PDA

View Full Version : Fletching Arrows

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I just ordered some Gold Tip arrows and I am considering fletching myself. From what I have read, this isn't too difficult to do.

Any opinions or suggestions on the process? Should I do a practise round on old carbons first?

Thanks.

Dirty
08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Do you have a jig for fletching arrows? Definitely a must.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
No I have nothing yet. Obviously I'll be buying one. I want to avoid messing up a brand new set of Gold Tips in the learning process so I looking for any tips that others would like to share.

Dirty
08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
The Blitsbergers (spelling?) or similar are good jigs.

J_T
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Well a jig is number 1 (+/- $50). And if I remember you are shooting a recurve with 190 gr broadheads right? Rather than buy precut feathers I would probably order a little chopper (+/- $50) and cut your own. Buy full length feathers and cut the best part out. A bigger feather will stabilize those big broadheads. You will also need some fletch tite glue.

Before you glue on, rub some acetone on the shaft to clean it. Once your feathers are on, use a utility blade and take about 5mm of the feather off on the front leaving the spine of the feather and put a dab of glue on there.

With a bigger feather you might want to set them at 3/4 of an inch from the noc instead of the traditional 1/2 inch.

Fletching carbons is quick and easy. Wood arrows are more about the process and the artwork.

If you want supplies I can give you a source.

JT

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I use a BPE jig
http://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/mm5/graphics/BPE-PSF-1_med.jpg

Arizona Ez Fletch is pretty much the easiest tool around ...
http://www.bowhunting.net/NewProducts/Images/001-EZ-FLETCH02.jpg

I use Crazy glue "gel" a real thin constant bead is key .....

daycort
08-26-2008, 05:09 PM
speaking of fletching, has anyone tried those shrink fletching. The ones you put in warm water for a short time and the plastic shrinks tight around arrow shaft.

sorry for hi-jack.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey JT, Do you have a Canadian Source for the jigs? I am also looking to move to right helical so those Grizzly broadheads rotate properly. Any Canadian source for feathers, jigs etch would be great.

Can I remove the existing feathers from an arrow? I assume I need something to dissolve the glue that is on there.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
BTW, I ordered the Gold Tip 7595 for my 60lb recurve. I am hoping the spine will be ok....The arrows are full length at 32" Using the FOC calculator on the Gold Tip site, it tells me my FOC is agout 23%. Gold Tip recommends nothing more than 18%. Does this matter that much?

I can alter my tip weight and arrow length too but I think I may be on the edge for stiff spine as is.

I like the idea of the larger feathers you recommended JT.

J_T
08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Monty @ Wind Feather Archery Traditions 250 426-8565. Or catch him at work 250 417-2230.

You can scrape your old feathers off with a sharp utility blade. They'll clean right up.

Get on it quick though. He'll be out setting his base camp up tomorrow. Bowhunters in this area are pretty focused on Sept 1.

I know that in about an hour he'll be shooting his bow until dark.

shoot to kill
08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
You can remove the old fletching and glue with acetone.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks JT.

interceptor
08-27-2008, 01:06 AM
I always give the carbon shaft a light sand (scuff) with 600 wet / dry sandpaper just the last 6" or so where the feathers / vanes are going. I then clean the shaft and vanes with acetone free nail polish remover and also use it to clean my fingers to remove oils from my hands, some time it is tuff to get your fletching to stick tight to carbons.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Noel

Bigbear
08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I use the AAE Fast Set Glue on All Fletch Applications in the shop. It hasn't Failed yet. On GoldTip Shafts, Carbon Express, VictoryShafts. no special treatment in necessary.

gitnadoix
09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Fletch-tape is fast simple, I have yet to loose a feather....even after missing a target and going through a chunk of carpet.....(missing on purpose of course)

ya still need a little dab of glue at the leading edge to smooth out the quill, but I find with the tape I am shooting new arras in about 1 minute each.

All of your supplies can be found here in Terrace, Kalum Valley Archery is where I get my stuff.

Avalanche123
09-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Yep finally found the place. Thanks.