PDA

View Full Version : two bands so far

Marc
09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Well my season is going well so far. Picked up a pair of bands over the weekend. I'm pretty proud of these ones.:biggrin: Should make for a great start of a season.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rings.JPG

Marc.

Crazy_Farmer
09-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Cool picture congrats to you and marshall.

How's this for a band? :mrgreen: How much do you think it'll go on ebay for :tongue:

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Grandmas%20bird_640x480.jpg

Marc
09-01-2008, 01:10 PM
sweet looking band, can you imagine the looks you'd get if you had that one your call lanyard. :biggrin:

Crazy_Farmer
09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I should start hitting up all the old-folks homes and stealing them, I could make a new lanyard out of fishing line or something :p There most be some pro-staffers from the states who are in need of bands to make them look more professional.

kastles
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Stupid noobie question. are these off geese or ducks?

Marc
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
No such thing as a stupid question. Actually the bands in the first picture are for a CKC Hunt test for Dogs. There are similar in size to what you'd find on a large duck.

Here is a picture of a large drake black duck I shot back east with a band on it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Black_duck.JPG

6 K
09-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I've hunted waterfoul since I was twelve. I have never even see one of those in real life. Maybe the area I hunt?!?
Do you have to report them or is it voluntary and to who?

Marc
09-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I've hunted waterfoul since I was twelve. I have never even see one of those in real life. Maybe the area I hunt?!?
Do you have to report them or is it voluntary and to who?

You should report it, it's free. There is a toll free number on the bands and you just call it up and give them the number on the band. You get to keep the band and they send you off a report card that tells you what breed, sex, and roughly the age of the bird, and where it was banded. I've only ever shot 5 with bands, 3 in the same day. It helps if you're in an area where banding takes place or a popular flyway.

Chuck
09-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I just love the humor and bsin guys - keep it up! That game bird pic takes the cake too....

Dano
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Did you get a ribbon too Marc? Those bands are more my style, I would proudly wear those on a dog training whistle.
Dan

Marc
09-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Did you get a ribbon too Marc? Those bands are more my style, I would proudly wear those on a dog training whistle.
Dan

Hey Dano,

I also received two ribbons that will be hung hopefully high enough that the dog can't reach them :)

Ian F.
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Well done Marshall!

One more to go for Junior if I remember right.

How was 2 days of tests on that Knee of yours?

Ian

Marc
09-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Well done Marshall!

One more to go for Junior if I remember right.

How was 2 days of tests on that Knee of yours?

Ian

He only needs one more pass to get his Junior Qualification so we have high hopes he'll get it done in Abbotsford. I had him out retrieving tonight and he's his own worst enemy. He just plows through everything this time he slamed into something and flipped over himself. If I can keep him in one piece for two weeks we should be good to go. Can't wait to try him on real birds this fall.

Surprisingly the knee isn't doing to bad for less then a week. The crutches have been put away since about Thursday night. I used them a couple of times Saturday at the trial but it was more dangerous with them then without with the black berry vines and tall grass. Didn't bother bringing them along on Sunday and not feeling to bad today. I don't plan on doing any marathons in the near future but for less then a week from surgery I'm quite pleased with how things are going.

6 K
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
You should report it, it's free. There is a toll free number on the bands and you just call it up and give them the number on the band. You get to keep the band and they send you off a report card that tells you what breed, sex, and roughly the age of the bird, and where it was banded. I've only ever shot 5 with bands, 3 in the same day. It helps if you're in an area where banding takes place or a popular flyway.

Thanks for the reply. That is kinda cool. I guess not too many get banded around here.