PDA

View Full Version : Probably a Dumb Question, but...

Jenn
08-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi all,

Question #2 ;)

This is probably really silly, but thought I'd ask anyway. What are the odds of finding someone willing to take an absolute NEWBIE out, not to hunt, just to observe and appreciate the dogs.

I see posts on here about how houndsmen are selective about who they take out, and turned off by those who just want to "shoot a big cat" and don't care AT ALL about the time/effort/dedication that goes into those dogs.

Well, this is precisely the opposite; I don't hunt. I don't have anything AGAINST hunting, I just didn't grow up in a hunting family and I've only ever shot handguns. Not even particularly well. But I've been working with dogs all my life, from detection and search dogs, to police patrol dogs, to military working dogs for specific applications. I've worked with herding dogs (border collies and kelpies) and I even know the basics of how to set up and train a sled team. It's ALWAYS been about the dogs.

I've never worked with hunting dogs in any capacity (used hot-nosed shepherd breeds for scent work in my "past life"). Now that I've moved to BC I REALLY want to get into something to do with the incredible world of hunting with dogs. But I don't want to hunt myself, just be able to appreciate the dogs, spend time with some great folks, and decide if at some point something like wounded game recovery with dogs is something I could see myself dedicating my free time to.

If you're tired of people asking you to take them out to shoot something, well, I'm asking you to take me out to teach me about the dogs. Anyone interested? :redface:

Poguebilt
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Jenn change your profile to show where you live... im sure you'll get a faster responce!

Barracuda
08-03-2008, 09:59 AM
There are lots of hounders that enjoy the thrill of the chase but dont do much killing that might be willing .
a little more info might be in order also like physical condition , age, any other issues? valid hunting permit ? and of course location.

Moosenose
08-03-2008, 10:08 AM
You may get several positive answers to this request.
The main reason I hunt birds is to take my dog out and watch him do what he loves to do. Most of the sporting dogs were bred for this and it comes natural. For every single grouse I would get on my own, my pooch adds about 5 due his his nose. I have taken him deer hunting, and occasionally elk hunting. Last year he let me know about a deer close by, that I would have completely missed. A few minutes later there was a loud bang. Another time we snuck within 20 feet of a cow elk feeding. He didn't make a sound, when in stealth mode he crouches down and sneaks like a cat. After we were within about 50 feet I had to hold him close by his collar, as he was getting a little wound up, but still never made any noise. The cow just about jumped out of her hide when she realized we were that close. Went about 10 feet and stopped and stared at us momentarily in disbelief, then trotted off. Good training for both of us. Hunting with a dog brings memories like this that will last a lifetime.
Pogie is right, put your general location on your info.
not a dumb question at all, if you are a dog lover, you need to see what dogs love.
Happy hunting.

Jenn
08-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks! I updated my profile.

I'm in Kitsilano, but would be willing to travel quite a bit out of the city since I don't imagine there's a lot of hunting RIGHT nearby. I do drive (or, at least I WILL be when my vehicle gets out here in a couple weeks).

I'm 25, and I used to be VERY fit (could run a military obstacle course with a Belgian Malinois over my shoulders) but probably now my fitness leaves a bit to be desired, just for the time being. I'd say I can do an UNLIMITED amount of more or less flat terrain without a lot of climbing and keep up. I'd be slow on a run that included a lot of negotiating rock faces or anything of that nature. My fitness is something I've been working to regain, and there are no permanent physical limitations, but I'd be most comfortable starting out with "light to moderate hike" terrain. Just wouldn't want to slow anyone down. :)

I don't have a hunting permit, but if I needed one even just to observe that wouldn't be a problem. I have been in the province since mid-April, but have thus far maintained my Ontario address, so chances are there will be a process for "legalizing" myself to go on a hunt.

Firearms experience: None. Well, my best friends are a bunch of cops that live in Buffalo, NY, so I've shot handguns with those boys a few times. Truthfully, I have enough trouble hitting a beer can on a post that I'd safely say I am NOT ready to shoot at living beings. :)

As for the chase vs. kill thing itself, sure I'd be grateful for the opportunity to go with ANYONE who is willing to have me along, whether they're more "chasers" or more "killers". I just want to clarify that I myself am not at all bothered by hunting if someone I'm with wants to do it, and my reasons for NOT hunting are very practical; I live alone in a 1-bedroom Kitsilano apartment and I have NO idea what I'd do with all that meat and hide! :D

I just wanted to clarify so that if anyone IS perhaps willing, but they do generally make a kill, they're not hesitant because they feel I'm sensitive about that stuff and would give them a hard time. I am VERY much against improper hunting or abusive treatment of animals, but the few hunters I have known have all been considerate and respectful of the animals, and were very humane in the sport, doing whatever they could to make a clean kill and/or quickly find an animal that had run off injured.

Any other questions I am happy to answer. Cheers!

Jenn
08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Wanted to add: a BIG question I probably forgot to answer is who I get along with... Which would become extremely important as a hunt wore on. :) In general I get along well with outdoor/wilderness/country folk, and anyone who can meet their hunting objectives while still remaining respectful and appreciative of the natural environment would be someone I'd be very likely to get along with. I'm a sociable person, having grown up in small towns listening to country music and surrounded by "gun and car guys" (despite the fact that my immediate family chose not to hunt) and I think my main reasons for wanting to get into the hunting community is because, quite frankly, I just cannot take anymore sushi, lattes, and downtown clubbing. You all are a way less pretentious bunch, no doubt! LOL.

Also, though I don't have much to offer, I think I'm fairly good company and I have been told I am a great cook, for what it's worth during a hunt.

Moosenose
08-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, conditioning shouldn't be a problem if you can run an obstacle course with some Belgian guy named Malinios on your shoulders. You should be able to pack moose out of the bush then too.
Hunting is not a race but sometimes requires a lot of stamina and patience.
Being sociable and social is good also, as it is all about having some fun with your hunting buddies. However, there are some times during a hunt when you have to be absolutely silent (chatterbox completely zipped), and have to become invisible.
You don't need a licence or permit to tag along. I have taken several people out, and as long as they are not packing a firearm it's OK. In order to pack a gun and have a licence you need to take the BC Core hunter training program, but that would be for after you try it and see if you like it.
Being a good cook is huge, expecially if you are camped out for a while.
You might end up being in charge of the lunch on a day trip.
The boys will lined up around the block to take you out on opening day.

Jenn
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks! Can't wait! I've already got a couple of PM's and I am hoping to fill the season between trips on the mainland and weekends out on the island! :)

Here's a pic from my "past life". This puppy is 3/4 Belgian Malinois, 1/4 Dutch Shepherd. As you can see, we enjoyed a slightly different form of hunting.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/203/hnickripley02zj9.jpg

The Dawg
08-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I handled a Malinois for about a year.... We affectionately called them 'Malligators', the bad guys called them 'Hairmissiles'....Jenn, you will agree with those terms I imagine...lol