PDA

View Full Version : Successful opener

MooseNuts
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
It was one of the best opening days in recent memory. I hit the road at 0500 and was hunting by 0630. By 1100 I was home with 5 geese, 1 mallard and 1 teal. If the tides were a little more favorable I may have been able to get all my ducks....oh well.

The dog performed well and the weather was calm and over cast.

Marc
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
It was one of the best opening days in recent memory. I hit the road at 0500 and was hunting by 0630. By 1100 I was home with 5 geese, 1 mallard and 1 teal. If the tides were a little more favorable I may have been able to get all my ducks....oh well.

The dog performed well and the weather was calm and over cast.

Good going Jamie, how about some pictures?

MooseNuts
09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
If it weren't such a pain in the butt I would post some....I'll give it a try once I get done all the meat processing.

Crazy_Farmer
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Way to open the season with a blast, a limit of ganders in the bag is always a good thing to go home with. Just curious what sizes of canada's you got into. Is there resident ones or do lesser ones start migrating through?

I agree with the pics, I'd be very neat to see the scenery up there and what it looks like while hunting out there.

Dano
09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Way to go! You got us beat by at least a week.
Hopefully we get a few birds when our goose season opens next weekend, I'm still undecided where to go but I'll get out both days for sure.
Just post the pictures in the gallery and I'll put them in your posts.
Dan

Crazy_Farmer
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I was just checking out the gallery and noticed 3 pictures from moosenuts so he must have put them up. Here ya go.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Copy_of_Picture_6155675.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Copy_of_Picture_6155672.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Copy_of_Picture_6155676.jpg

MooseNuts
09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for putting the pics in the right spot.

I'm not one to take many photos, but I'll try next time. When I was taking the pic with the dog I figured my day was done then another flight came over. That's why there is only 4 geese. Most of the geese are resident. As for size, my daughter is about 36" so that'll give you an idea.

I tried out my new to me sportspal canoe and new 1200ti waders today. They both worked great.

Hopefully the rest of the year will turn out as good as today.

Dano
09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Nice photos, keep them coming!
I have a similar photo with my son and a goose, my wife hated it when I let the kids pick up the birds. She really hated when I cut off a gooses foot and the girls went around the neighbourhood showing the other kids how you could pull the tendon and make the foot spread!
Thanks for posting the pics, CF.
Dan

MooseNuts
09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
She's going to be my full time hunting partner in the not too distant future. For her third birthday all she wanted was a duck call. I gave her the Cabelas catalogue and let her pick one. She chose the Primos PHAT lady because it was red. She's been driving her mother crazy but she is getting the hang of it. I taught her to say "three blind mice" (that's a Buck Gardner trick).

6 K
09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Great shot of your daughter, Her smile tells all.
If you dont mind me asking what load do you use? I've found throwing my shotgun to be more effective than steel. So I switched to Remmington's hevi shot BB 3' mags. Not too shabby but $3.10 a shot is kinda always lingering in the back of my mind.

MooseNuts
09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I used Kent Fasteel 1 1/4 oz 3" #2. All but one came down like a rock.