PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Grouse

Huey
08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey there, just wondering do people hunt grouse up in the 100 mile area? Specifically around Sheridan lake? Never hunted these before but would like to use my new mark II 22 for more than just plinking. *Heads up rookie question* how do you clean grouse? Any good grouse hunting tips?

wolverine
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Flip em over on their backs, stand on the outstretched wings, bend over and grab both feet, hang on and stand up. Throw what's in your hand away and pick up the breasts with the wings attached. Clean em up like chicken and have at er. Try not to gut shoot em cuz otherwise they can taste like shite. The white meat grouse, Franklin/Roughed are more mild tasting than the dark ones, Sharp Tails/Blues. You're gonna love it.Cheers
PS. Hunt FSR's and willow thickets. Check out the conifers for the blues but you gotta be up higher.

MB_Boy
08-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Huey...

The method mentioned above works but some also just cut off the head, feet and "ass" of the bird once it is plucked. (much easier than plucking ducks or geese) Then just pull the guts out of the "ass end" and you have the whole carcass resembling a small chicken for lack of a better description. Make sure if you do it this way that you clean the cavity out well though. The above mentioned method with the "step and pull" is generally a bit cleaner for the "cleaner"....."generally".:wink:

For some reason I can't open the regs "online" but I believe....not positive but I believe you may have to keep a wing attached for ID until you are home.(haven't hunted grouse in BC but we did have to keep it on in MB) Don't quote me on that for sure. :?:

wolverine
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I didn't mention the wing because the wings stay attached with the step and pull method but you're right. If you are going to bring some home put them in a baggy after they have cooled off really well and leave a wing hanging out of the open end and then close it off with a twist tie. Then leave em on ice until you get home. Good save MB BOY.

Phreddy
08-01-2008, 10:51 PM
You might want to check the regs about shooting them with a rifle as well. To the best of my knowledge it's illegal.

The Dawg
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
You might want to check the regs about shooting them with a rifle as well. To the best of my knowledge it's illegal.

Just checked the regs...page 14 says that you can shoot grouse, ptarmigan and turkey with rimfire, so you are good with your 22.

wolverine
08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah but if you're using a .22 don't go all hairy assed and buy a brick of Yellow Jacket Hyper velosity hollow points. I love the ammo but not for shooting grouse. Go with either .22 long, long rifle or shorts.

Avalanche123
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah but if you're using a .22 don't go all hairy assed and buy a brick of Yellow Jacket Hyper velosity hollow points. I love the ammo but not for shooting grouse. Go with either .22 long, long rifle or shorts.

Why not out of curiousity? (Yellow Jacket velocity hollow points)

Junorr500
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Just got a mkII myself and i love it. BTW it hates crap winchester ammo. THe best groupings ive got are from Federal 36gr HP. Bulk pack from crappy tire works well. Dont forget to clean the gizzard and heart and eat them to. Tastiest parts.

The Dawg
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

It destroys the bird if you hit too low and get the chest.

thatskindafunny
08-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Make sure you clean your grouse imediatley. If you try the standing on the wings a half hour after you shoot it, it won't work. You'll only do this once.

The Dawg
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Make sure you clean your grouse imediatley. If you try the standing on the wings a half hour after you shoot it, it won't work. You'll only do this once.

x2

And make sure you hold your breath when you clean them...the smell is unbelievable...lol

thatskindafunny
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Another tip that you should know and I wonder how many times this has happend to other people and don't know this is when you shoot at a grouse and he flies away with his feet down, this bird is already dead. This happend to us one day and I said dead bird. My hunting partners looked at me like I had holes in my head. I explained that the old man (my friends dad) had taught us this. The 2 partners went over the bank and 5 minutes later returned with the grouse. A really good bird dog also knows when a bird is dead that is flying away. I have seen this with pheasants.

Avalanche123
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Another tip that you should know and I wonder how many times this has happend to other people and don't know this is when you shoot at a grouse and he flies away with his feet down, this bird is already dead. This happend to us one day and I said dead bird. My hunting partners looked at me like I had holes in my head. I explained that the old man (my friends dad) had taught us this. The 2 partners went over the bank and 5 minutes later returned with the grouse. A really good bird dog also knows when a bird is dead that is flying away. I have seen this with pheasants.

This is the first time I have heard that. Thanks for the tip!

wolverine
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM

I use those for shooting gophers and other undesirable critters. It hammers them pretty good and tears them up in the process. If you're good enough to make consistant head shots it won't make any difference but drop one just a little low..... and you might as well leave it in the bush for the bob cats. Like one of the posts says... you won't believe the (or the tasted if you got the stomach to get it into your mouth) stink. Gut shot grouse gotta be one of the worst.

Avalanche123
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Wolverine, when my twin brother and I were kids, we used to file "x's" into the top of the .22 bullet to get this same effect. (I think we read too many books lol). I am sure we gut shot a lot of grouse and I don't recall it tasting bad but then again my Mom was a great cook...

steelheadSABO
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
you can use any caliber so if your hunting grizz with your super ultra mag you can pop a grouses head off and its legal so theres no reason to pack another gun:)

finish
09-16-2008, 07:03 PM
U're scarin him!!!! Double barrel 12 gauge.... aim at head lift an inch and BOOM!!!!! No Head!!! LOL, I have also resorted to a nice little semi auto 22, it works great!!! Still take off the head! And the step on the wings method is the only way ta clean em.... not much meat other than the breast.

newhunterette
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey there, just wondering do people hunt grouse up in the 100 mile area? Specifically around Sheridan lake? Never hunted these before but would like to use my new mark II 22 for more than just plinking. *Heads up rookie question* how do you clean grouse? Any good grouse hunting tips?

scott, yes there is grouse in the area - hunting tip if ya see one plink it - I know they are easy to clean by stepping on the wings (close to the body) and pulling the legs - something like that but I don't do it - I let Peter or Braydon have that joy and it should be done asap

:)

hillclimber
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
i spent 2 weeks at sheridan this summer. Fairly good amount of grouse this year compared to last year. Had a couple close calls with the dirtbike.

nano
09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
tip, when walking go slow and stop and listen. some times they will get scard and flush. good luck.

Huey
09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks all for your help!! I was able to take my first ever grouse on Sunday, after almost running him over with the jeep! With the help from you guys I felt like veteran when stepping on his wings and simply bagging the breasts. 3 hours later it was covered in shake and bake and my 15 moth old and I were loving it!!! Good eatin!

3kills
09-17-2008, 08:05 AM

the first grouse i ever shot when i was a kid i made the mistake of usin a hollow point i hit in the breast and there was nothin left of the breast on the one side...

another tip on cleaning make sure feet are close the body and when u pull the feet make it one smooth motion....u jerk and it probably wont work to well...