PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Labradors

FlyingHigh
09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
so, i'm really wanting to get a dog some day. i'm single, and chances are, it'll stay that way for awhile, due to career paths, so i figure a dog would make a great companion.

i want to do plenty of research before hand. i've kind of settled on the Labrador Retriever breed. i chose them because i've heard their temperament is great, they train well, and are good hunters. one of my debates is what sub-breed (correct classification?). black, yellow, or chocolate? my buddy has a chocolate lab that's super hyper. i don't want a real hyper dog. another buddy has a yellow lab, and he's very quiet and reserved. i don't know much about the black labs, but i love the looks of them.

i want my dog to be active enough to have energy for retreiving game, playing a game of fetch, wrestling around a bit, but also calm enough to sit on the couch and watch a movie with me, sit in a boat calmly, not tear up the house when i'm gone or bark his head off all the time. the dog will be hunting waterfowl, upland game birds and fishing with me.

i know alot of this will come through training, but what sub-breed would be best suited to this?

another debate i'm having is whether to buy a puppy or get a dog that's grown up a bit and maybe housetrained already. i know that stuff like training is easier when they are a puppy, but they require almost 24/7 watching for the first couple months. i can't really take that much time off work. a week or so to accustom a dog to my house and such i could manage.

don't get me wrong, i'm not going to get a dog and neglect it. it will be my constant companion when i'm not at work. it'll ride in the truck with me, hunt and fish with me, run and bike with me, play with me, watch movies with me and help me fix my truck. basically, the dog will literally be my best friend. i just don't think i can afford the time to start with a puppy.

what are the difficulties in getting an older dog? will it still be trainable for hunting? will i be able to buy one that has good lines?

what else should i know about both puppies and older dogs? what should i know about Labradors in general?

remember, i have time on my side, and i'm not rushing into a decision to buy a dog. i want to make the right choice, so that me and that dog can have a great time together for a long time.

srupp
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
hmmm had labs for 30 years..black ....yellow ....chocolat..they are colors not different breeds...I have had both males and females blacks and yellows..I MUCH prefer females that are fixed..and personal preferance is black in color

get a PUPPY, 6 weeks is max or min..you should be able to train it for potty trips in 3 days...

its NOT the dog..its the OWNER..you get out what ya put in..lots of love and affection...perfect companion..the problem areas of any dog reflect the deficiencies of its training,its owner..and usually are a result of too little tiem and not trying to speed up the training by force..consistency IS key to any good dog/owner relationship..
barking, jumping agreesivness..are all different deficiencies in the owners training of their pet.

best of luck

Steven

Kitimat Killer
09-03-2008, 11:26 PM
hey hows it going i just got my black lab female last year had her retrieving ducks at 4 months not the best but she would bring them back to me loves the shot gun and now i can't leave the house with out her if you want im breader is having more pups should be ready in october she's from the island and will fly the dogs any where the mom is a black lab and the dad is a yellow if you want more info pm me and i'll let you know more
kk here is a couple pics of sitka
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/n615940112_3791955_7612.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9986&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=777)

fowl language
09-04-2008, 05:55 AM
spend some money and buy richard woolters books either gun dog or water dog. this will help immensely.available at cabelas.and as srupp said time spent and consistancy are the key.dont let the dog rule you as you are the alpha dog .had labs of all colours all my life and colour is just a preferance.spend some time with the litter if you get a pup and observe who is most dominant and who is most submissive and pick in between,this can also be determined buy holding them upside down and see which squirms the most or least.sheryl young in mission is the lab rescue lady and has dogs most of the time. i got one from her 15 yrs. ago and after a couple of months of time it was probably one of if not the best dog i have had......fowl

Tarp Man
09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
One suggestion is to spend time with your new pup at a trainers together. It is important for your dog to have consistency in commands and expectations. It also is a great way for you to see how a professional does it. My dad "rescued" a chocolate lab pup that was a year old and spent the first year of his life chained to a tree in the yard. He started out with my dad as a dog on crack... super hyper and just plain stoked to be around someone, anyone who would pay attention. It took a good 6 weeks of training and consistency, but he turned out great. He still is high energy, but is obedient. After seeing that transition, anything is possible. He is a great dog, and loves people. He also will listen to commands consistently.

If I could have a dog, I would go with a lab. I grew up with golden retrievers, and still enjoy them, but the shorter hair on the labs is a significant benefit for keeping them clean coming from the field.

srupp
09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
beautiful lab KK looks just like our Morgan..labs temperment is such that they will put up with INCREDIBLE PAIN..they WILL do anything and everything while injured in an attempt to PLEASE....they are THE MOST loyal of pets..and for the past 10 years have been voted the # 1 dog choice..

problems with labs..well with the drop over ears they are prone to ear infections get epiotic etc and keep em washed and shiney clean..ALSO the two glands sacs on the inside of the rear end tend to plug up and if not delt with may rupture $$$$$ causing a split on the offending side of the anus requiring some $$$ ..the dog will start to lick their bum when it gets uncomfortable..IF trained its a home do it your self job..k-y rubber glove and some paper towel..

