PDA

View Full Version : Any ammo deals out there?

HuntNHookSports
08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Any body know of good deals on steal shotshells?

I am looking for 6 cases of Kent Fasteal in 3" #3 or #2, and 2 cases of 3" BB.

Would really like to get Remington Nitro Steal if any one has seen a good deal on them.

Friends don't let friends shoot Winchester.

Ian F.
08-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I've got some feelers out, will let you know if they come through..

Stillwater in ladner always has good deals on Kent

ian

Crazy_Farmer
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Do you still have a ton of those drylok #2s from reliable? I think I'm down to a couple of cases of that but want more. I'd definitely be interested in taking those off you. :biggrin:

Marc
08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you still have a ton of those drylok #2s from reliable? I think I'm down to a couple of cases of that but want more. I'd definitely be interested in taking those off you. :biggrin:

I tried some of those last fall while we were hunting together and they jammed every time I fired my semi. For some strange reason they were bulging just after the brass.

Crazy_Farmer
08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I bought 3 cases last year before start of season then bought another 2 near the end, still got around 2 cases, though the cases were only 4 boxs of 25. I love the shells never had a problem with them, I use them for everything ducks or geese doesnt matter, I dont have to keep changing from #3s or 4s to BBs when ducks or geese start to fly. Get em in close enough and 2s do the job fine. I know HuntNHook was saying when I talked to him that he didnt like the shells and either had problems with patterning or cycling but both my sx2, my brother sbeII and my dads two 870s havent had any hangups on them. I guess some ammo and guns werent made for eachother.

Its wierd your saying they bulge after the brass, almost seems like it could be a defect in the ammo, they did only make one run of that batch, dryloks 1 1/8 ounce #2 going 1550fps. All the other ones older and news lines are slower around 1300fps. Maybe it was too much charge, did this happen in both your guns?

longshot
08-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Last Year we got a great deal from reliable gun. We bought 20 boxes of Winchester Super-X Drylok Hi-Velocity 3" 1 1/8 #2. Absolutly loved them. And only 15$ in shipping.

HuntNHookSports
08-15-2008, 07:12 AM

I only have a few boxes left, but I might be able to round up more from others who were not happy with them either. Hopefully I will be dropping them off at your farm at 5:30 am on a weekend in October.:grin:

BTW Don't you think your DSDs are offended by you shooting those crappy shells over their heads?

Dirty
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
My brother had problems multipl times last year with not being able to cycle winchester shells in his 870. They would just lock up the gun. I had to pull as hard as I could on the pump to get it open . I cleaned his gun really well and lubricated it and it seemed to get better at first and then locked up again. I only had it happen once in my gun when I tryed firing some of his shells. I think they must of had a bad batch of shells. These were also the high velocity variety 1650fps or something like that.

Marc
08-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm going to roll my own this fall. I have a load that lobs a bit more then 1 1/8 (520gr) of shot at 1550 fps that I used on the sea duck hunt last fall. Seemed to work pretty good as we took 4 harli's and I think 6 Scoters and we managed to scratch two geese as well using #2 and #3's :mrgreen:

I picked up enough loading components to do up 200 rounds of #3 so that should last me a week or so :biggrin: Probably going to be over kill hunting out of the new boat but the ducks can't be to dead for the dogs first year of retrieving.

Josh if you want to pick up some components you can use my loading bench if you want.

Man those waders were hurting. Penny had chewed a hole in them on on their second season.:biggrin:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sea_ducks_with_Ian_F.JPG

Ian F.
08-15-2008, 08:40 PM
That was a good day for sure, those geese never knew what hit them, well I don't think the harlies or scoters did either!

Ian

HuntNHookSports
08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Marc I agree that home rolled would be best, but it is easier to find money than time. I think the only factory shell that would come close to hand loads is the Remington Nitro Steel ($25/box).
If you disassemble some of the cheaper ammo you would be disgusted...2 piece wad, sh!tty powder, pellets with huge dents, hulls with no beef, and primers with a touch of lacquer=drylock.

Crazy_Farmer
08-17-2008, 08:16 PM
BTW Don't you think your DSDs are offended by you shooting those crappy shells over their heads?

Nahhh, they dont mind aslong as the falling geese dont hit them. :p

We just got back from our yearly trip to Oregon for the waterfowl festival, got a few more dsds to keep the others company. Traffic was horrible going down becuase of a brush fire crossing the I5 held up for 2-3 hours and then hit rush hour in portland. Instead of a 6.5 hour trip more like 9 hours, with multiple stops to 2-3 sportsmans warehouses and also Cabelas. I had a pocket full money going down, and its a lot lighter coming back up :frown:

I'll have to go check my ammo and see actually how many I have left but we'll have to just keep in touch come october to see about coming over here.

And it was awful tempting to go buy a oregon hunting license and buy up all the heavy shot for super cheap. like 26 bucks a box compared to 50-60 for up here its a joke. Same with all the other brands.

costellojoj
08-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I had the same problem with Win 12 ga 3" loads in my BPS. The action would "freeze" shut and I had to depress the slide release and bang the butt on the ground sharply to open the action. I've used the same loads in my Beretta X-trema and 686 OU both with a 31/2 chambers w/o experieincing any problems. Have never had this problem with Rem or Fed ammo.