PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Elk Hunt

Avalanche123
08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Well I committed to going bowhunting with my brother and one of is friends in Alberta for the Elk rut. Looks like we will be hunting down by the Robb area. Anyway this will be my first elk hunt and I am looking forward to it.

The cost for licences isn't that bad. Most expensive part will be my fuel bill but that's the cost of for having fun these days!

todbartell
08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
hunting elk in the rut..I dont think there is anything better

Avalanche123
08-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I'd love to hunt stone sheep in the rut.....but the season closes too early. It would be interesting nevertheless.

I've read all the posts on elk hunting so I guess its time to experience it!

mountainman
08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Get ready for a new addiction!!! Nothing like a bull screaming at you from 20yards!!

Avalanche123
09-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Well tomorrow its off to Alberta (Robb area) to bowhunt elk. Leaving early AM tomorrow with a quick stopover in Vanderhoof to check out the Sitka gear and then carrying on to ouskirts of Edmonton.

I am sure there are better elk areas to hunt but my bro is a busy guy and this is what works for him so it'll be good regardless. I am not terribly optimistic about the odds however the change of scenery will do me good.

mountainman
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Good luck to ya! Should be a good trip, some decent hunting around Robb.

Avalanche123
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I may be break down and buy a whitetail tag for the added bonus. I'll post when I get back.

308Lover
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Born and raised up the Coal Branch. Have a beer for me at the Robb Hotel if it's still there. Used to be lots of elk east of the highway about 25 miles south of the Edson junction. New logging roads there now I guess. I have a Winn card for AB, SO WHAT'S A TAG FOR ELK WORTH? (iF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING.)

mountainman
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Wildlife Certificate $28.22
Antlerd Elk Tag $135.31
Then there is the Hunter Host fee for the person your hunting with which is $27.00

308Lover
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks Mtn Man! It's almost worth it for me! Old home week for sure.

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I will post a trip report later tonight when I have more time. For the record, the cost of tags was well worth the adventure!

mountainman
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Good to hear you had an adventure. Can't wait to see some pics and report!

Avalanche123
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Sorry for the late report.....

Our first night out saw the best action as we managed to call in a nice size bull from a longs way off but unfortunately he hung up at about 75 yards. This was the only elk we saw for some reason(?) Hunting pressure was very low compared to last year and there is speculation that this herd saw a lot of pressure over the winter from sustenance hunters.

Wind was also a factor as it was constantly very windy for most of the time we were there. In addition we saw heavy rain at times which made road conditons terrible (Alberta gumbo). Luckily we were able to hunt right from camp. We did see numerous whitetail deer however we only say one cow/calf combo our first day.

We did have one quad incident where my brothers friend slipped his quad, badly damaged his bow, and unfortunately broke his wrist which required surgery resulting in off work for two months.:(

I'll definitely go back as I enjoyed the change in scenery and the cheaper diesel LOL.

If I can resize my pics, I'll post a few shortly.