PDA

View Full Version : pheasants

puphood1
08-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I am new to this site so hello. Just a quick note to all the serious upland bird hunters out there.
Got back from N.Dakota yesterday and was running/training pointers their and had no trouble putting up 200 plus wild pheasants in a morning with the dogs. Most of them in CRP lands and private grain fields. However there is public hunting lands there called PLOTS and good success can be had there also. For those that are serious about pheasants spend some money on gas and see for your self.
I lived in the Kamloops/Clinton/Revelstoke area in the Great province B.C. and did serious bird hunting in B.C. for years (15) and then moved back to Alberta 15 years ago because of the lack of good bird hunting in BC. I have hunted in the past for Pheasants in the Vernon area and south to the US border, Chukars around Kamloops lake and Ascroft and yes around the Frazer river south of the Gang Ranch as well as Quail around Penticton. There was a few good days in 15 years but most were out and out poor.

For those inclined the birds in AB. look good again but for my money Montana/N.Dakota can't be beat with its BML/PLOTS program for public hunting and that is where I have been going for now almost 10 years. If the big guy on the left from Victoria can hit a few birds anyone can.......puphood1

huntwriter
08-16-2008, 03:54 PM
North Dakota, a pheasant hunters heaven. Been there a few times and always had a great time hunting these birds.

switchback
08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
What is required to hunt birds in the U.S.

puphood1
08-17-2008, 05:54 AM
You need a lic. Montana $125 or N.Dakota about the same. To bring in your guns you have to apply to the Fed's. and get a approved ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3d). Get it from the ATF web site and Fax it to them takes 6 weeks cost is 0. Have mine in my hand now and always apply early as in 2 weeks I am running after Sage Hens in Montana. It sounds more complicated than it is and is worth the effort....puphood1

Jimbo
08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Puphood, those are some impressive handsfull of birds !! What is the daily and overall possesion limit ?

Crazy.kayaker
08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
just getting in to hunting and I've been told there is lots of great land to hunt where the pheasant are in healthy number I've been told of some great land to try for them...going to go looking later this month. The Idea of hunting in the US seem like something I'd like to try but I can't justify paying that kind of money in gas just to bag a few birds. In the US is there a bag limit on pheasant?

puphood1
08-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Montana 3 daily and 9 possesion and North Dakota 3 daily and 12 possesion. If you are trying to justify the gas money for pounds of meat you have the wrong idea of what bird hunting is about. However for those that it is important to take a trailer full of birds home and money is not a problem there are private ranches out there that allow unlimited amounts of birds as they are released birds which is not the same experiance at all. Find a attached pic of a hunt a couple of years ago in the snow in central Montana (which can make for the best pheasant hunting) with enough birds to make the three of us forget the cold....puphood1

puphood1
08-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Don't know what I did wrong in the last post so here we go again here are the cold boys....puphood1

puphood1
08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Sorry about this but my pics keep getting deleted try again here goes again....puphood1

Crazy.kayaker
08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Montana 3 daily and 9 possesion and North Dakota 3 daily and 12 possesion. If you are trying to justify the gas money for pounds of meat you have the wrong idea of what bird hunting is about. However for those that it is important to take a trailer full of birds home and money is not a problem there are private ranches out there that allow unlimited amounts of birds as they are released birds which is not the same experiance at all. Find a attached pic of a hunt a couple of years ago in the snow in central Montana (which can make for the best pheasant hunting) with enough birds to make the three of us forget the cold....puphood1

I'm getting in to hunting so I can have a meat that isn't full of chemicals and steroids. I can't eat commercial turkey for just that reason and have trouble when I eat cow and chicken. But I don't have the finances that allow me to spend $500-$1000 for 9 or 12 birds no matter how you put it. Some hunt for fun and don't mind spending that much for a hunt. I got in to shooting and hunting for healthy and real meat.

But I must say those are some nice looking birds.

Buck
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
If not this year i'll be doing a trip there with my DD pup next year.Be nice to train her steady to wing and shot on real birds.

puphood1
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Nice looking Pup but should n't need the wet suit as it takes away from the whole purpose of the breed and purpose of the coat don't you think? My 2nd. GWP I owned in the 80's would break ice to get a downed birds in the late season. Always take 2 of my GWP's later in the year with me hunting pheasants but always start the season with the E.Pointers till the snow flies then to hard to keep track of them as they are all white...puphood1

HuntNHookSports
08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice looking Pup but should n't need the wet suit as it takes away from the whole purpose of the breed and purpose of the coat don't you think? My 2nd. GWP I owned in the 80's would break ice to get a downed birds in the late season. Always take 2 of my GWP's later in the year with me hunting pheasants but always start the season with the E.Pointers till the snow flies then to hard to keep track of them as they are all white...puphood1

Wearing a neoprene vest upland hunting can kill a dog.
That dog is hunting ducks. Even a thick coated lab needs a vest when hunting ducks on a slow and cold winter day.

