PDA

View Full Version : Beef in your game burger?

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Every other category has a poll, so why not get the sparks flyin' in the kitchen? :p How many of you like to mix some beef in with your wild game burger?

todbartell
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I havent mixed it in, but would do so in a heartbeat. I eat quite a bit of beef, all from a local ranch. It puts most wild meat to shame

Moosenose
08-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Only on a very rare occasion would I mix in beef.
I use 40-50% pork as standard procedure when grinding wild meat for burger and sausage.

Bow Walker
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
You shoulda had a spot for Pork. It's cheaper and it adds the necesasry moisture content.

Kody94
08-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I blend pork in with sausage/smokies. I don't blend beef or pork in with venison burger.

Barracuda
08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
i think folks confuse fat with moisture as game meat tends to have a fair nit of moisture. I dont mix domestic with game in general kinda defeats the purpose of enjoying the full flavour of wild game not to mention the health benifits. if adding domestic makes is the only way you eat it then by all means go for it but i would have a hard time calling myself a meat hunter if i needed to mask or subdue the taste of game meat in order to eat it.

Allen50
08-03-2008, 01:27 AM
intresting,, mixing meat,,, hummmmm, well being a butcher and also have a sausage course under my belt as well, I never mix the meats,, if you want pork sausage, or beef sausage go to the stor and buy it,, now for game meat, well all i want is game meat and it's tast, i make sausage for friends and myself and do not mix anything but spices in it, it may be a bit dry sometimes, but that's when you learn to make your gravey and wine sauce to go with your game meat, remember your pork and beef have a freezer life, and game meat can last a lot longer, so if you mix it well your time in the frezzer is shortened, so don't be afraid to try just game meat, and the othet thing before getting the game meat made into sausage, ask how much it's going to cost by adding pork or beef, you will see that it add's a lot to your bill, because butcher shops are there to make the money, and the cost of adding the meat will be about $5 per pound more to your game price per pound, your all readying paying for boning out the game meat at a higher price then just cutting and wrapping price, then the price to make it into sausage, then you want to add pork and beef, at the price the butcher shop sell's it for. intresting, try it with out before you add the extra to it and see how it taste's,, make the sauce for it,, good luck,,,

.308win
08-03-2008, 06:56 AM
i think folks confuse fat with moisture as game meat tends to have a fair nit of moisture. I dont mix domestic with game in general kinda defeats the purpose of enjoying the full flavour of wild game not to mention the health benifits. if adding domestic makes is the only way you eat it then by all means go for it but i would have a hard time calling myself a meat hunter if i needed to mask or subdue the taste of game meat in order to eat it.

X2, I love the flavour of wild game, its the true "organic" meal!!

Perry

huntwriter
08-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Wild game meat trimmed properly tends to get very dry. Given the choice I mix some beef fat in with it. Beef flavor compliments the venison flavor more than pork does. It is the fat that holds and enhances the flavor from spices and seasonings.

As for beef having a bad rap or as someone said “the devils meat”, beef has come a long way and keeps improving. Canada’s natural and organic beef has an annual market growth of 30%. You can get natural or organic beef in every meat store even the big store chains like Save On Food carry it.

tuchodi
08-03-2008, 07:49 AM
I only add a little pork fat to my sausage to help lubricate in the stuffing process as just wild meat is very hard to push through. I still taste the wild meat so don't loose anything by the small amount of pork used.

mark
08-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmm... Im actually shocked at the poll results and comments! Over my 20 years of hunting Ive used alot of different butchers and sausage makers. I always thought it was standard procedure to use some beef fat (about 10%) to make hamburger. And some fatty pork meat in the sausage making process!

oldtimer
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I have added some bear burger to some lean venison. But only if needed. Mike

huntwriter
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Hmm... Im actually shocked at the poll results and comments! Over my 20 years of hunting Ive used alot of different butchers and sausage makers. I always thought it was standard procedure to use some beef fat (about 10%) to make hamburger. And some fatty pork meat in the sausage making process!
It is common standard in the industry unless a customer specifically requests no fat. No fat means dry burger / sausage and loss of flavor.

Geo.338
08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
We never add fat to he burger as we prefer the flavor of ultra lean ground .We do add 10 to 15 % pork fat for sausages though .We have also tried sausage with zero fat but for us it was a little dry .

