PDA

View Full Version : Don't try This At Home...

Bow Walker
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
:idea: I've built myself some 'custom' arrows.

:!: First you've gotta be mindful of a couple of things - like shaft spine, like arrow F.O.C., and lastly grains per pound(s) of bow draw weight. Having said all that, I still went ahead and began experimenting.

Equipment;
Hoyt Vectrix XL - 28"DL, 61lbs.
APA Safari Twister arrow rest (arrow contact/support point is 2.65" behind Berger hole).
D-loop, and release.
Easton Fat Boy shafts 500 spine, cut to 26.12" (shaft only). 185.5 gr.
Easton Super Uni Bushings and Q.A.D. nocks. 15 gr. total
Easton Fat Boy target points, cut down to weigh 60/65 grains.
Duravane 4" 'Low Profile" vanes, cut to .38" high x 1.6" long. 5 gr. each

The average total weight for the finished arrows is between 274 gr .and 282 gr.

I built and tested one arrow - shooting at 20 yds (18 m) - and the thing flew like a laser light beam, straight and fast. No discernible wobble, fishtail, or porpoise. The spine works out good because of the shorter length of the shaft and the relative lightness of the components. F.O.C. has not been determined as yet because the arrow flies so damned well (low on the priority scale as yet).

I haven't had the chance to run any shots thru the chrony yet - it seems to have disappeared from work for some unknown reason...:mad:

I'm anxious to get out to a shoot and test them in the field.

greybark
09-09-2008, 09:14 AM
:smile: Hey Bow Walker , The last time I used a compound the 6-8 gr per Lb was the rule a normal limb failure rate for the industry .
What is their standard weight per Lb now and does this arrow fit in that parameter ??(4.6 g per Lb ) Sounds like a 3-d rocket in liew of hunting , am I correct ???
Cheers

willyqbc
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Greybark.....the basic standard now is 5 grains per pound. It is also the rule for 3D for any bow going faster than 280 FPS. You are legal to go under 5GPP if your speed is below 280....although it is not reccomended by the manufacturers and may void your warranty.

Chris

Bow Walker
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I found the chrony. I'm only getting 308fps...and that is standing 12 feet away from the sensors. I was expecting something a bit higher, like in the 320 range. Oh well, not to be had with this setup I guess.

My hunting setup (which is built for a combo of speed and KE) is putting out just shy of 250fps. I,m happy with both resuts - the 3D'er and the Hunter. Now I just gotta find the time to get to a shoot or two.

g.b. - I'm pushing the limit with this setup, but it flies very nicely and while it looks to be suspicious, it is quite safe.

Chris is right about the 5 grain per pound "safe" limit, though. As with the spine charts - they err on the side of caution, for the most part. I'm not advocating this as the "new" norm for building arrows - it just seems to work with my setup, is all.

jessbennett
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
are you planning to keep this set up? for hunting or 3-d?

Bow Walker
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Jesse - this is strictly a 3d/target setup. I prefer something with a bit more "total arrow weight" behind it for hunting. Hence the two different setups on two different bows.

The bow in my avatar is my hunting bow.

jessbennett
12-09-2008, 10:45 PM
well i could be wrong, but at that grain per pound and speed it would not be legal for 3-d ?

jessbennett
12-09-2008, 10:47 PM
i believe chris posted already on it, but legal weight for 3-d is 5 grains per pound, or if you are below 280 fps, you can go below 5 grains.

Bow Walker
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Here on the Island there isn't anything remotely resembling a 'sanctioned' shoot....I'd want to get he clubs together to change that - but that's another story altogether...so being 'legal' isn't an issue/concern as yet. Were I to be lucky enough to either qualify or even get to the Mainland for a 'sanctioned' shoot I'd (of course) change my setup so as to be legal.

So far this is just an experiment on my part. I'm getting a wee tad antsy - not being free to attend any shoots for the past couple of years/seasons. It's fun to play "what if" with things. I love to tweak, and to play around, and to tinker with things.

Again - no discernabe wear or tear on the equipment whatsoever.,,and believe me when I say that I am anal about my equipment.