PDA

View Full Version : spotting scope vs. binoculars

bsa30-06
08-20-2005, 11:16 AM
i have never used a spotting scope and was wondering if there was any difference between a spotting scope and binoculars and which you guys prefered and why?

08-20-2005, 01:32 PM
If l only had enough money to buy one or the other it would be binos, hands down. I use my binos 100's of times to the one time l use my spotting scope. I find they are more versatile in what they can be used for, and are part of my regular gear that gets strapped on any time l go hunting.
My spotting scope one the other hand is a "job specific" piece of gear. It shines when long distance detail is required. Either piece can identify an animal at far ranges, but its a good spotting scope that may tell you whether the animal is worth the stalk......
lf l did it over again, l would be interested in seeing what the "doublers" for binos work like instead of spotting scope, but not curious enough to step up to the plate and buy one.....

Ronforca
08-20-2005, 05:08 PM
I use both.I have a small pair that I cary in the woods with me and a spotting scope is always set up in camp.Where we hunt in the mtns. near Hat creek ranch we can see for miles and often spot Bear,deer and sheep from camp.Also where we hunt in the Okanagen we can spot game on the hills from camp.
If I only had one I would go with the binocs.but in my situation it is nice to have both.

huntersdad
08-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey
If you can only buy one, buy the binos,if you buy binos ,buy the best you can afford.

zedex
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I bought the leupold compact spotting scope.10-20x.40mm. http://www.leupold.com/products/golden_ring_binoculars.htm. Bottom of page.I hang it around my neck like binos. They are TINY. Excellent optics. Good field of view. Since i only have one useable eye binos wont work for me. They will also screw onto your tripod of so needed. Love these things.

Fred
08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a small set of binos, a medium sized set and a spotting scope. None of these were over $85 or so and there are times when that 32 power spotting scope is REAL handy for Bears, right Mikey!! ;) Fred

gpoole
08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Binoculars are a must. Spotting scope is nice to own too but as someone else pointed out more a specialty item. I have a big bright pair of 10 by 50 binos and a small cheap pair (Optex) I bought at London Drugs. Guess which one I use the most? The small ones just seem to be there when I need them. For a first pair I recommend a pair of small cheap ones. London Drugs is a pretty good place to check them out as you can just pick them up and try them right in the store.

ruger#1
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
for long range i use the spotting scope 45x, for short range i use binnos. ive seen lots of animals at far away, and some wernt big enough to go after, if i used binnos i would of wasted my time . spotting scope is very useful in 4 points only season.or sheep hunting, its what you perfer, and i perfer both.

atri
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Just wanted to back up a couple of points mentioned above. The spotter will definately let you have a better idea of what you're going after and or whether you should be shooting it.

At the range last night, two separate hunters told me about animals that they had to let pass because they couldn't determine if had that one elusive point. One of the fellows was on a horseback elk hunt. He had gone into the timber and sussed out a fine looking bull but couldn't determine if it was a six pointer. The critter was big but the what with the angle and the maginification of his binos, he could 'nt be sure and to his credit passed on the shot. His hunting buddy however was with the horses and saw the situation with the benefit of a spotting scope. When the hunter returned to the horses, his buddy asked why he didn't shoot and that it was a totally legal bull. The advice he passed on last night with a chagrin was to never pack the spotting scope with the horse.;)