PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in US?

sapper
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Anyone here ever hunt across the border in Washington? What are the regulations and challenges crossing the border? I have family that have land just across the border in an area with some nice trails and I thought it might be a good location to try out.

One Shot
08-04-2008, 12:48 AM
There is no problem at all. Obtain a WA state hunting licence first. Get a form 6 from the ATF (may be downloadable from their site). Complete the form with your personal & gun info that you will be using in WA. Send it along with a copy of your WA hunting licence to the ATF and wait for import approval. If you hve not have had any felony convictions or prohibitions from weapons, dishonerable discharges etc. in either country, you should be good to go.

David Heitsman
08-05-2008, 07:14 AM
You can buy out of state WA licenses over the counter and borrow a firearm from someone and save yourself the ATF hassles. I use to do it a lot back in the 90's. You can't seem to bring deer carcasses back across
without a ag inspection so I would get it processed in WA and then bring it up.

Stresd
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
You can buy out of state WA licenses over the counter and borrow a firearm from someone and save yourself the ATF hassles. I use to do it a lot back in the 90's. You can't seem to bring deer carcasses back across
without a ag inspection so I would get it processed in WA and then bring it up.

I was able to do same thing when I was invited to night hunt Yotes on Whidbey Island back in the 80's. Times have changed though so I would be checking into the current requirements.

trapperdan2061
08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
go Black Powder get a inline and just go down and hunt, I did it all the time when I was In Niagara Falls, hunted New York, PA, Idaho, West Virginia.

Have fun

bighornbob
08-05-2008, 02:10 PM
go Black Powder get a inline and just go down and hunt, I did it all the time when I was In Niagara Falls, hunted New York, PA, Idaho, West Virginia.

Have fun

I take it that was before 9/11. Since then you need the form from the ATF. The rule has been in effect for years before that but never enforced until 9/11, Just like we cant possess ammo or scopes down there either as they are considered implements of war.

BHB

One Shot
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I take it that was before 9/11. Since then you need the form from the ATF. The rule has been in effect for years before that but never enforced until 9/11, Just like we cant possess ammo or scopes down there either as they are considered implements of war.

BHB

Muzzleloaders are not considered a firearm in the US.

blindman
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't get caught with a loaded and capped muzzleloader in or on your vehicle or you'll find out that they are considered a firearm in Washington State. Look in the Big Game regulations on page 67 and read the equipment and hunting methods and you'll note that the muzzleloader is referred to as "a firearm." I don't want to see a Canadian sportsman get charged because of misinformation.

David Heitsman
08-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Muzzle loader can be loaded but not capped. I have a BK Knight 54 Calibre
that I used to hunt does with down around Oroville and Palmer Lake in WA.
I was always a chore to pry the cap off at the end of the day as I didn't want to fire it every evening. I really scored the nipple up as it was a really tight fit.