PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out!

Taylor
08-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post on your forum.

My name is Taylor, I live in Southwestern Ontario, and just started the sport of archery. As I am still quite young (19 this fall), I figured it would be best to get as much information out of as many knowlegable people regarding my future sport as possible (before I get into bad habits).

Ever since my first rubber band/stick bow in grade two, I've been fascinated with Archery. Whether it be reading about the history of it, attemping to make my own bow (a two month endevour which ended in me almost losing an eye), or shooting a poorly made arrow (with duct tape fletching) out of my bamboo stick bow (strung with weed whacker line) into the siding of a neighbours house, I've always been interested in it.

Recently I've become independant, driven, and wealthy enough to actually get into the sport. I purchased a 30# @ 28" one piece fibreglass bow from Canadian Tire this past spring, and started shooting. After realizing that fibreglass arrows (they came with the bow) were too heavy, I set out to buy some better ones.

My quest for arrows brought me to a local Archery Shop. From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I had found a goldmine. The walls were lined with bows, crossbows, camoflauge, arrows, targets; all the things you people use regularily.

I bought a few arrows, but was not satisfied with the spine weights or fletching (I did some reading on the subject), so I figured,

"Screw it, I'll just make my own."

Hundred some odd dollars later, I've got myself a nice fletching operation. I've made twenty four cedar arrows so far, and (as I type this) am currently fletching three more.

Practicing regularily in my backyard between shifts, my arrows gradually found their way into tighter patterns within the target's centre rings, I realized I could only get so good with my cheap fibreglass bow (now worth less than my arrows).

After recieving a hefty paycheck from Canadian Tire, I headed back to the Archery shop. The guys there let me test a few bows within my budget. The first bow they strung for me was a Chek Mate Attila, 46# @ 28". My first shot, at 15 yards, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOLD. I felt nothing in my bow arm (compared to the brutal shock of the fibreglass bow), and the arrow sailed straight to the target (because of the shelf on the Chek Mate, I no longer was shooting around the bow). After trying a few more weights and models, I eventually went with the Attila.

So, here I am -- fletching some heavier arrows for my new bow, browsing the internet when I find your forum. After typing out my life story (which you have just read), I ask that you tell me everything I should know about shooting a traditional recurve bow.

My final goal is to harvest a wild turkey next spring, and I want YOU to help me get there. So please, share any info you can on recurve bows, stance, practice routines, arrow matching, camoflauge, instinctive shooting, wild turkey, fletching, stretches, morals, whatever you want to type, I will gladly read (and hopefully put into practice).

Thanks,

Taylor.

(PS: In the future, I promise not to type books)

brotherjack
08-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I dunno much to tell ya in the way of advice, I'm a crossbow shooter myself, never was very good with a u-pull-it, but I thought I'd give ya a welcome anyway.

So, Welcome to The Place (virtual handshake).

Kirby
08-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Ever since my first rubber band/stick bow in grade two, I've been fascinated with Archery. Whether it be reading about the history of it, attemping to make my own bow (a two month endevour which ended in me almost losing an eye), or shooting a poorly made arrow (with duct tape fletching) out of my bamboo stick bow (strung with weed whacker line) into the siding of a neighbours house, I've always been interested in it.

First off, that is once of the greatest introductions I have ever read!

Second, to the sport of archery:
I have shot instinctive recurve, and compound. Shoot lots, thats the most important thing with trad bows. I am by far not qualified to instruct on an instictive bow, so I won't go any farther than that.

this sight is great, and is frequented by many talented archers, and most any question you ask should be answered. However, if your looking for a more dedicated sight to archery, you can check out www.bowzone.ca (http://www.bowzone.ca)

You can also check into 3-D shoots/clubs, these are a wealth of knowledge, and there are always people willing to help out a new shooter.
Good luck, with the turkey, and with the addiction.

Kirby

DBM
08-27-2005, 11:21 PM
If you can't get your questions answered here or at bowzone I'd recommend archerytalk.com as another option.

Fred
08-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Welcome from me too Taylor. Another good site for info and a place where one can ask questions without being grilled and burned(and this site is real fine too,don't ban me Marc,please:mrgreen: ) would be the Bushnell Outdoors site at www.davewatson.com (http://www.davewatson.com) . It is mostly american but there is is a pretty fair representation of Canadian hunters and archers there. Fred

ex bc guide
08-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Welcome to a good site, I am sure that you will find all the info you will need here.
Mike

rock
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the sight, I can't say I'm not that knowledgeable in the field though I shoot a compound pse and thoroughly enjoy it, but I know with this sight you'll find the answers.

oldtimer
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Taylor Welcome to the sight, good intro !!! I am a compound shooter myself but my wife has started shooting recurve and has gotten advice from some former canadian champs.
PRACTICE< PRACTICE PRACTICE. These guys say start at a set yardage and shoot, shoot shoot until it is 2nd nature, then move back 5 yards maybe only to 15 yards and shoot, shoot ,shoot until it is natural and in a 4" circle. Then another 5 yards etc.
Greybeard on here is an excellent recurve shooter and may offer lots of advice as well.
Again... welcome to the sight ... MIKE

Taylor
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Yea, thanks for all the welcome guys. I've recently been practicing with my new Chek Mate bow (the one stated in the Intro). Since I just switched over from that crappy fibreglass bow, I'm finding it a lot more powerful.