TIP..when you get your puppy..YOU are the alpha male..NEVER repeat a command..one command no raising your voice..then IMMEDIATLY go help the puppy be obedient...

Also from DAY one TOUCH YOUR PUPPY EVERYWHERE...EVERYWHERE... helps for vets visits or just grooming or injuries..VERY IMPORTANT...EVERYWHERE.....
Also introduce the pup to other dogs and humans..when your pup is on lead and meets another people..train the pup to imediatly STOP AND SIT..stop and sit means quieter disposition = no big deal to the pup and more importantly a sitting dog is not a jumping up on people dog..very very important social grace..

Bathroom tricks are easy to get the puppy potty trained...awww however getting them to FLUSH is a bit harder lol..
I have some great potty tricks...for ensuring your pup lets YOU know when its potty time and EXACTLY WHERE TO GO POTTY no burnt lawns or unpleasant landmines to discover..

cheers

Steven

FlyingHigh
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
thanks for all the info guys. alot of it lines up with reading i've been doing. so you guys figure i could be ok with getting a puppy, even though i can't keep an eye on it all the time for more than the first week? how did you guys train the dogs for potty trips?

JeffR
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
If you have time to look around one option is to check out your local shelter. I volunteer at one and have seen a few dogs that I think would make excellent hunting companions. I have seen more than a few dogs that seem purebred as well. Check them out, but you might want to keep your hunting plans to yourself. Not everyone gets that being a hunting dog is a great life for the right dog.

I have two shelter dogs. One is a Lab Cross (well, crossed with a Great Dane, so he is a bit of a monster) and, as best as I can tell, a purebred Golden retriever. I have hunted with the lab and he is not bad, but I can't wait to take the retriever out this year. I think she will be excellent.

srupp
09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
HMMM after 30 years PLUS with LABS..I AM an expert..

Steven

spreerider
09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I would check the pound out for your first dog, that way you can get one that is possibly already started training and you can go spend some time with the dog before you accept them,
with my dog i went to the pound for a year every weekend untill i found billy, then i started going in on my lunch break and after work to walk him and play with him an know that he was the dog i wanted.
i spent about 2 hours a day with him for 2 weeks before i took him home (i had to finish a fence before i could adopt him) Now i have the best dog for my family and myself i could ask for.

browningboy
09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
After owning labs....I know they like to eat!

FlyingHigh
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
i wouldn't mind adopting a dog, but the thing is, i'd have to have someone there who knows what kind of signs a dog shows that means it will be a good hunting dog. i'm pretty sure i can't just walk in there, find a dog i like, take it home and then expect to train it and hunt with it. i'm betting there are things that will individual dogs better for hunting/fishing than others.

what kind of things should i look for?

like i said earlier, i'm still some time from being ready to bring a dog in to my life, but i'm starting all the research i can now, so that i make the right choice for me and the dog.

Ubertuber
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
TIP..when you get your puppy..YOU are the alpha male..]b]NEVER repeat a command[/b]..one command no raising your voice..then IMMEDIATLY go help the puppy be obedient...

Also from DAY one TOUCH YOUR PUPPY EVERYWHERE...EVERYWHERE... helps for vets visits or just grooming or injuries..VERY IMPORTANT...EVERYWHERE.....
Also introduce the pup to other dogs and humans..when your pup is on lead and meets another people..train the pup to imediatly STOP AND SIT..stop and sit means quieter disposition = no big deal to the pup and more importantly a sitting dog is not a jumping up on people dog..very very important social grace..

StevenGreat advice. You should only have to say the command once rather than sit sit sit sit. Use hand signals too.
One thing I'll say is to add something he/she really likes (like a liver treat) into their food bowl while they are eating. That way if someone (a child) ever interrupts them while eating, the dog will back off and an be happy rather than protective of their food. Hope that makes sense.

Sharkey
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
We have a yellow lab and he's great. Not always the smartest one in the bunch but he's as obedient as the day is long. We walk off-leash and I have him trained to 'sit' whenever a vehicle comes, and whenever another dog is near. And he listens. He won't leave the yard unless I tell him it's okay to go say hello to someone walking past. And as for watching TV with him - he just sits in his dog-bed and relaxes. When hubby is away at work, I wake up in the morning with him sleeping at the foot of the bed. He seems like he's a big suck (which he can be with people he knows) but if he's not sure of something, he gets protective right away. We're expecting our first baby in another few weeks and I couldn't be happier/safer with him in the house. I'll always have a lab - that's a promise!

