PDA

View Full Version : Hunting next to uncut corn

CamoChris30-30
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
my uncles own and lease lots of acreage in matsqui flats were they grow corn for the dairy farm. because of the summer they wont cut for another month or so. my question is for advise on seting up decoys next to the corn in the grass fields and hidding in the corn. is this a good idea or a waste of time. they say they've seen lots of geese flying around.

Crazy_Farmer
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Its a great idea, either you can suck them into the grass fields which they may already be using or get them into range to shoot them as they come over. Lots of people have hunted this way, its a great hide and you can shoot standing up. I know last year we hunted this way as our corn fields weren't off yet either.

Setting up your decoy spread though you dont want to be too close to the corn as that'd be very un-natural. Everyone does something different but I wouldnt have any decoy closer then say 25-30 yards for the closest one and the furthest not past 45 yards. This lets them be far enough out in the field where you could shoot them on the swing or decoying but not far enough away that you will have a hard time bringing one down say past 50 yards.

Pretty much all the corn in our area wont be off for atleast 3-4 weeks now, it'll be prefect for the next opener but this early goose season will all be out of grass or off the water.

shotgunjohn
09-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Works the best if you can get out scouting just before the opener and set up in a grass field they are already feeding on. One problem with standing in the corn is that birds may come down behind you. They can be very hard to find if wing tipped in a 20 acre corn field.