HuntNHookSports
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know where you are hunting in AB but I limit every day I go out. Often with a double.

Buck
08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
The Vest is for Late winter you can't see in that picture but the ice is a 1/4 inch thick that day.It also protects her belly from the thickets in the water.

Jimbo
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Puphood, several years ago I heard that there was good pheasant hunting to be had in Washington state, around Wenatchee I think. You ever try that or hear about it ? Seems to be more doable than Montana or N. Dakota.

puphood1
08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
The Vest is for Late winter you can't see in that picture but the ice is a 1/4 inch thick that day.It also protects her belly from the thickets in the water.
Buck your concern for the dogs well being in cold weather is admirable and sould be everyones major concern when asking a dog to do something that is potentially harmful to themselves. No one wants to see a dog get into trouble or hurt for something that could be avoided.
The idea of a allround dog was invented for the modern family who could not house multi dogs for the field. Hence the popularity of the VDD and NAVHDA breeds. All dogs have there place in the field but they have there limits be it cold, hot weather or what ever. Those limits of any dog a smart owner must understand and prepare for.
Yesterday it was a 38 C outside and I ran 3 of my young E. Pointers off horseback for 20 min. and they were done (but not exhausted). However I gauged there gaits and condition as we ran and had plenty of water (20 gallons) back at the horse trailer to pour over them and quickly cool them down.Yes I could of asked them to run another 10 min. but that would of been plain stupid off me. All are back at the kennel this am barking and ready to go today again...puphood1

Buck
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes we did some training this weekend Pointing in the morning with rabbit drag.Then when it got hot 38C we did live duck search so she is in water.I'm preparing her for the HZP in Oct.She wasn't wearing a vest this weekend LOL

puphood1
08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Puphood, several years ago I heard that there was good pheasant hunting to be had in Washington state, around Wenatchee I think. You ever try that or hear about it ? Seems to be more doable than Montana or N. Dakota.
When I lived in BC I went to a few Field Trials in the Spokane area and the locals said they had good pheasants in the area. Also a friend of mine lately from Leithbridge goes down to the Spokane area to hunt Quail and Pheasants with his brother who lives there and knows the area. They seem to do well. However he also hunts MT. and it is his prefrance also...puphood1

HuntNHookSports
08-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Living in Lethbridge and going to Montana to hunt pheasants is like living in Sooke and going to Washington to fish salmon.
I guess it is a little easier for me in AB because I am related to every one from Raymond to Cardston.

branthunter
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
A bit off the headline topic here but the subject has come up in several of the posts in this thread.Overhunting and not properly caring for your dog (lab, Chesapeake, whatever) in cold weather when he is he/she is regularly going into the water can kill them. The killer is hypothermia combined with exhaustion. A really good dog won't have the sense to quit, they'll just keep going until they collapse or outright just drop dead. If your dog starts to wobble when they are standing or have difficulty getting up then they are in trouble. A good early sign that many dogs will show is that they're tail goes down and stays down. If the dog gets to this stage its your fault. You should always have a vest on them for cold weather water work or really low temperatures. Now that my male lab is getting older I actually have a vest on him for all marsh hunting except the warm days of October--but see below. Use your hands to squeegie the water out of their coat when they get out of the water, then fluff up their coat. Keep them out of the wind (nature's wind or running in a boat) when they are wet. Have some high energy treats for them. To give my dogs a break or just as shelter when the shooting is slow I use an old pair of neoprene chest waders from which I have cut off all but about 6" in. of the legs. Put one leg over the dog's head and pull the body down over it's entire body. They warm up really quick in this---just make sure he doesn't try to go on a retrieve with this on or you might find your self going in after him/her on a rescue mission. The worst cold weather combination for dogs is to be hunting the marsh on foot on a low tide when 6" of snow has built up and then the tide comes up and stupid you (read me the time I let this happen. I did have a log he was able to get out of the water on but it wasn't good enough) in your warm neoprene waders keeps right on standing there shooting ducks with your dog beside you in the water. Thick fur coats don't help much in this situation. Try putting on a thick pair of warm wool mittens and see how long you can keep your hand immersed in that kind of snow slush and icy cold saltwater. Another dumb thing to do is to hunts pheasants all afternoon then go snow goosing for the afternoon shoot in the marsh, especially with the new 10 bird limit under which the work and exposure for the dog is doubled. Your dog will be exhausted from all the running on pheasants and will succumb much more quickly to working in the water. Even if it is the warm days of October, the water is still cold---just try lying down in it for ten minutes while your waiting for the next flight.

