PDA

View Full Version : "yikes"

twanger
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Today @ work, ran into this little fellow, about 3 1/2 feet long :twisted:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/P8280220.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=10319&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/P8280216.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=10316&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

twanger
08-28-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/P8280219.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=10318&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

springpin
08-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Cool..the only Rattler I've seen, was in Georgia.

twanger
08-28-2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/P8280218.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=10317&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Wild one
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Did ya give him a kiss

Avalanche123
08-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow.......part of living in the dry belt I guess!

Mr. Dean
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM
COOL!
I've always been fasinated w/ snakes. That's a goodun'.

ruttinbuck
08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Out by the Lake?RB

finish
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Up in Lac Du Bois?

mark
08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
so did you poke him with a stick.... or bash him with a rock???

bsa30-06
08-29-2008, 10:00 PM

I vote bash him with a rock......snakes creep me out!!!!!

Chuck
08-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Looks like some kind of hybrid like half and half.

Gateholio
08-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Looks tasty.8-)

twanger
09-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Found him on Red Lake Rd. Poked him couple times with the stick, made him a little mad then let him cross and continue on his way. :p

BlacktailStalker
10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
He woulda been 1.5' long x 2 when I was done with him.

phoenix
10-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I believe those are a protected species, I don't think you are allowed to kill them unless they are threatning you. I had 2 for pets for a couple of years, Rattle and Hum. I donated them to the Vancouver Aquarium when they got to big for their tank. Very cool and fun to scare people with.
Kim

ChilliwackWinchester
10-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I would have screamed like a girl, then drop a load in my shorts and run

Lone Ranger
10-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I love snakes. Definitely would have been a good day for me seeing that. LR

Pete
10-02-2010, 04:24 AM
All Snakes in BC are Protected Species. Unless you have a permit they are not legal to keep. These snakes are habituated to their densites and even with my permit I am not allowed to move them more than 500-1000m from where we catch them. This is the time of year when they are heading back to their den sites. Great pictures!!! Thank you.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Cool pics....but that one's just a baby:wink:.

Here's one from one of our vineyards near Oliver:cool:.

Looks like he's been doing his best to keep the vineyards mouse-free.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P8040078.jpg

SSS

Pete
10-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Of the hundred or so Rattlesnakes that I have personally handled, captured and or moved in the past 10 years the largest was 39in long. In speaking with another Bio. down near the boarder the largest he found was just over 40in. Anytime you find a Rattlesnake ove 36in it is a dandy.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Of the hundred or so Rattlesnakes that I have personally handled, captured and or moved in the past 10 years the largest was 39in long. In speaking with another Bio. down near the boarder the largest he found was just over 40in. Anytime you find a Rattlesnake ove 36in it is a dandy.

They've seen two similar sized rattlers near Naramata as well.

SSS

Pete
10-02-2010, 06:27 AM
The biggest I have caught and moved as well as the 2 road kills this year that I picked up for DNA samples came from the Kukuli Bay area just south of Vernon. I do have to agree with you on the snakes down south. There are some good ones.

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM
SSS thats a toad :neutral:
Arent they kind of like bees, when it gets cold they get a bit drowsy so they may not rattle before warning of striking?

I'm not scared of them, kind of find them interesting, as I do the "rattle snake round ups" down south but I sure appreciate the fact I dont need to worry about where I put my hands when climbing through the rocks.

Are there any kind of statistics on how many guys get tagged by rattlers every year in BC ?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2010, 09:34 AM
SSS thats a toad :neutral:
Arent they kind of like bees, when it gets cold they get a bit drowsy so they may not rattle before warning of striking?

I'm not scared of them, kind of find them interesting, as I do the "rattle snake round ups" down south but I sure appreciate the fact I dont need to worry about where I put my hands when climbing through the rocks.

Are there any kind of statistics on how many guys get tagged by rattlers every year in BC ?

Not sure what the stats are in BC. Maybe Pete might know more?

Someone my sister knows got nailed in Vernon a few yrs ago and spent ~ a week in hospital ...and some of that time was spent in a coma:(.

Funny....some of the bravest, bush-worthy people I know have Indiana Jone's Syndrome. :?
A few of them refuse to hunt Spences's until mid Oct when they're denned-up.

SSS

BCrams
10-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Funny....some of the bravest, bush-worthy people I know have Indiana Jone's Syndrome. :?
A few of them refuse to hunt Spences's until mid Oct when they're denned-up.