As a whole, my shots are quite a bit better, hitting the yellow and red circles from 15 yards most of the time. The only thing is, occasionally, I'll have a shot that goes WAYYY off the board. I'm talking not even in the target. I never used to have this problem with my weaker bow, and I can't figure out why some shots are so extremely varied. My stance, draw and all that remain constant, so I can't figure out why a shot like that would go so off the mark. Could it be my fingertab? It's getting pretty old and worn.

Oh, and the arrow that goes way off is different each time.

- Taylor

PS: Kirby, I've been to Kamloops a few times to spend the summer. Gorgeous place!

oldtimer
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Taylor........ those shots are called BRAIN FARTS.. don't know why but it happens to all bow shooters. MIKE

swamper
09-02-2005, 09:52 PM
What kind of a tab are you using, I personally us a Fab Tab which is made from synthetic products. I used to use a leather finger glove, but after a while the string would form a grove in fingers and my groups would go in the crapper. I don't claim to be a great recurve shooter, but i can hold my own, as Oldtimer will attest. We are very lucky here in that we have several Canadian Champions that we get to shoot with and you never stop learning. Practice my young friend, practice.

greybark
09-05-2005, 11:01 PM
;-) Hey Taylor , Welcome to an Archery Adventure . Make sure you enjoy each practice and with your mindset you will find your groupings getting smaller and more consistant .

I suggest you number your arrows as a slight diviation in "spine" ( you get them once in a while) will result in an outcast . If you find it is the same arrow flying out of patern you may be able to save it by rotating the nock when placing the arrow on the string . Chances are it will fly right - mark it as to how the nock fits on the string .

8) What is your draw lenght ?
;-) You can check out the web site of the Traditional Bowhunters of BC at
www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc (http://www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc)

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Taylor
09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
After pulling an arrow 6 times and marking it, my average draw length was 28 1/4".

The arrows I have now were spined for 30#. The thing is, I didn't know that the grain affected the spine (well, I'm sure I did -- I just didn't think of it).

However, after buying and reading a really kickass book by T.J. Conrads called "The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook", I realized that since I put the nocks on without any regard to the grain, my current dozen arrows were spined all over the board (hence my incosistant groupings with my new and more powerful bow).

So, I kept shooting them, and any that were really out-of-whack I took out of the batch. I've now got three arrows that I can consistantly (because that's what archery is all about, right? ;)) group in the centre rings of the target at 15 yards. This couldn't have come any later, as I was getting really frustrated with my new bow (being a seemingly inconsistant shot with it).

After consulting a spine chart, I figure I'll need a 50-55# spined arrow for my 46#@28" bow. I'll get four 50's, and four 55's and try that "bare shaft tuning" (my nocking point hasn't moved since the guy at the archery store put it on there, so it's time to tune). After that, I should know which arrows best suit my bow (50 or 55) and I'll be on my way to getting that turkey next spring!

Now, for the question:

Do you guys know of any REALLY good cedar shafting? Consistant with their spine and weight (within a tolerance, of course) that can be ordered online? I was looking at these shafts, but I'm not sure, they don't seem to traditional but...

http://www.hexshaftarrows.com/

Any of you guys try them out? And if you know of any other good cedar suppliers, post a link for me please.

- Taylor

cominco
05-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Matching the spine of the arrow to the draw weight of the bow is pretty important. Assuming you are shooting right handed if the shaft is to heavy the arrow will not bend around the bow enough(Archers Paradox) and will go left, if it is not stiff enough the arrow will go right. This can be compensated for by switching point weights a heavier point weight makes of a lighter shaft and a lighter point weight makes for a stiffer shaft. You can also switch shaft sizes. I like carbon arrows now but I hunt with wood stubborn I guess but I likee them. The occassional wild shot could be caused by finger squeeze on your draw hand as pinching the arrow causes it to lift from the rest or shelf and go wild. Brain farts also happen.
There is a book called Archery Steps to Success ISNB #0-87322-854-5 which is 20 bucks well spend and prowl second hand book shops for some of the older Archery books as the methods of traditional shooting are much the same now as then and they are great reads.
Instinctive shooting is my prefered method but on occassion I fire up my target recurve. My favoured toy at the moment is my Chek-mate TD Crusader at 59 pounds at 27 inches. With instintive shooting it is best to draw and release quickly so you are not tempted to try and aim the arrow. This takes a lot of practice and if hunting the turkey is the goal practice shooting from various positions such as kneeling, crouching, prone and any weird postion that you may be requird to shoot from. Turkeys are tough to get at the best of times, not as dumb as they look and theyfol alot of folks. Hope this helps, Greg

cominco
05-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I should mention that I shoot bare fingered all the time and have never had a problem with this. Tried a glove and own an assortment of tabs but always end up shooting bare fingers . Greg

Shooter
05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I doubt he is still checking this thread, its 5 years old...lol. But at least you are looking to help.

cominco
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Your probablynright It never occured to me to check the dates Thansk I will be more careful with that in the future. Greg