puphood1
08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
A bit off the headline topic here but the subject has come up in several of the posts in this thread.Overhunting and not properly caring for your dog (lab, Chesapeake, whatever) in cold weather when he is he/she is regularly going into the water can kill them. The killer is hypothermia combined with exhaustion. A really good dog won't have the sense to quit, they'll just keep going until they collapse or outright just drop dead. If your dog starts to wobble when they are standing or have difficulty getting up then they are in trouble. A good early sign that many dogs will show is that they're tail goes down and stays down. If the dog gets to this stage its your fault. You should always have a vest on them for cold weather water work or really low temperatures. Now that my male lab is getting older I actually have a vest on him for all marsh hunting except the warm days of October--but see below. Use your hands to squeegie the water out of their coat when they get out of the water, then fluff up their coat. Keep them out of the wind (nature's wind or running in a boat) when they are wet. Have some high energy treats for them. To give my dogs a break or just as shelter when the shooting is slow I use an old pair of neoprene chest waders from which I have cut off all but about 6" in. of the legs. Put one leg over the dog's head and pull the body down over it's entire body. They warm up really quick in this---just make sure he doesn't try to go on a retrieve with this on or you might find your self going in after him/her on a rescue mission. The worst cold weather combination for dogs is to be hunting the marsh on foot on a low tide when 6" of snow has built up and then the tide comes up and stupid you (read me the time I let this happen. I did have a log he was able to get out of the water on but it wasn't good enough) in your warm neoprene waders keeps right on standing there shooting ducks with your dog beside you in the water. Thick fur coats don't help much in this situation. Try putting on a thick pair of warm wool mittens and see how long you can keep your hand immersed in that kind of snow slush and icy cold saltwater. Another dumb thing to do is to hunts pheasants all afternoon then go snow goosing for the afternoon shoot in the marsh, especially with the new 10 bird limit under which the work and exposure for the dog is doubled. Your dog will be exhausted from all the running on pheasants and will succumb much more quickly to working in the water. Even if it is the warm days of October, the water is still cold---just try lying down in it for ten minutes while your waiting for the next flight.

With out being critical great insite into the faults of the dogs and the lack of excellant breeding of breeds of dogs that are taken into the field today should be looked at by all those that are useing some of these great gun dogs. Simply the water dogs of past days were breed for a harsher enviroment/condition that their modern day family dog of the same reg. are not.
I remember as a youth the chessies down the road going out in Nov. in the Northern AB. fall for ducks/geese on the ponds before neoprene even made it into the wader market never mine the dog vest market. There thick oily/smelly coats made for poor house dogs and few ever saw the inside of a house but they were the # 1 dog in true cold water conditions.
My point is that most house holds can accomidate 1 mabey 2 dogs and have to compinsate for there lack of abilities not to mention poor breeding traits. Hence the man made sales of aids such as neoprene vests and tummy savers and what have you are to compinsate for poor ability or in some cases for dogs that have no buisness being out side in certain condtions be it -20 or + 30.
The owner of all field dogs should know the limits of his dogs be it poor conditioning, lack of coat, too much coat or what have you. Some times we ask stupid things of good dogs that arn't equiped to do the job. God knows I have....puphood1

branthunter
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
"Some times we ask stupid things of good dogs that arn't equiped to do the job. God knows I have....puphood1" And sometimes we ask stupid things of good dogs who are well equipped but are put into situations that go beyond reasonable. Even well bred, heavy coated, outdoor living Chesapeakes can get hypothermic if you don't take care of them.

puphood1
08-28-2008, 04:43 AM
"Some times we ask stupid things of good dogs that arn't equiped to do the job. God knows I have....puphood1" And sometimes we ask stupid things of good dogs who are well equipped but are put into situations that go beyond reasonable. Even well bred, heavy coated, outdoor living Chesapeakes can get hypothermic if you don't take care of them. No disagreement here...puphood1