Iron Glove
09-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Daughter was a Vet Assistant and she and her beau decided to get a dog. Using her Vet knowledge and doing a lot of research they decided on a Lab and 2 years ago got a Chocolate pup from a breeder in Princeton.
They both work and own a town house with a very small "yard" so there were concerns re exercise, leaving her alone, cohabitating with the cat, etc. I have to admit I was doubtful - big dog, little home, long hours alone ........
They did try to change work shifts the first few months so that thepup would not be alone too long and to help with house training. She was crate trained from day one. We also "baby sat" every now and then to help.
They did the whole obedience class routine and they put her in dog day care at least once a week for socializing and as a change from the sitting at home routine.
She has become a wonderful mutt, well trained and balanced. She'll sit quietly for hours but turns into a retrieving fiend when out.
My only concern in your situation is can you, as a single person who is going to be absent a lot really offer the time and attention that a dog needs and deserves?

FlyingHigh
09-05-2008, 11:28 AM
My only concern in your situation is can you, as a single person who is going to be absent a lot really offer the time and attention that a dog needs and deserves?

that's part of my reason for starting my research now, even though i'm quite aways from buying a dog. like i said, i want to make sure i can provide the best life possible for a dog. if i find that i can't offer the time and attention it needs, i'll wait until i can.

however, i'm not the party type, and most of my non-working hours are spent at home or in the bush, both places where the dog can join me. most of my friends are dog friendly as well, so when i go visit them, the dog would probably come along.

my concern is the first little while, before the dog is trained and when it needs the most attention. what i might do is try to get a pup just before my holidays kick in. that way, i have a week or two to work with the dog and give it all the attention it needs.

JeffR
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
what kind of signs a dog shows that means it will be a good hunting dog.

There are probibly people more qualified to give you info, but I will give you my 2 cents.

Assuming you want a retriever as opposed to a dog to find and flush game, I would say that you want to see how game your dog is around wild animals. Take the dog for a walk in an area that has lots of birds or squirrels. Put the dog on a longer leash and see how hard the dog is willing to work to find the game. Will the dog charge into bush and brambles after its prey, or stop when the going gets tough? When my dogs get around game you can see a real focus in their actions, they can get almost twitchy, and are very intense.

I would also look for a dog that is going to be readily trainable. Find one that looks back to you often, looking for instuction. A dog that is defering to you whenever possible, and has a genuine desire to please you. And find a dog that likes to retrieve. My golden thinks it is her only mission in life. She finds a ball along a trail, she drops it at my feet. I come home and she is happy to see me, she will go get a ball, a toy, whatever and bring it to me. She will never get tired of playing fetch.

Keep in mind that many shelter dogs will come off a little aloof or out of control in the beginning. Being in a shelter often brings out the worst in them and they have a lot of people come and go in their lives without developing a really strong bond. A dog wont really want to please you until it has a bond with you and respect for you and that may take more than one walk, so you are going to have to look beneath the surface for the qualities you want. Visit any prospective dog repeatedly, take him for a walk, or a run. See how he is at the end of the walk, not just the beginning.

FlyingHigh
09-06-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for all the info folks! i'm trying to figure out a time when i can get in touch with some shelters around here. i'm also talking to my buddy's friend, who also has a lab. he seems to have a well trained dog. i'm really looking forward to the experience of owning a dog.

JeffR
09-06-2008, 10:03 PM
The shelter in North Van just got a nice chocolate lab in. I haven't taken this one for a walk yet so I don't know much about his personality, but he is a good looking dog.

Blk Arrow
09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
There is a lot of good advice here. I would second Cheryl Young's name in Mission. We are biased to basic black. Be sure to see certification of hips and eyes of the parents. Labs, like all large breeds, can be prone to hip dysplasia.

We love towelling our black Lab off after a swim and having him dry in 5 minutes. I,ve seen each of our Labs caked in mud and watched it fall off when it dried.

Do your research and unlike kids you can get a manual to go by. Great family dog!!

phearless
09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Having owned and trained a great Lab I would like to throw my 2 cents in.
Obtain your dog from a reputable breeder.
I went the adoption route once as well. It didn't go so well. After spending a lot of time and effort with the dog it turns out he had some sort of mental problem and started biting when the training became too intense for him. Love ya Slick, but I couldn't risk him biting a child.
For a companion dog I would adopt, for a field dog, good breeder.
Most of all, be consistent, as has been said before.
IMHO, the labrador is one of the two best breeds out there.

FlyingHigh
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
IMHO, the labrador is one of the two best breeds out there.

what would you consider the other best breed?

i've been looking around, and talking to people who have Labs, and it looks like i'll be going the breeder route. i've spent time with my friend's Labs and started to learn their little quirks and such. i think i really want to start off with a puppy so i can start the training early.