PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a goose kit, help please!

Mr. Friendly
08-08-2008, 02:40 AM
hey everyone, I'd like to get a shotgun and the necessary gear so I can start to goose hunt. I'm not sure if location is so important or not, but I am in the Kamloops area (are there good spots around here to get geese?).

I have to do everything on the cheap...I'm financially challenged. I don't really care what kind of shotgun I get...break action, pump, auto...I like em all.

thank you for your patience and the edjumication! :D

Crazy_Farmer
08-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Well a 12 guage is what about everyone uses to shoot geese, its depends how much you want to spend on a gun but you can normally find any old remington 870 for rather cheap, 2 3/4 or 3" chambering should get the job done. As for ammo depending on how far your shooting you can use shot size anywhere from close range #2s, to further range BBs, BBBs even Ts in steel.

Now this totally depends on you and your area but wheither you want to spend a lot of time scouting and finding where the geese are in your area, you may not even need the use of decoys. They may be going into a certain farmers fields everyday and if theres cover somewhere there to hide then you could shoot them, also if you find a place where they fly low enough on route to the fields you could easily just pass-shoot them as they fly over. If you want to go the decoy route on a low budget you could either pick up a few shells or even cheaper you can make your own silhouettes cut them out of thin sheets of wood or corrogated plastic. And then you could also start to practice calling, canadian tire has a couple goose calls, flutes, shoot-reeds, of the tube kind, its all up to you, you could even just mouth call to them by pitching your and cupping you nose and mouth. You can make goose hunting as cheap or expensive as you want all depending on your budget.

rishu_pepper
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
+1 for the 870. You can get one for ~$300 new. Feed some quality BB's for pass shooting (cheaper if you don't want to buy dekes); I recommend Kent Fasteel. Taking your shotty to the trap/skeet field for some practice wouldn't hurt. Camo clothing could play a big part too, depending on your area/situation of hunt.

I've only waterfowled for one season, and I'm already totally hooked! Can't wait for October. :biggrin:

todbartell
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
buy a NEF single shot 12 ga, and go find an old Halloween goose costume at the thrift store. A box of 3" BB steel, you're hunting for $200 or less

behemoth
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
The Kamloops area has geese but they are allot harder to locate than say, the Lowermainland where flocks of hundreds (thousands?) feed on the wetter fields. Up here they tend to be smaller groups. Having said that, there is still great waterfowling due to the amount of H20 everywhere. My advice is to stay away from the lakes that get high fishing pressure, find fishless pools up in the hills that have bullrushes and no people. You only need 2-3 dekes and a call. There is nothing like the rush of getting a group of Canadas to turn into your blind.

A couple words of caution:
Geese are tough birds that get shot at allot. They respond quickly to the sound of a shotgun. Spend some time with your shotgun to get to know your kill zone. It's most likely a heck of a lot closer than you think. Steel shot will bounce of these birds, or worse you may wound one and it will still fly miles before landing. This does not make you feel very good, so be sure of your shotgun skills.

A gun dog is worth it's weight in gold for this sport. If you don't have one, sitck to the fields. Lots of ranchers hate these "rats with wings" and would be gratefull for someone to keep them away from their grain.

There is a March season for 10 days in parts of region 3, great time to get out of the house for some action.
Have fun, waterfowling is addictive!!!

behemoth
08-08-2008, 01:48 PM
BTW, if you can find one in your price range, the Remingon Wingmaster is by far my fave for waterfowl. The worse the weather, the more these birds fly. In my experience ice get into your gun and autoloaders just aren't worth the hassle. The wingmaster is easy to take apart in the field and has been bombproof for me. A break action is also good.

Mr. Friendly
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
what kind of clothing do you want to have for your goose kit? I notice a lot of white winter camo for goose hunting in pictures. I'm going to guess that for everything underneath, woolies woolies woolies. just need to know for boots and over clothes.

rishu_pepper
08-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Clothing is dependent on where you hunt. Boat/blind/field/jump/pass shoot may require different attire. Waders are usually a good idea.

Crazy_Farmer
08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
If theres snow on the ground then white camo is a good thing, My dads even used an old white bed sheet and layed under it in the field back in the day, when theres no snow you'll be sticking out. Any camo will work normally, lots of options in anything from real-tree, even a thick jacket thats just dark green or olive can work. Some old-timers can still be seen in the red-black plaid jackets. Just try and find some cover on the edges of the brush or fencelines or ditches and try and blend in the best you can.

Crazy.kayaker
08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I purchases a Single barrel 12 gage 2 3/4 with a 30" barrel full choke. Would that work for geese and what shot works best for what I got? Now I just have to wait for it to show up.

trapperdan2061
08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
it will work however you may want to have the choke changed to improved for steel shot, i started with a single and did fine. Have you picked a place to go hunting yet. And have you given any thought to decoys.