SSS

No kidding :mrgreen:

Pete
10-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Not sure what the stats are in BC. Maybe Pete might know more?

Someone my sister knows got nailed in Vernon a few yrs ago and spent ~ a week in hospital ...and some of that time was spent in a coma:(.
SSS

There are people bit in the valley every year as well as in the canyon and Kamloops areas 90% of the time you will not hear about it. The Man that was bit in Vernon a few years ago just about didn't make it. He was one very sick person including almost losing his leg in the process. Early season hunting (Sept) can be a real issue, especailly in snake country. Snakes are on the move heading back to their den sites. Do not put your hand into places that you cannot see into....don't go putting your face up to a hole or looking under a log without checking first. Watch where you are going.....Step up on to logs and then step away, you could get bit in the back of the leg if there was a snake on the otherside of the log.... Carry a stick to flip the snake off the trail.....it is not for bashing....just thumping the stick on the ground will alert the snake of your presence and they will move off. Dogs in snake country is not a good thing......if doggie sniffs a snake he is going to get bit... leave him at home. If you do get bit try to stay calm....Yah right!!!! Get away from the snake..... no problem here
Here are some do's and don'ts
- Do not try to suck out the poison, it will transfer into your mouth and your lips can fall off.... eeeek!!!!! you can buy commercial extractors that do that job... the one I use is called a Sawyer Extractor
- Do not cut open the area....cutting makes a real mess and increases the area where the venom can be absorbed
- This REALLY IMPORTANT.....Do not use a tourniquet of any kind....Rattlesnake venom begins the digestive process for the snake. Your cells need to have oxygen to survive.....if you cut off the blood flow the cellular destruction is speeded up. The area of the bite can go gangrenous in a matter of minutes......this is very bad.
- immoblize the affected area with a splint
- use direct pressure or a pressure bandage
- if you have a tensor badage wrap the area as if you had a sprain
- Do not use ice on the wound...again it speeds up the process
- no alcoholic beverages of any kind....again speeds up the process
- Do try to stay calm
- transport to the hospital ASAP your greatest salvation is your car/truck keys
-Phone ahead to the hospital if possible and let them know that you have a bite victem on the way in so that they can be ready.
Good Luck!!!!!

roblikestohunt
10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I saw a rattler last week, up watching creek fsr...Slithered right across the road in front of me...

FlyFishBC
11-08-2010, 11:05 AM
they dont get too big up here, glad you found a good, fat healthy rattler and definitely glad you didnt whoop him either!

Jagermeister
11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Most times rattlesnake encounters are in dry area with sage brush, rocks and tree trunks. A sound practice is to never step over rocks and tree trunks in rattler snake country, always step onto the object, look and then step down.
As I started this post, I said, "Most times.....". Sometimes you can encounter them in wet areas tool. I had one of those encounters just north of Rose Valley dam years ago.
The Kettle Valley railroad bed in the area of Arawana above Naramata had a fairly abundant supply years ago.
My dad told me that when the WKP was putting a new line into Oliver from the east, they brought it through a rock bluff area where rattlesnakes were so plentiful, you could smell the pungent odor of reptiles.
One of the kids I knew was bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking up Penticton Creek, I think it was somewhere near the RB Guest Ranch or golf course as it is last time I looked. Funny thing, the only supply of serum was kept in Kamloops which created some critical wait time for John. He recovered, I can't remember how bad the bite got. I think one of his buddies did the cut and suck on the wound. I think it was around the knee area, good thing it wasn't higher, he probably would have died.

SHAKER
11-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Easy now......... thems is protected ya know? Thats why we got a fall any Turkey season here in Reg. 8. Apparently Turkeys eat them.

(I'm not make'n that up either, it was brought up at a MOE meeting)

mark
11-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Easy now......... thems is protected ya know? Thats why we got a fall any Turkey season here in Reg. 8. Apparently Turkeys eat them.

(I'm not make'n that up either, it was brought up at a MOE meeting)

Well if thats true, Ill stop shooting turkeys!

SHAKER
11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Well if thats true, Ill stop shooting turkeys!

Hounestly......... I can't make something like that up! Has nothing to do with Turkeys getting into Okanogan agricultural areas. Ooops too late.

And yes Rattlers are protected. Just like Antelope brush.