PDA

View Full Version : Alberta help!

zaconb
08-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I will be in Calgary for a family get-together on Oct 25/08 and would like to try my had at an upland (Huns) or combination upland/duck hunt the week before or after in Southern Ab. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I will be bringing a dog and all the gear, not looking for honey holes just some areas where I can run my dog and maybe luck into some birds.
Cheers
Rick

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2008, 06:25 PM
cruise the roads north of Vulcan .... I used to hunt alot North and east of Vulcan ... lots of upland and alot of ducks if the ponds/dugouts arent dried up

Wild one
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
You will have to go nock on some doors as the are on private property. Pincher creek has them but I seen them in most farm land with canals running through it. I would talk to the guys in Wholesale sports in Calgary they will be able to help you.

HuntNHookSports
08-27-2008, 07:17 AM
the guys in Wholesale sports in Calgary they will be able to help you Now that is funny.

From Calgary go as far East as time allows you. The farms get bigger and access easier. Most of the migrators will be gone but there will still be a few stragglers. Brooks is where the pheasants are. Anywhere there are irrigation canals there are pheasants. The "Buck for Wildlife" areas are public, and many land owners post their phone numbers.

CamoChris30-30
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I lived in Lethbridge last year and I would go to the huderites find the first person you see and ask for the boss and get permision to hunt the coolies between fields. Bring the boss a case of bear and he will let you hunt the hunny holes were no one else is alowd to goes

costellojoj
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I have not been through that area for a few years but, if you get off the highway around Bassano, you can follow the irrigation canal roads south of #1 highway that run east towards towards Brooks. There are a number of walk-in areas (Buck for Wildllife Program) running off the canal roads. Around Brooks there are some public release areas (Millicent, the Brooks aquaduct and a wildlife area just west of Scandia). At the county admin office in Brooks you can buy a county map (Newell County) that shows all of the county roads, water courses and details who owns what parcels of land. Once you get away from the pressure of Calgary you'll find that a lot of the farmers/ranchers are very relaxed re: access to bird hunters, if approached in a respectful manner. Since the hatchery release program has been dramatically cut back, there are not nearly as many pheasants around as there once were but there are lots of Huns, some sharptails and ducks can readily be jump shot from the irrigation ditches, if you can move along quickly and quietly. A good place to stay in Brooks is the Super 8 just off hwy #1 (south side of hwy just east of town). They allow dogs in the rooms (stay on the ground floor), have a nearby field to air leashed dogs, have a free breakfast available, laundry facilities, and they are co-located with a gas station and a Smitty's restaurant.

Wild Images
09-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Smoked salmon is the key to almost every gate in the land, that and a nice polite manner when you ask will get you some awesome hunting and new friends :idea:

Springer
09-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Yup like the others said the SE area is full of Huns,sharptails and Pheasant.
I have been hunting the Vauxhall -Hays-Enchant area the last few years and theres tons of Upland birds to be had in that irrigation country.
Is that a Wire hair your hunting with?
You know even just East of Calgary into the Strathmore area and Bow river district will get you into what you want and less miles to travel.