1 tblsp sugar
2 tblsp cayenne pepper
3 tblsp sweet paprika
1 tblsp crushed anise seed
1 tsp garlic, very finely minced
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 tsp ascorbic acid
1 tsp saltpeter
6 feet small (1/2-inch diameter) hog casings

or you can purchase seasonings premixed at Stuffers in Langley as well as the casings.

Sausage Mix:
Grind the venison and pork through the coarse disk separately. Mix the meats together with the salt, sugar, cayenne, pepper, paprika, anise seed, garlic, red wine, ascorbic acid, and saltpeter. Spread the mixture out in a large pan, cover loosely with waxed paper, and cure in the refrigerator for twenty-four hours.

Prepare the casings. Stuff the sausage into the casings and twist off into ten-inch links. Using cotton twine, tie two separate knots between every other link, and one knot at the beginning and another at the end of the stuffed casing. Cut between the double knots. This results in pairs of ten-inch links. The pepperoni are hung by a string tied to the center of each pair. Hang the pepperoni to dry for six to eight weeks. Once dried, the pepperoni will keep, wrapped, in the refrigerator for several months.

Preparing the Casing:
Snip off about four feet of casing. (Better too much than too little because any extra can be repacked in salt and used later.) Rinse the casing under cool running water to remove any salt clinging to it. Place it in a bowl of cool water and let it soak for about half an hour. While you're waiting for the casing to soak, you can begin preparing the meat as detailed above. After soaking, rinse the casing under cool running water. Slip one end of the casing over the faucet nozzle. Hold the casing firmly on the nozzle, and then turn on the cold water, gently at first, and then more forcefully. This procedure will flush out any salt in the casing and pinpoint any breaks. Should you find a break, simply snip out a small section of the casing. Place the casing in a bowl of water and add a splash of white vinegar. A tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water is sufficient. The vinegar softens the casing a bit more and makes it more transparent, which in turn makes your sausage more pleasing to the eye. Leave the casing in the water/vinegar solution until you are ready to use it. Rinse it well and drain before stuffing.

Ron.C
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds good! I think I'll try my hand at it this weekend and see how it goes

Ron.C
09-15-2008, 01:52 PM
One question on the dry curing process, which ingredient actually provides the curing function that kills the nasty food borne illnesses that can occur when drying meat products? I am a complete newby to this but have read other sites that say "Cure#2???" is required for dry curing pepperoni?? I have no idea what this is.

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
saltpeter and ascorbic acid are curing agents

Ron.C
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
thanks....

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
thanks....

Ron, I know ua re on the island but we have a place here called stuffers which has premixed spices and cures - I am sure their must be place near you as well

stuffers has a website too

good luck with it :)

Ron.C
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Ya, But I would prefer to start out with a small batch of home mixed spices so I can adjust ingredients to taste as I go and learn.

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Ya, But I would prefer to start out with a small batch of home mixed spices so I can adjust ingredients to taste as I go and learn.

homemade is always better cause you can add as much spice, hotness, sweetness, zestiness as u enjoy :) - I experiment a lot

tomahawk
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Ron if your that new to making sausage maybe making some fresh recipes first would be best till you get the hang of it? The drying and smoking (hot or cold) of cured sausage take some getting use to, but can be done if you take your time. I am in the middle of a 20# batch of Deer cured right now as the meat is marinating in the fridge. I never buy the pre mixed spices, make your own!!

In4TheHunt
09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Newhunterette,

Thanks for the recipe and all the other insight. this will send me on my way in search of the ingredients. If I ger something this season I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks
Mariusz

newhunterette
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Newhunterette,

Thanks for the recipe and all the other insight. this will send me on my way in search of the ingredients. If I ger something this season I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks
Mariusz

my pleasure and it i not if you get somethening it is when you get something :) best of luck

In4TheHunt
10-11-2008, 09:05 AM
You r right Mrs Ali. I was up by Mt. Foley last week and saw a lot of sign but no Deer. I did however see a mountain goat grasing about 100 yards from the peak in the alpine. I did not think that there would be goats in Chilliwack....But there are.

Try again late October maybe then.
Cheers

Birddog
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Cure # 2 is nitrates its used in slow curing process. Like drying pepperoni, hams, or salami for long periods of time. Cure # 1 is nitrites, it is also a cure but works much faster, More designed for sausage making ect. both can be fatal if ingested in their pure form in relatively small amounts. Both are not interchangeable in recipes. They are commonly called Prauge powder #1 and #2.

Mortons tender quick and sugar cure contain both nitrates and nitrites, along with other ingredients.(they are interchangeable). Mortons Sugar cure smoke flavored, only contains Nitrate plus other ingredients. It is not interchangeable with other Mortons products.

I use Mortons tender quick in my homemade Pepperoni, however my pepperoni is hot smoked and does not hang to dry. Kinda like if you where making sausage. It can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge, longer in the freezer.
I never have any in the fridge for that long though lol.

I would not advise making dry cured pepperoni unless you get advise from a butcher or reliable sausage maker. If you screw it up you could kill yourself from the bacteria that can grow in your pepperoni.

Cheers Birddog

threedhunter
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
ya all got to learn that saltpeter is prescribed by doctors to be used in camp kitchens to supress male hormones.it prevents blood flow to extremities that don't require it.(male reproductive organs).

Ron.C
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, I made my first small 5 pound test batch of pepperoni this weekend. I combined the recipe in this thread with one from the Bradly smoker website. I basically used a different cure and dried it in my smoker instead of air drying it. I think it turned out really good, actually alot better than I expected, but not as hot as I hoped. That's an easy fix for my next batch. I brought some into work today and didn't tell anyone I made it and several people asked me where I got it, I was happy with that. I'm hooked now and can't wait to make my next larger hotter batch

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/pepperoni1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/pepperoni3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/pepperoni2.jpg

Cmdrtron
10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
there is a meat cutter in Chilliwack that i had my deer processed at last year. made the best pepperoni i've ever tasted. PM me if you want his info. wasn't super expensive and well worth the money when you consider the time it takes to make it and you know it's done right. I tried my hand at it this year and if it weren't for the long distance i would have had to travel to get my deer to him this year i wouldn't have tried. but now i'm down for the challenge my self.

aaron78
09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
there is a meat cutter in Chilliwack that i had my deer processed at last year. made the best pepperoni i've ever tasted. PM me if you want his info. wasn't super expensive and well worth the money when you consider the time it takes to make it and you know it's done right. I tried my hand at it this year and if it weren't for the long distance i would have had to travel to get my deer to him this year i wouldn't have tried. but now i'm down for the challenge my self.

Hi, I'm near chilliwack and looking for someone they makes great pepperoni. What's the name of the place you had yours done?

Blacktail
09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
here try this

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?101974-Pepperoni-Sticks