CoqTrophys
08-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I only use about 10% in the sausage. Everything else is 100% wild.

huntergirl270
08-03-2008, 03:37 PM
My mom grows "natural" beef (its organic but she is not certified so the price stays lower for the customers) That is the only beef I mix with any of our game meat and not very often do I even do that. We get our side custom cut every year and request the ground "lean" so there is little difference between the fat content and flavor of the natural beef and the moose meat..

Bigbear
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
If you Need to add a little Fat , Beef fat is a little better Because it doesnt go as Rancid as fast as pork. that way your burger or Sausage will last a little longer in the freezer.

Gateholio
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
When making sausages I will add some water to keep in moisture, and I don't cook the sausage too long. That's what dries them up:p

I don't make actual hamburgers that often, so most ground doesn't need any additions of fat.

Caveman
08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
You must be kidding!!!!! That's why we hunt, so we don't have to eat all the steroid juiced up meat from the big box stores. That, and so we can all be ridiculed because what we do is cruel and unusual punishment to some of "Mother Natures" finest creatures that should have went out with the "Caveman". Short answer would be............. NO!

As others have said in the sausage making process a little "pork sholder" not the fat though

Avalanche123
08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
The butchers I have taken my burger meat to to be ground all have suggested adding some beef otherwise it is too dry. This hasn't been my preference but I went with it anyway. From now on, I will not add anything. It isn't that big a deal to me anyway.

tomahawk
08-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Sometimes I throw some beef fat ( 6%) in the tub and grind it in with the meat, makes for much nicer eating IMHO.

blindman
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
My meat processor puts beef fat with my elk burger and she claims the beef will hold up longer in the freezer without becoming rancid or off taste. After even a year or so, the burger is fantastic.

3kills
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
i through a lil bit of beef fat in with my game burger just so it isnt so dry...i keep it low as possible though...

mpotzold
08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
We always trim all the visible fat from all game animals(tastes too wild) & for burgers I mix 50% reg good quality beef with 50% moose.(don't like deer hamburger)-TASTES GREAT!

huntwriter
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
My meat processor puts beef fat with my elk burger and she claims the beef will hold up longer in the freezer without becoming rancid or off taste. After even a year or so, the burger is fantastic.

...and beef fat copliments the wild game meat taste so much better than pork fat.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Never.

I trim all fat off the meat before I grind it.

If I'm making burgers I use olive oil or eggs for fat to keep them moist

I guess if I shot a cow I might use some in my burgers:?.

SSS

Mr. Dean
08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Little bit of beef fat. not much, ~10% blend. Good on the barbi.

longwalk
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Always use a little pork fat to add moisture.

hannibal
08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
But I have cut in some lean ground pork before.

Phreddy
08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Beef with Game???????????? That's like adding water to good sipping whiskey!!!! Don't you realize you could go blind? Not that I've ever been a Champaign drinker, but wouldn't that be like adding 7-Up to Champaign?
Beef with game.....ptui! ;-)

newhunterette
08-18-2008, 08:27 AM
the whole point to us being a hunting family started with one child and her food allergies from store process meats (beef, pork,chicken etc) so why would I add it to our game meat and cause her to get sick

sheesh - why bother hunting and having the best quality of meats you can by ruining it with other junk mixed in

if I want beef burger I will go buy it (only if I have to) - forget about tainting my game meat

Phreddy
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
sheesh - why bother hunting and having the best quality of meats you can by ruining it with other junk mixed in

if I want beef burger I will go buy it (only if I have to) - forget about tainting my game meat

Marry me Ali.;-)

newhunterette
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Marry me Ali.;-)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Phreddy, it has been a long while since I had a marriage proposal heheheheh and my lucky day was receiving one from you heheheheheheheh

shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't be telling your wiffy and I will keep it a secret from Peter

we can serve venison burger (no beef) at the reception lol

Phreddy
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
My wife tells me I can get married on Mondays and Thursdays only. ;-)

Homesick
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I usually mix about 30% in with deer and moose burger. The local grocery store usually puts reg. ground beef on for a buck a pound during hunting season. But I try to avoid deer/moose burger and just do roasts and smokies/sausage. I mix nothing with Elk