PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Leupold scopes

youngfellla
08-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Has anybody else had a Leupold scope crap out from being pounded on large magnum rifles? I put a Vari-X II on my 338-378 this spring, and after about 80 rounds, it wouldn't keep it's zero. I sent it away, and Leupold sent me a brand new one. When I was up at the range today this scope did the same thing - it has had about 100 rounds on it. I just ordered a Bushnell Elite 4200, which claims to have been tested to 10,000 rounds on a 375 H&H.

Barracuda
08-08-2005, 10:56 PM
I have a B&L 3000 on my 375 h&h and although i havnt put 10,000 rounds through it i can tell you i have put plenty through it and never had to adjust zero .

08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
First l have heard of a leupold going sideways ....twice with different units! I have leupolds on my 416, 300 rum and stw, and have never had a problem with any of them. That being said, l'm sure you will like your bushnell purchase, l think the 4200's are a better bang for your loonie then leupolds.

BIGREDD
08-10-2005, 03:55 AM
I have never heard of this before either... Leupold test their scopes to higher impact standards than any other scopes in the industry... Very few other scopes will pass the thump test they subject their rifle scopes to.... Bushnell included.
I am of the mind that if your rifle will melt down Leupold rifle scopes it won't matter what you put on it.
I wonder if there is something else going on with your rifle and mounts... or with the way you are using it... just a question, not an accusation.

Barracuda
08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Th B&L (which is now the 3200-4200 )scopes have earned a well deserved reputation for being very tough world wide.
I would say that at one point leo was the leader but because the consumer wanted leo quality and toughness the other scope makers had to step up to the plate. Leupold standards are no longer tougher than any of the high end scopes out there.

If any of you guys follow air rifles and semi auto big bores you will see what i am talking about. The Elites seem to be the prefeered scope for spring piston air rifles which are actually harder on scopes then most rifle.

As for eye relief the Leos do have long eye relief which is usefull with the north american idea to have the scope as close to the barrel as possile which forces you to have your brow closer to the scope rather then perpedicular to the lens.
If you have higher rings so you lineup the scope to the plane of your eye you will aquire the target faster and be less inclined to be bitten by the scope.

I think any scope can fail but the overal toughness and quality on the high quality scopes of present (barring unforseable defect) are very good and it is rare for any of the high end scopes to fail just from use .

youngfellla
08-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I put my new bushnell 4200 on today, and with the same loads that were scattering all over the target with the leupold - Now shot two groups under 1 inch and one at 1 1/4", all at 100 yds. I sent the Leupold back, and e-mailed the Leupold tech and asked them about it - they said this particular occurance has happened before but is VERY rare, most likely defective products from the factory. That being said, they are sending me a new VARI-X III free of charge!! How's that for good service!!

cmfic1
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I too, have never heard of one single problem with a Leupold scope! And thats after owning nothing but Leupold, and guiding in Alberta, B.C., and the Yukon for 11 or so years!
I have had Leupold scopes on all my rifles since I was 17 years old. And this is including some hard kicking rifles. .375 H+H, .458 Win. Mag., .416 Rem. Mag. as well as 100's of shells through my .338, and my 6 lb 3 oz. .300 Win.Mag.
I personally would never have any other American made scope on any of my rifles!!