PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

Kid Hunter
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm just wondering how many people on here don't even hunt or have never actually gone on a hunting trip before. I never have gone hunting before but will be getting into it soon and I'm just wondering how many people are kind of doing the same thing as me on here.

BigDuke86
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Unless you call getting taken along when you were a baby going I'm in the same boat as you. Got all my stuff together and am hoping to get out this season.

Kid Hunter
08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Unless you call getting taken along when you were a baby going I'm in the same boat as you. Got all my stuff together and am hoping to get out this season.

Cool I won't be getting to go this season but I will probably go next season.:)

BigDuke86
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. My dad and uncles and everyone would go when I was younger but thanks to school and a few other things I couldn't go. I got a leh tag for a bull moose when I was about 16 but my dad had just started his own business so we never went. But now finally after having my core done for almost 10 years and having my gun lisence for about 2 it looks like me and a buddy are going to try and get out for mule deer this season...didn't get the moose leh :(

Kid Hunter
08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Too bad you couldn't go when you were younger.... and too bad you didnt get to go get a moose I bet that would have been quite the hunt. Good luck on getting out this year :)

Wolfman
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I used to go fishing with my dad and uncles all the time when I was a kid and I fish to this day.

Haven't done nearly as much hunting as I'd like...hoping to change that soon.

Went for deer when I was about 18 for the first time with my uncle, and after that did a lot of small game (mostly rabbits and chickens/Ptarmigan) after that for many years. Went for moose a couple times in the Yukon years back...

Haven't 'really' been out hunting for around 7 years now - family and career and all that have kept me stuck in the city - yeah, I know its no excuse. So I'm in the process of 'restocking' the gun cabinet and thinking I'll probably be 'back in the saddle' in time for Spring Bear ;-)

I'm getting too old to keep putting off hunting any longer. Gotta get out and Git 'R' done like the rest of these guys here.

Regards.

Wolfman

moosinaround
08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I used to go fishing with my dad and uncles all the time when I was a kid and I fish to this day.

Haven't done nearly as much hunting as I'd like...hoping to change that soon.

Went for deer when I was about 18 for the first time with my uncle, and after that did a lot of small game (mostly rabbits and chickens/Ptarmigan) after that for many years. Went for moose a couple times in the Yukon years back...

Haven't 'really' been out hunting for around 7 years now - family and career and all that have kept me stuck in the city - yeah, I know its no excuse. So I'm in the process of 'restocking' the gun cabinet and thinking I'll probably be 'back in the saddle' in time for Spring Bear ;-)

I'm getting too old to keep putting off hunting any longer. Gotta get out and Git 'R' done like the rest of these guys here.

Regards.

Wolfman
Geese Wolfie, get your arse up north here and well get yah out!! Moosin

FlyingHigh
08-30-2008, 07:22 PM
i've been getting out once or twice a year for the last 3 years or so. i love it! i'm totally hooked. however, i'm still waiting on my first big game animal. a couple grouse, a half million gophers, and whack of squirrels and a million popcans are all that have fallen to my shots.

Leaseman
08-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Just remember guys, those of you that live in the LML.... you live less than 2 hours from some of the best hunting in this province... get out ther, find someone to take you and as the saying goes.....

"GIT'ER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

compton
08-31-2008, 09:01 AM
You guys in the lower mainland have some of the best waterfowl hunting around right out by the ferries, if you can't take the time off to go north just go duck hunting. As long as you have some water proof camo and a shotgun your laughing. I used to go all the time when I was living over there going to apprenticeship school. Thats the great thing about it you can get out for an hour or two or the whole day.

jiggy
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I just finished my PAL today,took my core last weekend,would love to get out this year but probably wont get my PAL card back for six weeks so might have to wait till next year.I'm sure glad to get them done though.Time to start shopping for my first rifle,thinking 270.

Bow Walker
10-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I just finished my PAL today,took my core last weekend,would love to get out this year but probably wont get my PAL card back for six weeks so might have to wait till next year.I'm sure glad to get them done though.Time to start shopping for my first rifle,thinking 270.

http://www.ominecasourceforsports.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,810/Itemid,26/

Check out these beauties. They retail for $370.00 :shock: ...and Omineca is a sponsor of the site.:wink: Can't go wrong. I've got one coming, in the same cal as you're considering, as I/we speak/type.

Mr. Dean
10-04-2008, 04:51 PM
These guy's make me drift back to the day's of browsing Field & Stream and the SIR catalogue.... Didn't have intrawed back in the 70's, had too make due with what ya had.

Hopefully all your dreams can come true and THANKS for taking the time in trying to learn a few things - WOOHOOOO!

jiggy
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the link!

Jagermeister
10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Certainly more difficult for a young person to get out hunting in these times, but there is sure a lot of other diversions.
When I was a teener, you could go and buy a rifle and hunting licence when you turned 14. First rifle that I bought was a 303British and I was 14. My buddy and used to take off on foot on the weekends and travel up Pentiction Creek to the dam and course around that area that was burned over. Never did score a deer, but we managed some grouse. It wasn't that important to shoot something, it was just getting out and hiking about that really matter. It was a few years later that I finally got my first deer up above Vaseau Lake toward Venner Meadows. Others were taken from Crater Mountain, Darke Lake, Grandora and Anachist Mountain. Chased elk aroung above Naramata but they were always too wily for me.
Those were the days my friend, but you know, I think that the hunting opportunities are improving.
Guys like Jelvis, OldTimer and Hunter1947 can relate.

elkdom
10-04-2008, 09:16 PM
If you want to "HUNT" then get OUT THERE!!, get your CORE, get your guns,if your waiting for PAL,then get yourself a cheapo bow and get out there and hunt rabbits and grouse!! as long as your in the "BUSH" your learning! and do not WAIT for life to find you! get out and enjoy LIFE !! and what you discover on your own will mean a lot when you look back later !, good luck!

Big7
10-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Can't speak from personal experience, nor do I pretend to understand how it must be but I would hazard to guess that getting out hunting for a newbie in the lower mainland must be quite a bit tougher than living up north. Just to go for a quick hunt for deer I'm sure is an all day event depending on where you live. Up here, if I feel like going hunting, it's a matter of grabbing the gear, jumping in the truck and 15 to 20 minutes later you're there! Not bragging, just sympathizing with other folks (especially new hunters) who can't do that because of where they live.

NaStY
10-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Can't speak from personal experience, nor do I pretend to understand how it must be but I would hazard to guess that getting out hunting for a newbie in the lower mainland must be quite a bit tougher than living up north. Just to go for a quick hunt for deer I'm sure is an all day event depending on where you live. Up here, if I feel like going hunting, it's a matter of grabbing the gear, jumping in the truck and 15 to 20 minutes later you're there! Not bragging, just sympathizing with other folks (especially new hunters) who can't do that because of where they live.

Cost of fuel isn't getting much cheaper and 2 hrs to a local is hardly a hunting area. There are more idiots shooting BIG cal semi autos than i can count. I have taken my son out the last 2 Saturdays and it was a GONG show.