PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Vanguard combo

westcoastkenny
08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey y'all got my sights set on purchasing a Weatherby Vanguard.
It would be my first rifle to join a deer hunting party.
Anybody have experience wiyh it?

Thanks Kenny.

huntwriter
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Great choice Kenny. I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in .270 last year. The gun is very accurate right out of the box, easy to take apart and to put back together. Weatherby offers some of the best quality rifles on the market and doesn’t cut corners on the economically priced models.
Go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Brett
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Weatherby site says "8 3/4lbs"
Savage Arms package with Acutrigger is 6.5lbs and just over $100 cheaper from WSS
Not trying to start anything, just giving you another option

Vansmasher
08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Great choice Kenny. I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in .270 last year. The gun is very accurate right out of the box, easy to take apart and to put back together. Weatherby offers some of the best quality rifles on the market and doesn’t cut corners on the economically priced models.
Go for it, you will not be disappointed.
I'll second that.... I bought a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 300 Win. Mag in 2006. For the price, you won't find a better rifle. The stainless models are barely higher priced than the blued, so I would recommend stainless..... I went with the blued barrel, and I'm kinda sorry I did.

eaglesnester
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Very good precise, accurate rifle. Guaranteed to be .99MOA or less right out of the box. I just got back from the range after sighting in my 300 Weatherby Mag Lazermark. Very satisfied with the performance of the Lazermark and the Vanguard is reputed to be even better.
Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Brett
08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Isn't the Lazermark a $2000 rifle?

todbartell
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Vanguards are pretty decent. I find them a tad heavy, and their triggers can be pretty creepy. They seem to shoot well if you can overcome a bad trigger, and for the price they're good value.

happygilmore
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I bought mine in stainless 300wby mag. they are a bit heavier because of the barrel contour is less tapered than light sporters. Vanguard is a good start, I replaced the synthetic stock (cheap) and put a boyds thumbhole laminate stock on it. the trigger is heavy but with some tinkering you can get it down to a crisp 3.5-4lb. I give it 4 out of five stars, I wish I would have bought the sub-moa though.

Tarp Man
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
One word... Tikka!

Comparable prices, more accurate without paying for the "handpicked" shooters in the MOA version. Also much lighter to carry.

Blainer
08-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I personally believe it to be one of the best values for the money.
I own one in 22-250 with a Bushnell 3200 and it is a shooter.
I believe the Tika to be a better firearm,as mentioned above,but definately more money.
Let you're budget decide.

bozzdrywall
08-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I just bought my weatherby van. a month ago and i love it. it is chamberd in a 300wsm the thing shoots so good 3inch group at 300yd best gun i have ever bought.

08-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Vangards are imported and not actually made by Weatherby. They are made by Howa Firearms in Japan, and were also imported for a while into North America by Smith and Wesson as the model 1500.

I bought a S&W 1500 for my son back in about '85 and he's been using it successfully ever since, it has a very nice grained piece of wood.

I just bought a synthetic stocked Vangard for my grandson. They're a good quality entry level rifle for the price. I like them.

Both rifles shoot sub-MOA with quality handloads.

They're not of the same quality as Tikka which is an competitive level firearm made in Finland by Sako, but they're a lot cheaper. I like Tikka's also.

westcoastkenny
08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input.
One of the guys from work has a used 30-06 Browning he wants to sell....
I might check that out first.
The local shops want atleast $800 for a upgraded scope package.
Whole Sale Sports has the combo and a Bushnell Banner for $650.
Anyways thanks for all the input.

ps what is MOA?

Kenny

todbartell
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
minute of angle. basically one inch @ 100 yards, two inches @ 200 yards, three inches @ 300 yards, etc. A measure of accuracy

westcoastkenny
08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh....Thanks

Kenny

mpotzold
08-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Bought a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag in 1972(still use it as a spare).The rifle still looks relatively new. It has been & still is very accurate. Only one complaint -can't get used to the recoil using the HE Federal cardridges. I have no recoil problem my 375 & 45-70!

FLHTCUI
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
This is the reason I bought my Vangaurd, heck I wasnt even looking for a deer rifle, but when I spotted this target and the rifle being placed on the shelf....As they say "The Rest is history"
The second pic was shot using 165 grn Rem Core Locks at an informal 100yrd gravel pit and useing a table and jacket for rests. I am far from a great shot, but this sure gave me the confidence that I need in a rifle.
It may not be the nicest looking nor the most expensive, but it does shoot and Weatherby does gaurantee 1-1/2 in ch or better useing premium ammo.
:shock::-o Does Remington core Lock count as Premium? :-o:shock:
Rob

FlyingHigh
09-05-2008, 08:22 PM
the Vanguard is a great starter rifle, especially with the package deal from wholesale. you may want to upgrade the optics eventually, but for now they'll do you just fine. the Vanguard package is the one i'm reccomending to my buddies who want to get into shooting and eventually hunt with me. i'd get it in .270, lower recoil and cheaper ammo.